Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Relay Update Issue

tjmaclean

i cannot update my Relay G10 wireless. Please help me.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, tjmaclean said:

I followed the instructions and did the update and now my receiver is flashing red when the transmitter is plugged into it - why?  My transmitter light is solid green which means it is fully charged.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tochiro said:

Now my G10 is flashing red when on the base and does not want to charge any more!   Is there a procedure to downgrade to the previous version of the firmware?

No, you can't downgrade.

The firmware does clamp the charge to a much lower voltage, and looks like the older the battery, the slower the charging process (I guess they need the charging speed to be way slower to prevent overcharging). Sometimes does take a full day before the transmitter starts flashing green, sometimes won't charge at all, even after days sitting in the charger. Re-flashing the unit with same firmware, sometimes, does probably reset the memory, and you can charge again..but then after coupe of cycles, it will start flashing red again. Also, the battery will last only couple of hours... old , new, doesn't matter.

So, for now, just keep it in the charger for the rest of the day, and see what happens. If doesn't go green, try re-flashing again....

It's a ruined product, that's it.

I sold both my G10 because of this crap, but I will keep complaining over here, 'til I feel better. :).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OK, it’s been MONTHS since the bug-filled firmware update for the G10 was released. It hasn’t fixed anything on either unit. It has turned what was a reliable, simple to use wireless joy, into a nightmare of charging weirdness, 30 minutes to battery dying after a full charge, when I was getting 6 to 8 hours of battery life before the upgrade. 

I followed the Firmware instructions to the letter,  I updated both the transmitter and the receiver, and now my G10 gear might as well be paperweights.

Unless Line 6 gets its stuff together and gives us a bug-fix update for the unit, I will replace it with the Boss, or Shure or any brand other than a Line 6. I have recommended the G10 to several fellow musicians, but if you don’t do something about this I’m afraid there is nothing to do but bad mouth your product, whenever asked.
I don’t know if this is a lack of support from the Calabasas Hdqtrs, or the owner, Yamaha, but this is just infuriating to have an “improvement” render one of my gear favorites into metal and plastic junk. 

If it was so important for us to ugrade, then show us some respect, Line 6, and FIX THE PROBLEM ASAP.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProfM said:

OK, it’s been MONTHS since the bug-filled firmware update for the G10 was released. It hasn’t fixed anything on either unit. It has turned what was a reliable, simple to use wireless joy, into a nightmare of charging weirdness, 30 minutes to battery dying after a full charge, when I was getting 6 to 8 hours of battery life before the upgrade. 

I followed the Firmware instructions to the letter,  I updated both the transmitter and the receiver, and now my G10 gear might as well be paperweights.

Unless Line 6 gets its stuff together and gives us a bug-fix update for the unit, I will replace it with the Boss, or Shure or any brand other than a Line 6. I have recommended the G10 to several fellow musicians, but if you don’t do something about this I’m afraid there is nothing to do but bad mouth your product, whenever asked.
I don’t know if this is a lack of support from the Calabasas Hdqtrs, or the owner, Yamaha, but this is just infuriating to have an “improvement” render one of my gear favorites into metal and plastic junk. 

If it was so important for us to ugrade, then show us some respect, Line 6, and FIX THE PROBLEM ASAP.

Have you opened a support ticket? I know they’ve been sending replacements to many people if the transmitter are essentially DOA.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:46 AM, ProfM said:

I've got the Boss WL50, and returned after less than 2 weeks. It does sounds terrible (dirt and muddy on the highs, also tends to breakup easily), so I'm not sure it's gonna be a good replacement. This is why I'm so upset...the G10 was a so great little toy, a game changer with virtually no impact on tone and playability. I really miss it. :/

Just to add to G10 misery! I've just raised a ticket. I had a previous one for a few years and it worked great until the battery eventually lost it's capacity.

I bought a new last Christmas and had only used it a few times at gigs. Since the update it charged initially (despite the transmitter flashing red and never going to orange or green) but was it only lasting an hour or two. Now it flashes red and doesn't charge at all, despite all the various fixes mentioned on this thread. I felt it was worth bringing up as the unit and therefore battery are relatively new and so to me the problem doesn't seem linked to an old battery that has lost some charging capacity already losing further capacity through a safety update...

1 hour ago, krouford said:

I am very interested in any of the Line 6 / Yamaha staff reading this forum?

Generally, no... There’s a few Line 6 guys that comment now and then. Support tickets are the way to get in contact with Line 6.

Comrades!

Found a way to somehow charge the G 10.

Apparently, after updating the firmware, the battery charge is incorrectly determined and charging quickly stops.

In general, yesterday I took out and inserted the G10 back into Yamaha every two - three hours. And by the evening I managed to charge the G 10 completely.

Krouford. Are you suggesting that if we have a line 6 pre frimware update, we maybe able to charge Transmitter to full capacity and then put it on the base of a updated unit and it will work? 

Because I updated one of three units and two charge to full run time and one is down to 1.5 hours. 

If this is true it is a game changer if you have a spare unit.

My G10 stopped working last week. I did the required update in March and didn't have any issues until last week.  All the light on the base and the transmitter light up. I was able to get it to play for about 3 minutes and then the base flashed red an all sound stopped. I have opened a support ticket. 

Similar issue here with a 4 month old unit. Worked flawlessly until the firmware update. Since then, really inconsistent lights (solid for a few hours, then flashing, then solid for a few hours, then flashing etc) and, after a 16 hour charge, I get less than 30 minutes before the transmitter dies. Have raised a ticket and been told to try the firmware update again. Will do so, though I doubt it'll make a difference. Don't think I've ever encountered a firmware update that so comprehensively buggered up something that worked so well before applying it. And I work in I.T. Very unimpressed.

my g10 was also a great simple unit until the update. it went haywire as did everyone elses and they sent a replacement. now two months later same issues...base flashes red and relay flashes red after being in charge mode and no charge at all. filed another support ticket. what's going on?

They sent me a replacement G10 unit which has tiny blue dots.  Yesterday, this brand New replacement just died permanently and the flashing sequence is orange , red, red, red, red.

That's it. Will not hold charge, nothing.  I am reopening my ticket.  This is beyond annoying.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, sindongui said:

@chicovespa This is exactly what’s happening to my unit. I opened the ticket and after a few push backs from them saying this was related to my unit and not to the FW, (I kept saying my unit worked fine before the update) they told me to contact my local distributor, which in my case is in Mexico City, I need to wait until they reopen because of the pandemics. Hope they will be able to fix it , as I bought it on Amazon , not from the local distributor. Very disappointed with the unit, and the Line6 service as well, they should just have a new FW released !!! Thinking seriously to buy a Boss WL

@sindongui I have exactly your situation, I'm from Colombia but I bought My G10 on Amazon, not from the local distributor. do you have some news about this issue?

vlcsnap-2020-08-17-18h11m26s042.thumb.png.45957874bee9ccc3d8789142e4449d1d.png

Hey Blink go back to the Line 6 page. In your support ticket, have them ship you a Relay G10S! to replace the other model you bought. Then go to Amazon and provide a Comment to Amazon about the failure of the whole line of Line 6 Products and services. I have had 3 times with Line 6 and they sent my another unit. This unit has no battery punch as well as I can use it for about 45 minutes before having to recharge it, It's not practical for Live Stage Use! would suggest rehearsal use only or go get another SHURE or AUDIO TECHNICS Wireless. More money but way more Reliable and won't burn your house down!!

hi @blinkfredy, yes, I have some updates. I got a response for my ticket, looks like Line 6 US customer service contacted the local distributor in Mexico City and they wrote to me. They sent me a prepaid call tag (carrier stamp) for me to ship them the defective unit. I sent it like a week ago and now I am supposed to be getting a replacement any time soon from them. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. Hope they really close up this process, I've always had good experiences with LIne 6 products and customer service so hopefully this will not be the exception, even when it has been a while since I opened the ticket. 

There is a firmware (1.06) for the G10T. Should take care of the flashing glitches. Not sure will improve the battery charge lifespan, but I'm happy they quickly reacted to a evident issue.

"We have determined that certain Relay® G10T wireless transmitters with v1.05 firmware may not charge optimally within warm environments. The v1.06 firmware update addresses this issue to ensure correct charging behavior, as well as improving the response of the LED to more accurately display charging status.

The v1.06 update also incorporates the important safety updates from the v1.05 firmware released in March of this year."

1 hour ago, PierM said:

as well as improving the response of the LED to more accurately display charging status.

I don't get this, what is it supposed to fix ? The fact that the transmitter incorrectly reports the receiver capacity when it's plugged into the guitar ?

@PierM "quickly" is maybe a bit overrated :)

Just installed the 1.06 update for the G10T and it's fixed the problem I was having and is working again, have to say it's been way to long waiting for this update and not being able to use the G10 but i'm pleased it's working. Time will tell if it's fixed it for good so fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, Byds1963 said:

Just installed the 1.06 update for the G10T and it's fixed the problem I was having and is working again, have to say it's been way to long waiting for this update and not being able to use the G10 but i'm pleased it's working. Time will tell if it's fixed it for good so fingers crossed.

What was your problem ?

I installed the 1.06 on my brother's G10T, and battery duration seems pretty much the same (average 2h), but the erratic led flashing (red, then green then red, then red flashing base, white etc. etc..), seems fixed. Dunno if battery behavior will improve on next discharge/charge cycle, I'll keep monitoring it, but I guess what they fixed is the bad charger-receiver/transmitter communication, in warm environments (which would kinda explain the randomness of the glitches)...

Line6 G10T1.06

After updating I had to power off and disconnect the Relay and the T and reconnect everything again.

After 5 minutes of red flashes it turned to blinking green and later on to continous green.

I tested all and everything was working ok again.

The new 1.06.fw. does not let over 4.0V the battery voltage. (I measured the voltage.)
The first (original) fw. let the battery voltage up to 4.18V
Normally the li-ion battery maximum voltage is 4.2V.
2 hours playing time lost when updated it from original fw. to 1.05 or 1.06.
Line 6 does not care about the originally specified playing time.

I've done the update on mine now and unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem (reduced battery life). Still only 30 mins max of playtime both before and after the latest update. Would play for hours and hours prior to the update in March

On 8/11/2020 at 2:57 AM, rdmeier said:

My G10 stopped working last week. I did the required update in March and didn't have any issues until last week.  All the light on the base and the transmitter light up. I was able to get it to play for about 3 minutes and then the base flashed red an all sound stopped. I have opened a support ticket. 

hi, did you get an answer on your ticket? After having problems with the 1.05 update I got a new G10 and this one has exactly the same problem as yours.

would you guys know if they let us get the the old firmware? ll these firmware update since the march firmware release messed up my G10S/T. i couldnt get the longer hours on my transmitter anymore, yeah seems like only 30 min :( mine was wroking fine til i did the damn firmware update

The main problem is that: Line 6 did not inform its clients about the playing time decreasing before the new firmware update!!!
We had no possibility to decide took a risk of overheating or update G10. (I never had overheating.)
I think would be a good solution to let download the old firmware after user declares that accepts the risk.

Please try to update the new version I followed the Directions and it has Fixed my problem of color charging as Green Blinking not red. The update did give me an Hour of solid connectivity and I guess that is the best we can hope for!

Keep in mind, the Farther from your unit the more Battery Drain. So don't expect to be out amongst the people. I think it's a Social Distancing thing to keep you on Stage but Whatever!!

Please try the new new update and let me know if this solves your problems like mine fdid, granted I had to install, then unplug everything, Plug back in, then update for each time (Transmitter and receiver)

G. Scott!!

Also please note that I have been working with the Support Team and they sent me 1, that didn't help, then another which had same result. They finally Sent me a G 10 S! so the uploads worked to the G 10 S for the other transmitter. Now they both work close to an hour which I will deal with by charging 1 while using the other! Best shot I got so Far!!!

G. Scott

50 minutes ago, GSSArts said:

Please try the new new update and let me know if this solves your problems like mine fdid, granted I had to install, then unplug everything, Plug back in, then update for each time (Transmitter and receiver)

G. Scott!!

New 1.06 update is only for the transmitter (G10T). 

Have they fixed this for new units going out to new costumers? They are still selling them. How is that possible if they are they same units, and if they are now fixed,  peoples replacements are still bad?

None of this makes sense. I would like to replace my defective units but Line 6 doesn't give guidance, and this forum certainly doesn't. It's murky at best.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new one Line6 G10 two weeks ago (before reading this post). 

Couldn't charge it (always blinking red) until I was prompted to update to latest firmware.

Now it could finally change, but from day one the play time is up to 30 mins. And during the charge the green light kept blinking on and off, as if it could never determine it is fully charged or not. 

So they are still selling faulty stuff.   

Good thing is I returned it to the store I purchased from with full refund. Very disappointed and what a waste of time. 

• 2 months later...