Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good Vocal recording help

themetallikid

So I have a vocal/acoustic preset that works well for live.....and I copied it and deleted the acoustic portion into a new preset slot for recording vocals.  its ok....passable, but i'm not schooled in best approach on this.  I'm learning Reaper, and know how most effects work, but would rather send something good into reaper than trying to navigate their effects menus.  

I have setup the tube preamp, reverb, LA Comp (stock settings).  I also have a chorus before the tube amp, but don't typically record with it, it just sorta adds something to the vocals when used minimally live.   

Would I benefit from a compressor with specific settings first in the chain?  I'm using a Sennheiser e835 mic, which is good for me live, but I don't have great 'recording' specific gear...nor a budget or want to buy more stuff I'll minimally use.  

Reverb...what are some good reverb settings where I can play with the length and mix to accommodate stuff.  It seems its either present in my recording and overbearing or not really noticeable at all.  

I would just focus on getting as good a vocal/microphone raw recording as possible into a Reaper track. Then use plug-ins (EQ, compression, effects) later during mixing. I imagine Reaper has some very usable free plug-ins for vocals.

Not sure if this is Helix or Reaper related....but sometimes when I'm recording my vocals it sounds like I'm in a small box type reverb/doubler sound.  It wasnt like this earlier, but I can't seem to get rid of it.  I get it in my headphones when monitoring my vocals.  It doesnt seem to come through in the actual recording version....

annoying....any ideas?  I noticed originally it was when I was trying to record two tracks at the same time (in error, not intentionally arming 2 tracks to record).  But as soon as I disarmed one it went away.  Now I've only got one track armed, and its the same on USB 1/2 and 3/4 so its not related to one output.  

Also was setting up a track for my daughter to sing along to (Aladdin song) and when playing hte track the vocals are in the distance, not present up front and its a normal track similar to what i've used the past few days as a reference track on my own recordings.

17 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Not sure if this is Helix or Reaper related....but sometimes when I'm recording my vocals it sounds like I'm in a small box type reverb/doubler sound.  It wasnt like this earlier, but I can't seem to get rid of it.  I get it in my headphones when monitoring my vocals.  It doesnt seem to come through in the actual recording version....

annoying....any ideas?  I noticed originally it was when I was trying to record two tracks at the same time (in error, not intentionally arming 2 tracks to record).  But as soon as I disarmed one it went away.  Now I've only got one track armed, and its the same on USB 1/2 and 3/4 so its not related to one output.  

You are probably getting a mix of direct and software monitoring. Use direct monitoring on your interface if it supports it, and you don't need any effects on vocals while recording. Use software monitoring otherwise (turn any direct output to "computer"). I use software monitoring exclusively because of the flexibility, and the ability to run amp models like Helix Native while recording a dry guitar signal. But you need a good computer and audio interface to keep the latency low.

I usually have been monitoring via Helix Headphone jack.  I didnt get a chance to follow up yesterday, it was clearly user error on what I was inquiring about. I bought a headphone amp so others can listen at the same time if they want, and the adapter from 1/8 to 1/4" even though both stereo, when pushed in all the way must not have been contacting right so I was getting some sort of weird half sound thing. was able to keep it stable 3/4 in and got full sound.

However, I did try recording using USB 1/2 and Channel 8 in reaper and my channel 8 track was silence.  do I need to set the helix to 'All' instead of USB 1/2 to get that dry track?