Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Open source the firehawk fx app

Sipu

Would be great if Line6 could release the protocol spec or open source the code for the Firehawk FX remote if the support is really dead.

Community could FIX THE CRASH BUG WITH VARIAX CONTROLS on iOS or even build a PC / MAC controller application for this device.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this one?

It's pretty clear HELIX is the golden child these days however you still sell these units in stores. In saying that I understand product lines move on and you cannot support them forever.

Therefore, giving back to your customers in the form of releasing the source code (open sourcing it GITHUB etc) would allow others to give this quality product some extra life and would be a good middle ground.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, Sipu said:

Community could FIX THE CRASH BUG WITH VARIAX CONTROLS on iOS or even build a PC / MAC controller application for this device.

That’s an interesting claim. How do you know the Variax crash bug only involves code in the app and not the device firmware? Don’t you think it’s possible, even likely, that the fix would include an associated firmware update? 

4 hours ago, darktempla said:

..... giving back to your customers in the form of releasing the source code (open sourcing it GITHUB etc) would allow others to give this quality product some extra life and would be a good middle ground.

I think there’s a whole lot of valuable IP in the app, and that Yamaha (who own Line 6) would be foolish to publicly release the code to everyone (including to its competitors). This app was the introduction of the UI that is now one of the main distinguishing features and advantages of Helix in the marketplace. Yamaha is not going to give it to its competitors.

21 hours ago, silverhead said:

I think there’s a whole lot of valuable IP in the app, and that Yamaha (who own Line 6) would be foolish to publicly release the code to everyone

Whilst I see your point I think if architected well the iOS and Android apps should just be a lightweight facade. All the serious stuff (IP) happens at the DSP hardware/firmware level.

Obviously they are not going to share that nor would I if I was them. I suspect even if they did it wouldn't impact them greatly as the HELIX platform is way more advanced and the hardware much beefier than the Firehawk to be able to process the more detailed models and effects.

My sentiment is it would be good for line 6 to give back to firehawk users who paid good money and had hoped they would have got more life out of the product ie. updates and support in relation to bugs and features. I feel they jumped to the helix before this product reached it's full potential. If line 6 open sourced the code to the apps it would allow them to focus on the HELIX  rather than waste resources on the Firehawk (not that they plan to) and other in the community with the skills could iron out kinks and bugs and breath some life into this product.

I think the Firehawk is a great product.

On another point I am surprised the helix line of products doesn't have an iOS/Android app.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/25/2020 at 9:16 AM, darktempla said:

In saying that I understand product lines move on and you cannot support them forever.

Who make Line  6 GREAT?

The Helix buyer?

Of maybe all the rest buying the POD 2.0 Bean, Xt bean, X3 Bean, x3 live etc..

Don't forget all this guy's is a sign of RESPECT

• 3 years later...