Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp parameters on footswitch return to haunt me

YammerUK

Hi, Helixers. My first post here. How are you doing?

I've had a Helix LT (2.82) for a week, and I've just finished the manual. I think I'm OK with the operational concepts, but I'm still struggling with the controls a bit.

I've been using Snapshots to create 2 variations of a preset with different amp gain/volume settings. I found changing snapshots a bit fiddly, because you either have to press Bank Up/Down together, or press Mode, stomp, and press Mode again (with 4 presets/4 snapshots displayed in preset Mode).

I discovered that you could assign a footswitch to parameter changes too. So I assigned FS4 to the gain/volume settings of the preset's amp, and labelled it Drive. It works... sort of. I found that, in Stomp Mode, when the Drive footswitch block gets focus for any reason, if I press the footswitch with my hand - even briefly, to engage Drive - the Controller Assign page pops up on the display. It's a bit annoying.

Is this expected behaviour? Have I done something wrong? Do I have to switch off Touch Select to stop this? Is there an easy workaround?

Thanks for your patience!

Keith

27 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yes, this is the expected behavior of the capacitive touch feature on the footswitches. You can turn the Touch feature off in Global Settings>Footswitches if you want.

Thanks, Phil

I understand that nature of the capacitive switches, and I realise that touching a footswitch selects it, but I have not had a problem with the display changing screens until now, when assigning a footswitch to model parameter changes.

I’ve been able to stomp other footswitches with my hands without losing the stomp mode display. Sometimes a block is selected if the hand stays on for too long, but nothing to cause any problems. 

The only times I normally lose the stomp mode display is if I hold a switch or knob for a while. But the Controller Assign page pops up even if I just very quickly stab at the switch, which is why I asked. 

I’ll have to switch off Touch Select, but this seems a shame, as it’s not given me any trouble otherwise. 

Snapshots and stomp switches give Helix a lot of flexibility. Snapshots can store values for up to 64 parameters in a patch. stomp switches can control up to 8 parameter min/max values or bypass state. The big difference between the two is that snapshots aren't additive - you can't turn on snapshot 2 and 3. Stomp switches are additive, you can have any combination of up to 10 stomp switches controlling up to 8 parameters/switch on or off at a time - that's a lot of tonal combinations.

So should you use snapshots or stomp switches? It depends on the use case. If you're playing guitar in an orchestra pit for a dance performance or play, then you're probably playing a fixed sequence of songs with fixed parts in each song. The critical thing is to play the right sound at the right time, following the conductor. Having a preset per song, and snapshot per song part is very convenient for this situation, and can significantly reduce the chance of getting the wrong sound.

Contrast with a jamband in a club where the song order is unpredictable, and solos can start anytime and go on for a while. In cases where there's less structure in the performance, having a palette of stomp switches for overdrive and other effects lets you control the tone for the moment, turning on and off combinations of effects. 

I play in a rock cover band. We plan a set list, but don't always follow it depending on how much people are dancing - we really try to keep people in the club dancing. So there's some structure in the song sequence, and we do have arrangements for each song. But I prefer to use stomp mode where I have my typical sound and effects in a patch I use most of the time. I like this because I don't always play the song exactly the same way - I might use a Mutron instead of a Wah for example. I have a few patches for odd things that are unique to the song. For example, we do Love The One Your With and I use a 12string opened tuned acoustic (Variax) through an acoustic patch with a snapshot for the EBEEBE tuning. I also keep an open-G tuning snapshot in my regular preset for Stones songs.

20 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Snapshots and stomp switches give Helix a lot of flexibility. Snapshots can store values for up to 64 parameters in a patch. stomp switches can control up to 8 parameter min/max values or bypass state. The big difference between the two is that snapshots aren't additive - you can't turn on snapshot 2 and 3. Stomp switches are additive, you can have any combination of up to 10 stomp switches controlling up to 8 parameters/switch on or off at a time - that's a lot of tonal combinations.

So should you use snapshots or stomp switches? It depends on the use case. If you're playing guitar in an orchestra pit for a dance performance or play, then you're probably playing a fixed sequence of songs with fixed parts in each song. The critical thing is to play the right sound at the right time, following the conductor. Having a preset per song, and snapshot per song part is very convenient for this situation, and can significantly reduce the chance of getting the wrong sound.

Contrast with a jamband in a club where the song order is unpredictable, and solos can start anytime and go on for a while. In cases where there's less structure in the performance, having a palette of stomp switches for overdrive and other effects lets you control the tone for the moment, turning on and off combinations of effects. 

I play in a rock cover band. We plan a set list, but don't always follow it depending on how much people are dancing - we really try to keep people in the club dancing. So there's some structure in the song sequence, and we do have arrangements for each song. But I prefer to use stomp mode where I have my typical sound and effects in a patch I use most of the time. I like this because I don't always play the song exactly the same way - I might use a Mutron instead of a Wah for example. I have a few patches for odd things that are unique to the song. For example, we do Love The One Your With and I use a 12string opened tuned acoustic (Variax) through an acoustic patch with a snapshot for the EBEEBE tuning. I also keep an open-G tuning snapshot in my regular preset for Stones songs.

I'm setting the Helix up to act like a traditional pedal board, right now. So stomp parameter changes works better than snapshots for my general use. I might use snapshots later on, if I need to do several stomps at once.

Your info is very useful, thanks, but it's not really what I was asking. I was more interested to know if Controller Assign was supposed to pop up with a quick hand press (as opposed to a longer hold), seeing as it works fine otherwise.