Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp MIDI Control Surface

FiveBass

Do you or someone you know successfully use the Korg NanoKontrol2 with the HX Stomp over USB?  If so, what is the hookup and user experience like?  I have scoured the internet and not found anything specifically about this.  Please share information about cables and, if needed, intermediate hardware that has been used to get the two devices working together.  I am interested in a fairly direct USB cabled connection between the two with few or no additional power supplies.  I am not interested in anything having to do with DAWs or computers or software, except the Windows software that Korg provides for configuring NanoKontrol2.

(Please do not reply anything like "No", "I don't know, but you could try ...", "I've done something similar, but not with the products you mentioned", or something hardly related, as those type of responses do not help.)

Thanks!

The Korg nanoKontrol (and nanoKontrol2) can only be used when attached to a computer. This is because they require a Korg (not Windows or Apple) MIDI driver.

While attached to a computer you can route the nanoKontol's MIDI to the Stomp using either a MIDI Utility such as MIDIOX or through a DAW.

I own both devices, and it would indeed be really cool to be able to attach one to a mic stand and control a Helix (any flavor) like a regular analog device. The original nanoKontrol would be even better than the nanoKontrol2, as the NINE sliders, 9 rotaries and 18 buttons can be assigned separate CCs in 4 separate banks, allowing the use of all 128 CCs (vs 40 on the nK2).

Alas, it's not possible without being tethered to a laptop.

Wow, rd2rk, that was a quick response!  Too bad it's not what I am hoping to hear.

So does the HX Stomp really respond only to Korg MIDI driver messages, and not Windows and Apple MIDI driver messages sent over the USB MIDI bus of the HX Stomp?  Is HX Stomp not able to receive, discover, and use the HX Stomp documented CC messages transmitted across the USB Midi bus if the NanoKontol2 were connected to and powered by a USB cord to the HX Stomp?  I am surprised that some sort of translation needs to take place, since the USB connections of both the HX Stomp and the NanoKontrol2 are documented as USB MIDI.  That makes direct connection using a mating cable between the two seem like a natrural solution.  Perhaps you or someone can explain the hitch up here, or even better to show a working setup like this.  I'd really like to keep a computer intermediary out of the solution.

Thanks!

I can't explain the science, only how this works.

If I connect the MIDI DIN OUT on my FCB1010 directly to the MIDI DIN IN on the stomp, all is well.

Once you involve USB, you need a "HOST" in between. That's either a computer or a specialized HOST device.

Simple USB HOST devices are available, BUT the Korg Nano series devices require a HARDWARE Driver IN ADDITION to a USB Driver.

That rules out HOST devices as it requires a computer to run the hardware driver.

Even then, you need to route the MIDI signal from the Nano to the Stomp as stated above.

If you ever find a way to make a Nano control a Helix in some other way than I've described, PLEASE come back here and tell me about it.

I've been doing this MIDI stuff for over 10 years and AFAIK, it is what it is, and this is it.

FWIW - You MAY be able to establish a direct connection a la the FCB1010 (no hardware driver required) IF you can locate a Behringer BCR2000 or BCF 2000. These have MIDI DIN connectors as well as USB. However, they're relatively big and bulky compared to the Nano stuff. They are the only other dedicated Rotary/Slider controllers I know of that are out there. They pop up on eBay all the time.

FYI, for those instances where you need a MIDI host for a USB controller, you can use one of these: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-midi. Plug your USB controller into it, and then a MIDI cable to the Helix.

You have to do a little soldering (not much), a couple of resistors and a 5-pin MIDI port, but the host board works great with stuff like the nanokontrol, and its fairly priced. 

9 minutes ago, soundog said:

FYI, for those instances where you need a MIDI host for a USB controller, you can use one of these: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-midi. Plug your USB controller into it, and then a MIDI cable to the Helix.

You have to do a little soldering (not much), a couple of resistors and a 5-pin MIDI port, but the host board works great with stuff like the nanokontrol, and its fairly priced. 

I think you missed the most important point I was making re: the nanoKontrol - it requires a hardware driver IN ADDITION to a USB driver. All the soldering in the world won't make a simple HOST device run a hardware driver. 

Ah, I just re-read the OPs post and see that the Stomp doesn't have a 5-pin DIN MIDI input, so yeah, he can't use that little board. FYI, that host board actually is a great substitute for a computer if you need to use a USB controller with any hardware that has 5-pin MIDI in. I use mine all the time with Korg controllers.

1 hour ago, soundog said:

Ah, I just re-read the OPs post and see that the Stomp doesn't have a 5-pin DIN MIDI input, so yeah, he can't use that little board. But FYI, the nanokontrol does not require a driver, it just sends MIDI. So the host board actually is a great substitute for a computer if you need to use a USB controller with any hardware that has 5-pin MIDI in. I use mine all the time.

The Stomp DOES have 5 pin IN and Out/Thru DINs.

I guess this is what I get for having a stable system. Once upon a time the Korg Nano devices would not work without the Korg drivers.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving bad info, so I deleted the Korg drivers (not easy!). Both my nanoKontrol and nanoKontrol2 defaulted to the 3/2019 Microsoft driver, and the Editor worked fine.

So, I assume that the nanoKontrol(s) are "standard" MIDI - vs vendor specific like some BOSS/Roland devices - and should work with standalone MIDI HOST devices.

However, since I don't own one, I can't test it, and won't guarantee that it will work. I would contact the mfr to confirm before purchase.

2 minutes ago, FiveBass said:

Maybe Line6Tony or one of his bretheren will give this question some notice.  A good answer might help them sell more HX Stomps.

Not likely that L6 folks would know about specific devices from other vendors. Really, if you can get the MIDI messages to the stomp it works.

OP also asked about the "quality" of the user experience.

With the nK2 in CC mode, the rotaries and sliders are very sensitive to the slightest movement. Not ideal, but usable.

The sliders start at Channel 1 CC#0, and Helix available CC#s start at CC#4, so you'll need to customize the nK2 CC configuration.

Also, the MUTE button sends a NOTE, not a CC.