Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Recall Firmware & Battery Life

godoq

For reference, I have been using the G10 for more than 2 years,

And it has been a few weeks since I bought and used the new G10s at a local shop.

I loved the simplicity and ease of use of this product. :)

However, after the firmware update (Both for the Relay g10s Receiver and Transmitter according to the guidelines of Line6), 

I found that the battery life was apparently reduced.

Only one indicator remains on my G10s receiver before I use it for less than 2 hours from the full battery state - 3 indicator in receiver & solid green transmitter LED.

This doesn't seem to be the only case for me.

I found several people complaining of the same symptoms here in Forum, Facebook Page, and TGP.

If you look at a few support tickets or answers, Line6 may says, "You have a problem with your battery and need to replace it."

I would like to hear a clear explanation from Line6, but I guess it will be difficult.

• There is no notice in Recall Page that the usage time will change after Update.
    However, Line6 has already changed the description of "8 hours" to "6 hours" on the product page and manual (Partially).
    (Honestly, I wish I could use it for 6 hours ...)
    -> Existing users obviously made purchases based on advertisements and specs, but there are no notices, rewards, or countermeasures.

•  If you report this problem, Line6 will probably tell you to create a Support Ticket, and you will be asked to replace the unit because there is a problem with the battery.
    -> I wonder if the G10T that Line6 will resell is an improved hardware. Maybe that's why Line6 is driving replacements, otherwise people who buy new products will complain a lot.

Do you guys have any problems with battery life after firmware update?
I can't believe that my unit (Used for a few weeks) suddenly broken after firmware update.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Yes, the firmware completely destroyed the battery life on both my G10. One, the older, went from average 6 hours, to barely 2 hours of life. The other one does last 3 hours max. After this, it’s all a mess of nonsense red/green blinking while charging..

As for the heat, never had a problem. I upgraded because I got scared by the warning message they spammed everywhere.

I cant believe they did a such awful move without properly warning customers.

Anyway, who’s paying for the battery replacements? 

• Like 3

I have a Spider V mk II 120 and a Relay G10 with a Loading stand (not updated) - since update the Spider Amp does not load the Relay, it blinks green or red sometimes first green then red. When I load it on the old stand, everything works as ever. I loads quickly and stays green. Before the update the Amp worked as well. I have 2 G10 and I too NEVER had heat problems.

8 hours ago, recoder said:

I have a Spider V mk II 120 and a Relay G10 with a Loading stand (not updated) - since update the Spider Amp does not load the Relay, it blinks green or red sometimes first green then red. When I load it on the old stand, everything works as ever. I loads quickly and stays green. Before the update the Amp worked as well. I have 2 G10 and I too NEVER had heat problems.

Are you re-syncing the transmitter with the amp?

1 hour ago, recoder said:

I do not knot how exactly to "re-sync", but the Spider Amp is recognizing the Relay and there is pictogram on the home screen, showing one "brick" (out of 3?).

You have to plug the transmitter into the Spider's input for 15 seconds or so the transmitter can be set to the correct channel.

I tried it again. When charging with Spider, it goes in couple of hours (2-3h) up to 2 bricks, then it discharges  again, on the next day it was again down to one brick. I took it out of the amp and plugged it in the old G10 stand and  the relay was charged (green) in under an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There -

I had been blissfully using the G10S with G10T for the past year without any explosions/fires/or similar, when I was prompted to upgrade the firmware for safety reasons.  Seemed reasonable.

However, now that this has been applied, the battery life is dismal.  Utterly dismal - lasts about 1 hour, whereas before I could get close to 6hrs out of it.  If that is expected behavior (and I hope it's not), the logical solution would be to use a second G10T and swap one out while charging the other.  This, of course would require a charger that does NOT re-sync the second transmitter while charging otherwise it would render the first one unusable.  So.. Perhaps a USB charger would work?  Yes!  But.... No.  They're recalled.  With no expected replacement.

So... Is the plan for Line 6 to support a usable product?  Or will there be a new version?

Not sure what to do here.  I am a big fan of Line 6 and WANT this to work (own a Helix, and many PODs past...).  Should we be looking to the BOSS offering?  Other?

I'm realistic here - but underwhelmed.

1 hour ago, sputnik123 said:

Hi There -

I had been blissfully using the G10S with G10T for the past year without any explosions/fires/or similar, when I was prompted to upgrade the firmware for safety reasons.  Seemed reasonable.

However, now that this has been applied, the battery life is dismal.  Utterly dismal - lasts about 1 hour, whereas before I could get close to 6hrs out of it.  If that is expected behavior (and I hope it's not), the logical solution would be to use a second G10T and swap one out while charging the other.  This, of course would require a charger that does NOT re-sync the second transmitter while charging otherwise it would render the first one unusable.  So.. Perhaps a USB charger would work?  Yes!  But.... No.  They're recalled.  With no expected replacement.

So... Is the plan for Line 6 to support a usable product?  Or will there be a new version?

Not sure what to do here.  I am a big fan of Line 6 and WANT this to work (own a Helix, and many PODs past...).  Should we be looking to the BOSS offering?  Other?

I'm realistic here - but underwhelmed.

So - I looked at the BOSS WL-50 offering.  It looks comparable, but the fact that you can charge a second transmitter while playing is huge.

If I were to guess... for Line6 to solve this, they'd need to have a new version of the G10T with a USB input.  It may well be that they cannot throttle the storage capacity when charging via the TRS 1/4" connector.  Pure speculation though.

I'm not sure whether to buy another G10T (and still be unable to charge a backup while playing) or to switch to BOSS.

To reiterate - I REALLY want the Line 6 solution to work.  I have nothing against the company (BTW - shout out to Digital_Igloo for impressing me to the point of getting me to evangelize about Line6 products to my friends... I digress, though.), and recognize that these things are finicky - safety is important.

Fingers are crossed...

33 minutes ago, sputnik123 said:

So - I looked at the BOSS WL-50 offering.  It looks comparable, but the fact that you can charge a second transmitter while playing is huge.

If I were to guess... for Line6 to solve this, they'd need to have a new version of the G10T with a USB input.  It may well be that they cannot throttle the storage capacity when charging via the TRS 1/4" connector.  Pure speculation though.

I'm not sure whether to buy another G10T (and still be unable to charge a backup while playing) or to switch to BOSS.

To reiterate - I REALLY want the Line 6 solution to work.  I have nothing against the company (BTW - shout out to Digital_Igloo for impressing me to the point of getting me to evangelize about Line6 products to my friends... I digress, though.), and recognize that these things are finicky - safety is important.

Fingers are crossed...

If a 1-year-old battery lasts only an hour, it means that the new transmitter (when used similarly) can only go an hour after a year.

(Based on Line6's explanation)

I loved the Relay g10 because it was the most convenient wireless device I've ever used,

but it's too sad that the manufacturer ruined the quality because of legal issues.

My logical solution for now is going back to GLXD-16 again which was very reliable.

1 hour ago, godoq said:

If a 1-year-old battery lasts only an hour, it means that the new transmitter (when used similarly) can only go an hour after a year.

(Based on Line6's explanation)

I loved the Relay g10 because it was the most convenient wireless device I've ever used,

but it's too sad that the manufacturer ruined the quality because of legal issues.

My logical solution for now is going back to GLXD-16 again which was very reliable.

The battery performance isn’t based on the age of the battery. It’s based on the number of charge/discharge cycles. I believe the batteries are rated for 80% of their life at 300 cycles, so most people shouldn’t be seeing such a huge reduction in life after a year, even with the new update. Even at 80%, and the reduced capacity with the update, battery life should be over 4.5 hours with a full charge.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-g10-release-date.1692051/page-15#post-22175031

This is is why I keep saying people should open up a support ticket if they’re seeing extremely reduced capacity with the update.

• 1 month later...

I also get much less battery time after the update. I went from over 6+ hours to barely 2. I only use mine at home and have only charged it maybe 15 times total. I'm wondering if there is a way to "reset" and go back to the firmware before the update. I'd be willing to take the safety risk.  Anyone know if this can be done?

On 6/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, jimmers131005 said:

I also get much less battery time after the update. I went from over 6+ hours to barely 2. I only use mine at home and have only charged it maybe 15 times total. I'm wondering if there is a way to "reset" and go back to the firmware before the update. I'd be willing to take the safety risk.  Anyone know if this can be done?

No... the old firmware is gone, and it ain't coming back. Like it or not, the chosen "fix" for the overheating battery battery issue is limiting charging capacity across the board. It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.  I have only had my Relay G10 for about 6 months.  I used to be able to use it for 2 entire church services both Saturday night and Sunday morning.  Now I have to charge it overnight in between services and it barely lasts the two hours I need it.  

I have 2 G10s, I unfortunately upgraded them both. Their battery life after upgrade is almost useless (less than 2 hours). Before the upgrade they would last 6-8 hours of play time easily.

Line6 you have to resolve this!

• Like 1

Same lollipop here.
Got a brandnew G10T for my Spider V120 MKII with Version 1.05 installed already.

Full charged to 3 bricks. Played 20 Minutes 2 bricks, 1 hour later 1 brick.

With htis firmware the G10T will never last 6 hours even if it is new.

This is a bug and LIne6 has to fix it!

Let me join the ever growing chorus. I updated mine and can get one hour out of it at best. Any word from Line 6 as to resolution? If not, I would just prefer to return and refund. As it is, it is useless. Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

I am still using mine. I am not a professional, just an older man entertaining his friends ;-) while sipping wine. It works somehow. I have 2 relays/units and swap them. One works the other loads. But I, although a Line6 fanboy, will probably not buy more of them. I liked the loading stand and simplicity of use. Currently I look at this https://www.thomann.de/de/the_t.bone_giga_pro_pedal_set.htm . The joint is important, I broke mine G10 relay while sitting and playing. Being able to load the relay on amp is nice, but the amp needs to be switched on, and that wears it down, same for the base station, so having a separate loading stand is actually a good idea. 

Same here. Battery life reduced to 2 hours after firmware upgrade. Cannot use it for live shows anymore.

The other guitar player in the band didn't update. He said: "it works and I never had an issue so I won't update". He was right.

No solution yet?

• Like 1

Same. Not only it wiped out battery, it obliterated the signal as well. With the guitar in my lap and the receiver by my foot, if I rotate my body such that the signal has to pass through my body before hitting the receiver, it will now completely cut out whereas I used to be able to play from a different room no problem. I thought it was just Line 6's planned obsolescence pushing for people to buy the G10s. Glad I read this thread and noticed that the G10s is affected too. The boss is nice but I do wish it had 2 outputs like Line 6 has so I don't have to buy another active buffered splitter. 

11 hours ago, xster said:

Same. Not only it wiped out battery, it obliterated the signal as well. With the guitar in my lap and the receiver by my foot, if I rotate my body such that the signal has to pass through my body before hitting the receiver, it will now completely cut out whereas I used to be able to play from a different room no problem. I thought it was just Line 6's planned obsolescence pushing for people to buy the G10s. Glad I read this thread and noticed that the G10s is affected too. The boss is nice but I do wish it had 2 outputs like Line 6 has so I don't have to buy another active buffered splitter. 

Open a support ticket. This is not the expected behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

used it for 2 years without any problems, and just updated the 1.05 firmware yesterday, and now my G10T won't be charged anymore (The pulse red light forever)
That's mean if you update to the lastest firmware, that is the way you throw out your Line6 G10 because it will become useless after that.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tungrocker said:

used it for 2 years without any problems, and just updated the 1.05 firmware yesterday, and now my G10T won't be charged anymore (The pulse red light forever)
That's mean if you update to the lastest firmware, that is the way you throw out your Line6 G10 because it will become useless after that.

Hi.

The firmware, doesnt only destroy the battery life, but also make the charging process extremely unstable. I got the same red flashing crap for days, (no way to charge), then started charging again, then stopped again...etc etc. It's the firmware that injected a dumb communication code, with the goal to avoid full charging of the batteries.

Believe me, as I had this on 2 G10 units, and tried to live with it for 4 weeks, but it will get worse with time. At some point, charging was impossible on both units. Open a ticket wont solve anything, as they will send you another one, with same problems. If I were living in the US, I would have started a class action against L6, but unfortunately Im in EU. For sure, what they did, isnt legal.

Anyway, get rid of it, as soon as you can, and move to a different brand.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

My purchase of the Spider V 240hc with the G10 transmitter was an exciting moment for me. I have been using Line 6 products exclusively since my very first POD purchase, and then my first Spider practice amp. Graduating to my first ever guitar head, my Spider V 240hc, changed my entire world of guitar playing. 
It was less than 6 months after buying my amp that the G10 transmitter battery life went from around 6 hours, plus or minus 30 minutes to less than an hour and now, 9 months since purchasing the combo the G10 barely takes a charge at all. 
I started my wireless guitar gear with the Line 6 G30 transmitter/receiver combo and it quit working a little over a year later. So, I was thrilled with this Spider V 240hc/ G10 combo, and at first it was all I wished it could be. But, for it being less than a year since acquiring the setup, I must say that I am more than a little disappointed. Without the use of my G10 it is always a thorn in my side and I’m stuck feeling like a major component is absent in what I originally chose to purchase. 
I am only writing this in hopes that Line 6 has decided to do something more than a firmware update which seems to be far less than making it right for their customers. As I have been a devoted customer of Line 6 products this issue is one that may sway me away from their previously stellar products to another line altogether. As with all relationships when commitment appears to be less than valuable, it would be very defeating to simply be stuck with a loss of such an important tool. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:04 PM, tungrocker said:

I must concur. I have two G10's... used them both for years with no issues. I upgraded one to the new firmware and, now, I get maybe 10 minutes of playing out of it, and then it quits. Maybe it's not charging at all, anymore, but I'm sure not going to 'upgrade' my other one.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 12:11 AM, jemenake said:

I must concur. I have two G10's... used them both for years with no issues. I upgraded one to the new firmware and, now, I get maybe 10 minutes of playing out of it, and then it quits. Maybe it's not charging at all, anymore, but I'm sure not going to 'upgrade' my other one.

I'm in the same boat. 
G10T and Yamaha THR30II purchased Late November 2019 and have operated flawlessly until I followed the instructions to upgrade the firmware.
I updated the firmware to G10T Version: 1.06, Amp Version: 1.42.0g
When the G10 is inserted into the THR I see the slow flashing red light, indicating charging. However, it will not charge up. I get maybe 10 mins of use before it dies completely.

Prior to the firmware update, the G10 would flash bright red initially, then change to flashing green and eventually solid green. I would routinely get 4-6 hours of use between charges.

The response from line6 is that this could be a hardware issue and to return the G10 to the retailer. Not very helpful since the G10 is out of the 12 month warranty period.

I don't believe this is a hardware issue. The G10 was functioning perfectly prior to the firmware update and stopped charging immediately after the update to Firmware 1.06.

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Yes the upgrade has completely ruined it all.  No battery life at all.  Mine runs about 10 minutes.

It's so hard dealing with these people and  basically, they are not helping as I think they aught too.  I see the CEO placed a not very helpful post.

I'm now trying to source a battery to see if I can install a new one however it's so difficult finding an exact match.

Line 6 what the hell are you playing at!

9 hours ago, PhoenixCurtis said:

Line 6 what the hell are you playing at!

Two words: avoiding liability. It is what it is. If you want to continue to use an otherwise good product, then just bite the bullet and get the new version of the transmitter. Early reports from the wild indicate that it's on par with the pre- "update" battery life. Is this a $hitty situation? Yes. Should it cost you more money to continue to use a neutered product because some genius decided to charge their battery forever and burned the house down? No... but sometimes life is... well let's just call it "less than ideal". This is one of those times...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...