Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Save edited effect for re-use elsewhere?

bwQuestion

My apologies if this is posted somewhere.  I have searched, but maybe my terms are not correct.

Say I am creating a preset.  I add an empty block in the chain.  I edit the block to get the sound I am wanting from the block.  All is good.  How can I save this block for use in the future with a different preset?  Or are we stuck manually editing the block every time it is selected.  This seems to be more difficult than it should be.  Am I missing something?

Simple example:  Put empty block in chain.  Select Delay.  Select Sweep Echo.  Change time from 450ms to 6.300 s.  Change Level to -23.0 db.  Turn Trails on.  Now how to save this with new name and changes so that it shows up as a selectable item from a new preset?

Again sorry if this info is already somewhere else.  I just cannot find it and it seems as though it should be very simple.

your talking about something I'd love that may come in the future, Global Blocks or ability to save them. 

Right now the only option is to create a blank preset somewhere and save the blocks into that preset.  You'll then need to go to that preset to copy/paste into the new preset. 

This was why I created core tones in my 1st setlist slot.  I have a blank preset, I have an acoustic/vocal template, I have several basic tones as templates and lots of useless presets that just include various blocks or things that I'll reference later so I don't need to create from the stock settings all the time.  

• Upvote 1

Create a preset specifically for saving "custom" blocks. If you have many, create specific storage presets - "OD', Dist","Reverb" etc.

Coming in either 2.9 or 3.0, I forget, "FAVORITES", which will do what you're asking, but for now, above is the best you can do.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I've specifically named the presets as the type of blocks they are.....MODULATION, REVERB, DELAY, DRIVE, AMP etc.  You get Limited on the AMP/CAB side pretty quickly DSP wise...so I try to name them further Clean Amp, Gritty Amp, Metal Amp.  

The only thing I don't like about this approach is that if I have a good hard rock sound and it includes a pre-EQ, boost pedal in front, and a post EQ after....remembering which block helped build which sound can be tedious without having a custom name attached to it or saved and able to import. 

That's why I created my Core Tones Presets.  I then just copy that whole preset wherever I need it, or if I'm building a Song Specific preset that mixes two sounds, I'll copy/paste blocks as I need them, but those 'rigs' are prebuilt then for me to use elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for the replies.  I was really thinking I was missing something obvious.  Now I'm more curious as to how something so obviously needed was overlooked at the beginning.  This entire unit is built around these blocks yet there is no way to save a block.  Wow.  Does anyone know off hand if the Headrush Pedalboard  has this deficiency?  As far as copying and pasting among multiple presets, is there a way to have more than one open at a time or are you bouncing back and forth between several?

1 hour ago, bwQuestion said:

Thanks very much for the replies.  I was really thinking I was missing something obvious.  Now I'm more curious as to how something so obviously needed was overlooked at the beginning.  This entire unit is built around these blocks yet there is no way to save a block.  Wow.  Does anyone know off hand if the Headrush Pedalboard  has this deficiency?  As far as copying and pasting among multiple presets, is there a way to have more than one open at a time or are you bouncing back and forth between several?

When you've been around here a while you'll realize that everybody has a feature that they can't understand why it wasn't in the original release, but that lots of other users couldn't care less about. In nature, the process of adding features is called "evolution", and it takes millions of years. The feature you're asking for will be here a lot sooner than that!

I don't know if the Headrush has this feature, but I do know that there's so much more that it's missing (IMO) that if I was buying again today it would still be a Helix. YMMV.

• Like 1

Back in the 1990's when I first started using modeling...I had the Boss GT 5
And the way they did it was you could tweak an amp model or an effect and save that "Block" (though that's not what they were called) and it showed up in your choices of amps and effects (with the name you gave it...I would just add my first name to them lol "Robbie Marshall" or "Robbie Delay")

Always wondered why the Line 6 stuff didn't do that too. Not my old Vetta or the HD 500 or the Helix. :(

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, robbieb61 said:

Back in the 1990's when I first started using modeling...I had the Boss GT 5
And the way they did it was you could tweak an amp model or an effect and save that "Block" (though that's not what they were called) and it showed up in your choices of amps and effects (with the name you gave it...I would just add my first name to them lol "Robbie Marshall" or "Robbie Delay")

Always wondered why the Line 6 stuff didn't do that too. Not my old Vetta or the HD 500 or the Helix. :(

Yup. The GT-5, 6, 8, all had this feature as I remember.  Very very handy. It helped a lot especially since the thing as a whole was a pain in the keester to edit.

I loved that you could create your own overdrives and preamps too.

• Like 1

I am new to the Helix and don't know if this is acceptable practice, but I simply drag an effect or block I like to the desktop. I guess you could create a folder too, but it is really handy for complicated delay setups repeated on different patches with slightly different tempos. Then just drag the preset back into HX Edit when needed.

2 hours ago, karlic said:

I am new to the Helix and don't know if this is acceptable practice, but I simply drag an effect or block I like to the desktop. I guess you could create a folder too, but it is really handy for complicated delay setups repeated on different patches with slightly different tempos. Then just drag the preset back into HX Edit when needed.

I cant get a block to drag to the desktop.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:01 PM, bwQuestion said:

I cant get a block to drag to the desktop.

Apologies for not being clear enough. I was just experimenting and managed to drag my delay settings to the desktop for copying elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, karlic said:

Apologies for not being clear enough. I was just experimenting and managed to drag my delay settings to the desktop for copying elsewhere.

You can’t drag/drop just the delay settings. You had to have dragged an entire preset, including the delay block and it’s settings.

6 minutes ago, silverhead said:

You can’t drag/drop just the delay settings. You had to have dragged an entire preset, including the delay block and it’s settings.

It feels like the same thing to me, but happy to be corrected. When I need that delay, I drag it to an empty block and it is ready to go.

I think it’s just terminology. A preset occupies one of the slots (1A through 32D) in HX Edit. I think you are calling this a block, which causes the confusion. The term block is used to refer to one of the components of a preset - an amp, cab, stomp, delay, etc. When you say you drag a block to the desktop people understand that as saying you are dragging only one component of a preset. In fact you are dragging an HX Edit preset slot.

• Like 1