Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the Helix with a tube amp and cab

Dan270

Hello to all, I am new and I was trying to find out how to use my helix with a new tube amp. Do I need to set my tones up differently when using a tube amp? I am set up with the 4CM

Thanks in advance

Dan

The generally accepted concept is that if you're going through the amp via an input that uses only the power amp portion of the amp, you would likely not want to use a cab/ir setup in your signal chain on the Helix because you already have a physical cab in place.  It has nothing to do with it being a tube amp.  In that case the Helix is simply acting as a preamp since you're bypassing the one on the tube amp.  It would work the same on any amp.

i am using a marshal DSL20H with a 2X12 cab with the 4CM I don't know if I can use a amp and cab in my helix or if it can use my marshall amp? My tube amp has a great sound. I was just wondering if I wanted to change things up if it would hurt my amp is f I used an amp from the helix?

Right, sounds like you're new to this.

First try to use the FX return on your amp and the 1/4" output from the Helix into it.

After you get the hang of it, move to the 4 cable method.

Start with a clean preset and a Preamp only.

Make sure you start with the master volume on your amp at zero and volume of the Helix at zero too,,  things can get super loud by accident.

Add a Preamp to a clean preset in the Helix and slowly raise the volume of your amp and helix.

Note that raising the master volume of your amp will also raise the noise, so it is better to raise more the volume of the helix because it doesn't adds noise.

I found the Preamps in the Helix so close to the real thing, it is amazing.

I'm experimenting with this at the moment too. I'm finding that the Helix's preamp models are very quiet and hollow sounding compared to the preamp section of my amp (a DSL40cr). When  I want to use amp modelling in the Helix with this setup, I'm finding using full amp models rather than just the preamp is yielding the best results. YMMV of course.

You hook it all up using the 4 cable method:

Guitar>Helix Input>Effects>(Helix Amp if desired)>FX Loop 1 Block>Helix Send 1>Amp Input>Amp FX Loop Send>Helix Return 1>Effects>Helix Left/Mono Out>Amp FX Loop Return

If you want to be able to use the DSL preamp OR a Helix preamp/amp/amp+cab just place that amp block just prior to the FX Loop 1 Block.

Then, with the amp block OFF and the FX Loop Block ON, assign BOTH to a single footswitch.

You can now toggle between the DSL preamp and the Helix amp, both using the same effects and the DSL power section.