Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wow. It does my Boogie Mark IV Perfectly!

Lone_Poor_Boy

Stunned that this Helix models my Mesa Mark IV perfectly.   I've had the Mesa since '92 and assumed I wouldn't have that tone, but just lots of new stuff to play with. I was wrong.

The Mesa Mark IV is my tone.  I have a Mark V and a Mark 5:25, which are both great, but the Mark IV options across all channels are balanced perfectly for me and I love it and would never have anything else for my main.  I got the Helix to get back into using FX but without pedals, for recording, and also just to see if it inspired creativity (which it has).

I am dipping my toe in slowly so I don't get overwhelmed but I was so relieved when I stumbled onto this with the 'Cali IV Rhythm 1, 2, & Lead'.  The FX they have on the preset need work, or deleted, but the core amp is PERFECT!

My Mesa Amps

https://imgur.com/a/YdDcOOU

And the drum set to the right...

https://imgur.com/a/ROGILnN

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

The amp modeling is very accurate, let no one tell you otherwise.

I was honestly expecting to be disappointed somewhat.  I knew it was not going to get close enough to my Mark IV tone.  I am extremely pleased I was wrong.

Honestly, there are a lot of bad demo's of the Helix on the internet.  Whether it's the preset, their setup or just how they recorded. Ben Vesco's are some of the best I heard though, before getting the Helix.  And they still are!  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

Honestly there's a lot of bad demo's of the Helix on the internet.  Whether it's the preset, their setup or just how they recorded. Ben Vesco's are some of the best I heard though, before getting it.

There are indeed. Also lots of unhappy bunnies pitch up here complaining that Helix doesn't cut it, perhaps blaming the tools prematurely. My experience has been as yours: the amp modelling is excellent assuming that the patch is optimally set up. A big assume, unfortunately, as there are so many things that can go wrong, not least cab and mic choices. Anyway, very glad you hit the nail on the head first try, and thanks for saying so in public. Makes a refreshing change :-)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

Honestly, there are a lot of bad demo's of the Helix on the internet.  Whether it's the preset, their setup or just how they recorded.

Even the world's best tools are no better than a simple hammer in the hands of people who don't know how (or take the time) to learn them. ;) Likewise, real amps and analog gear can also sound terrible, if you don't know how to set the knobs, dials, and sliders! Glad you're enjoying yours. I bought mine last year fully expecting to have buyer's remorse. But instead I still appreciate it every time I turn it on and play.

Side note -- this is one of the downsides of making advanced technology and professional equipment so readily available to everyone. When the barrier to entry falls, it becomes hard to sort out human error from flawed products. You can give everyone on earth the best paints and canvas money can buy, but most of the example work you'll see from it will be a total mess :)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Even the world's best tools are no better than a simple hammer in the hands of people who don't know how (or take the time) to learn them.

That's why I refrain from posting demo's online of my gear.  I'm afraid I'd be doing a disservice to the product.  Maybe someday, when I'm an expert, but I don't feel like there is some void going unfulfilled.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

That's why I refrain from posting demo's online of my gear.  I'm afraid I'd be doing a disservice to the product.  Maybe someday, when I'm an expert, but I don't feel like there is some void going unfulfilled.

As a great musician once said, "before you can make good music, you first have to get the bad music out." Don't think your demos wouldn't be useful to someone just because you aren't an "expert." I would love to try your patch, for example. Its always interesting to hear what others consider a great tone.

Good luck!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

.... Its always interesting to hear what others consider a great tone....

However, what you hear playing the patch with your guitar using your amp or speakers may not be even close to what the patch creator hears using his equipment. That’s one of the main stumbling blocks with Customtone. There’s much more than just the patch involved in the signal that travels from your fingers to your ears.And each component can have a dramatic effect on what you hear.

Often when I download and listen to a patch I don’t think it sounds at all like the title or description suggests it should sound like. That doesn’t mean the patch creator did a poor job. More likely it means our external equipment is quite different.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

>>afraid of doing a disservice to the product

+1

Humility is a vanishing art. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Humility is a vanishing art. 

Well stated. I do understand people wanting to post their stuff, since it's so easy to do.  It really comes down to the end user doing what I did, and researching. It is $1,600 after all.  But damn, 70% of what I stumbled on did not impress me.  It really came down to 2 or so specific persons stellar videos.  About 4 more a tier below. And then noise below that.

But trust me, if I get a recording of the Helix that sounds like it sounds in my room right now, to me, I'm posting it!  But I know from amateur recording experience over the years, that takes experience and talent to replicate.