Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT - Headphone and Ableton Live Issues

webb819

Hey all, currently trying to figure out a problem I'm having with getting my computer to recognize my guitar signal through my Helix LT.

My usual set-up is using the 4CM into a Supro Blues King 12 amp and I absolutely love it. The Supro acts as a clean pedal platform amp, and the Helix LT gives me all the effects I could ever want, and helps me achieve my default tone with a compressor, noise gate, EQ and such. I usually play along to music on Spotify or YT,  through 2 Presonus Eris E5 monitors & Temblor T10 subwoofer -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen) hooked up via USB to my computer. 

I live in a house so I don't really have to worry about cranking the volume of my amp and speakers. However, I work odd hours (4am-12pm) and sometimes I'd like to play along with music at times where neighbors are asleep and I don't want to bother them. Basically, I'd like to be able to hear my finished guitar signal from my Helix LT as well as the audio from my computer while headphones are plugged in. In addition, I want to start recording guitar parts using the Helix LT, and I'd like to record directly into Ableton Live using the Helix LT. I figured that I'd be able to plug headphones into my Focusrite to hear the audio from my computer and somehow be able to have my finished guitar signal also loaded up on my computer, whether it be through USB with my Helix LT, or through the Helix Native plug-in. 

I have the HX Edit software installed on my computer, and using the USB cable, I have the Helix LT directly connected to my computer. So there is no issue with recognizing the Helix LT, as I am able to edit in real time with the HX Edit software. I also have the Helix Native plug-in, which I have been attempting to figure out within Ableton Live. I should mention I'm brand new to Ableton so figuring all this stuff out has been felt a bit overwhelming to say the least. The only way I can hear my guitar signal is to hear the dry signal when plugged directly into my Focusrite, this is less than ideal because it's just my dry signal without any compression or EQ, the same as if I was plugged directly into my amp. I guess I might just be struggling to understand at a basic level on how to play my guitar through the Helix LT into my computer. 

Easiest way (sample preset attached):

You can record Helix Processed (zero latency monitoring, Track 1), Direct (for use with Native, Track 2) and Streaming or Backing tracks (Track 3).

Take the XLR Outs from Helix into the 2i2 to get sound, but use the Helix as your Audio Interface.

Take the Headphone Out from your PC to Helix Return 1 & 2.

In Windows Sound Panel, you may have to go into Speaker Properties>Levels and set it at least halfway to get enough signal from Streaming/Backing tracks. Then you'll be able to use the Volume control in the app (Spotify, Media Player, whatever) to get a balance with Helix.

You can use headphones either from Helix or the 2i2, whichever sounds better.

Note that the Track Input Monitor Buttons for the Helix Tracks are OFF. Switch them to AUTO for Playback after recording.

To use Native, insert it on another track and send the audio from Track 2 (TURN OFF RECORD!) to the Track with Native. That way, you won't overwrite the clean track.

Hope that covers it. I'd never needed to think about this before, because it's SO much easier with the 18i20, but it was a fun brain twister!

Any questions, feel free!

EDIT: In the screenshot, the input for Path 2A in the preset says Return 3/4. I have Helix Floor and I was thinking that would leave you not needing to rewire every time, but LT has only two FX Loops, so just use Returns 1/2 there and rewire as necessary.

webb819.hlx

OK, I should've called that solution "Most Bang for the Buck".

Here's the actual simplest solution:

2i2 as Audio Interface.

Windows Sound Panel Computer Soundcard as Playback device.

1/8" stereo to 1/4" Mono adapter - Computer Headphone Out to 2i2 Input 1.

Helix L/Mono Out to 2i2 Input 2.

Headphones from 2i2. Done.

Functionality - record Helix processed signal and streaming backing tracks to separate LIVE tracks.

OR record processed and unprocessed Helix to separate tracks.

No stereo anywhere.

Somewhere between "Best Bang" and "Dead Simple" you might be able to come up with a compromise.

Maybe.

I vote for "Most Bang"!

@rd2rk First off, thanks so much for the detailed response! I saw your responses right before I went to bed and was thinking to myself, "there has got to be an easy to do this that doesn't require rewiring my pedal board or set-up."  I got home from work today and after looking at your responses did my best to try and troubleshoot a solution. Long story short, I ended up going Helix XLR Out -> 2i2 -> computer and I'm using the Headphones output on the 2i2. Brain-dead simple and it does everything I need it to do, just have to bypass my FX Loop whenever I'm playing with headphones in, easy footswitch tap. Played along with Spotify on my speakers for a bit and as it gets later into the night I'll switch to headphones, definitely gotta do some tone creation for finding my tone while going XLR out of the Helix, only used to how it sounds coming through my amp. For Ableton I'm using the Helix as my audio interface and I got everything figured out except for Helix Native, gonna do a bit more messing around in Ableton to get more familiar with the software. But once again thanks so much for the help!