Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HK Stomp, controlling other MIDI devices

BodieDoyle

Hi

I'm wondering if I can use my HX Stomp to MIDI control a Boss ES8, i.e. using the ES8 for its 8 individual loops. I can create a preset on my ES8, the HX Stomp has a preset with the send/return block in the right place (HX Stomp send/return is connected to the main send/return on the ES8), and then I'd like the HX Stomp to select the preset on the ES8 and thereby use the ES8 has a fully programmable 8-way switcher.

I know that there are specific devices that can do this, i.e. a MIDI controller switcher patchbay, but I wanted the ES8 as it has other functionality that makes it useable in other scenarios for me.

So, the question really is, does the HX Stomp send MIDi out messages readily enough when you change patches/presets/parameters?

Thanks in advance.

The HX Stomp has limited MIDI capability. When you select a preset, it will send a MIDI Program Change message (PC#).

That PC# is relative to the Stomp preset # and cannot be changed.

For example - Stomp Preset 01A = PC#000;Preset 01B = PC#001 and so on.

IOW - a different ES8 configuration requires a different corresponding Stomp preset - ES8 Preset PC#000 = Stomp Preset 01A.

For me, this (Line 6 leaving out almost all of their MIDI Out control capabilities ) was one of the biggest shortcoming of the Stomp. Otherwise, I'd buy one! Line 6 has eluded that they might add it to maintain inter-device unity, but I haven't seen any signs of that happening. We can only wish....