Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please help. Spdif signal extremely weak. Why?

JKater6

I have a 3rd gen Focusrite 18i20 and I wanted to bring my Helix rack stereo signal via digital while using the Scarlett as my A/I for obvious reasons (recording with others).

I expected a smooth ride and simple set-up, following the steps: Both the H. and S. at same sample rate (48), Clock locked at spdif in the Scarlett, proper Cordial digital coaxial cable,. Now the signal is there but barely audible. In fact, in the hearphnes it is not audible at if recording with another track playing. The signal DOES come in. It is just unusably weak. Darn, this was such a great solution to free analog inputs in my A/I. I'm a little frustrated to put it mildly.

In the Helix global settings, I maxed the digital output and it is then audible but still rather low. I can't even make it clip if I wanted too.  Please, don't tell me this is normal.

Am I missing something?

What would be really great is if someone (or better yet several) could walk me through the steps to set up my Helix to digital stereo recording via spdif.

Thank you All.

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs make sure that Digital Output is set to SPDIF, and put your level back to 0.0.

Here's a screenshot of my Focusrite Control Screen. I'm using Output 3 because that's where my FRFR112 is:

OH DRAT! The Upload function is STILL broke!

If you PM me a real email address I'll send it that way.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787In Global Settings>Ins/Outs make sure that Digital Output is set to SPDIF, and put your level back to 0.0.

Here's a screenshot of my Focusrite Control Screen. I'm using Output 3 because that's where my FRFR112 is:

OH DRAT! The Upload function is STILL broke!

If you PM me a real email address I'll send it that way.

Thanks R2,

This is already like you say: digital to spdif and level at 0 db. Signal level is unusably low.  My firmware version is 2.11.0. I'm not sure about updating it as I hear there are problems with new versions. What you think?

2 minutes ago, JKater6 said:

My firmware version is 2.11.0. I'm not sure about updating it as I hear there are problems with new versions. What you think?

If you download and install HX Edit v2.82 and, after successful install, close HX Edit and run the Updater installed by HX Edit v2.82, and FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!

You shouldn't have any problems. Most of the people who've had problems, whether they admit it or not, blew the FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS part.

I also think that there's a good possibility that the problem is with the Focusrite configuration. Make sure you've got the latest drivers. My 18i20 is 2nd gen, and I got no problems like you're having. If, after updating and checking the Focusrite drivers, you're still having a problem, we'll need to look at the configuration in Focusritr Control. Maybe by the time you've done all that the Upload function will be fixed (working with L6 on it) and I can send the screenshot of my configuration.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much R2. So you think it's safe to update with such a big gap between the two versions. Also will I lose my IR's by updating? 

I will update my focusrite drivers.

If the spdif is too much hassle, I will simply rely on the XLR outs and use that as an analog signal, "losing" two inputs to it in the process. :( 

You should back up your IRs, maybe take a screenshot so you remember where they were.

The version gap doesn't matter.

If fixing the problem is too much hassle, do what you want. But think about it - if it's NOT a configuration problem, then either your Helix or your 18i20 is defective.

Don't you want to KNOW?

As to the question, "Is the update worth it?"

Get ready for "NO, it was a hassle!" from those who didn't follow the directions, and "YES, it's great!" from the majority who did.

In the end, it's up to you.

My car is a 2006. If somebody offered me a free 2020 model, but I had to wash it, I'd take it.

• Thanks 1

Thank r2! I really appreciate your generous help. You obviously know your stuff. :) Yes, I will update tomorrow when I'm rested and take the time to concentrate on the steps (it's late evening here in Germany right now and I should get a good night's sleep).

I'll update you with my luck when I'm done.

Hi R2!

I succeeded yesterday in upgrading to 2.82.0. Did some recording test his morning. You have been very kind in helping me find the courage to attempt it. Ah ah ah .

This changed the look of the Helix edit app and I wonder how much differs and if there is a revised user's manual for the app.

As you said one can boost the output of the spdif to 18db which I did. It is now usable but even maxed out still a fairly low level, I can't even make it clip if I wanted to. strange. And I don't know if I imagine it but the sound through the XLR analog output sounds best and more direct to me. I guess I will resort to spdif when all the inputs are taken, recording with several folks at the same time which happens rarely actually.

I can't remember clearly if I updated the foot controler as well. I followed the steps, I think, so I assume it was part of the process.

Thanks again for your help. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, JKater6 said:

As you said one can boost the output of the spdif to 18db

Actually, I didn't say that, I advised not to.

Did you see the screenshot of Focusrite Control that I posted? The SPDIF level was simply an A chord and had already dropped a bit as I scrambled to hit the screensave keys.

Is that the level you're getting in Focusrite control?

17 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Actually, I didn't say that, I advised not to.

Did you see the screenshot of Focusrite Control that I posted? The SPDIF level was simply an A chord and had already dropped a bit as I scrambled to hit the screensave keys.

Is that the level you're getting in Focusrite control?

Oups, I quoted the wrong person. Sorry R2. I got this info somewhere else and didn't check from where I got it.

At 0db, nothing is audible,or hardly, not sure why but like I said, I have decided to go the XLR analog route where I can really set the levels where I want. Interesting that you get a proper level at 0db. I'm happy in any case that I did update to current version. It was high time.

In addition to the settings suggested in previous posts do you have your output block set to 'Multi' or 'S/PDIF'?  Troubleshoot this on a single path and make sure the output block is set properly. Might want to test the preset out into another monitor first to make sure you have a decent output level.

46 minutes ago, JKater6 said:

Should I set the output to Multi or spdif? Does it make a difference in the strength of the signal. I will test that and see. Thanks.

Doesn't matter if it's set to MULTI or DIGITAL.

9 hours ago, JKater6 said:

At 0db, nothing is audible,or hardly, not sure why

What do you mean? 0db where? In Focusrite control, are you seeing a similar level to my screenshot?