Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Helix Native only usable through a DAW?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Helix Native works with your DAW only.  Native has all the capabilities that Helix has, minus the hardware features.

HX Edit is the software use to create/edit presets and settings with the Helix hardware remotely via USB cable, using a PC or Mac.

Playing live, most of us use Helix Rack/Floor/LT/Stomp as stand alone units.  But I'm sure there are some who use a laptop and HX Edit with Helix live, which IMO, is the hard way of doing things. :-)  

Hope this made sense.  

It did make sense, and thanks.

"use to play with your Helix live, via a PC?"

Sorry, I didn't mean 'live in person' but live interaction with your Helix unit, where you can load and save to and fro, without a DAW open.

All my questions have been answered.  Thank you!

Usually through a DAW, yes, but you can use a "plug-in" host that runs on Mac or Windows. There are various options to choose from, although I haven't used any of them. Helix Native can be used for live, but that's not what its designed for.

12 hours ago, soundog said:

you can use a "plug-in" host that runs on Mac or Windows.

Oh?? Do you know of an example?  I play through Native when jamming along to YouTube or an online lesson... I load up a template in Cubase which is fine, but it would be nice to have a quicker/simpler option.

38 minutes ago, chasingMango said:

Oh?? Do you know of an example?  I play through Native when jamming along to YouTube or an online lesson... I load up a template in Cubase which is fine, but it would be nice to have a quicker/simpler option.

Search for Savihost, or Vsthost....they can load a VST like Native, without using a DAW.

Yes, there are a number to choose from .... some host VST plug-ins, others host AU plug-ins. Do some searches, read some reviews. There are probably free and paid, and maybe free trials for the paid versions.