Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Outdoors winter usage of Helix

andrecl

Hi all,

A guitarist friend has asked me if he can borrow my helix for an outdoors gig. I am a bit worried if it can handle the cold. What do you guys think?
Normally I would say no, but the guy has borrowed me his amp a few times. 

Then again he doesn't want to use his amp due to the cold temperature...

Weather forecast for that day (celcius):

image.png.e177e85ff0cf876b93622298671d81db.png

What do you guys think?

It shouldn't be a problem as long as he lets the Helix sit in the cold for about 10 minutes before turning it on. Don't power it on immediatley after taking it from a warm vehicle. There could be condensation inside Helix which would not play well with the electronics when powering on.

It will be fine. That's really not even that cold. I played an outdoor gig at a holiday festival here in Minneapolis with my HX Effects board where is was like 20F, and everything worked fine. Really, electronics generally much prefer the cold to the heat.

So long as excessive condensation is controlled. Try to avoid abruptly transitioning the Helix from a cold outdoor environment into a warm and humid indoor environment -- or vice versa -- without protecting the Helix from condensation. If you have a Helix in the Helix Backpack acclimated to indoor temps and humidity, leave the unit in the backpack for about 10 minutes after heading into the cold before removing the Helix. When heading inside seal the Helix in the Helix Backpack before heading inside and leave the backpack closed for at least 10 mins once indoors. If you don't have the Helix Backpack, a simple plastic trash bag will suffice with the above procedures. These are long proven successful measures for cameras and lenses. 

A bigger problem will be keeping his guitar in tune and feeling his fingers after the first 15 minutes...outdoor gigs suck in the cold. 3 C° might not be terribly frigid for wandering around with your hands in your pockets, but for gigging it blows. Been there, done that...no more for me, lol