Sign in to follow this  
JimDiGritz

Helix Floor - overheating???

I've had my Helix Floor since 2016 and other than the Headphone Out crapping out to left signal only it's still working perfectly.. until yesterday.

After an hour playing or so I started to get the sound dropping out. It starts with the odd drop out for 1/2 second (almost like a kill switch), then the dropouts become more frequent and eventually the output drops out completely. 

Here's my troubleshooting so far:

Swapped all 3/4 cables out

Rebooted (seems to work again after a 20 min or so cool down but the problem reappears)

Reinstalled 2.82 firmware

Tried a Variax guitar (same problem, so not likely to be the Guitar In signal...)

Carefully took the bottom plate off and used an air canister to blow out any dust - it was actually pretty spotless inside!

I've also just realised that the tuner is also not registering any signal, so it can't be just the output....

With Corona I can't ship it to the service center, plus I'm not sure it will be worthwhile since roundtrip shipping will be £80/$90, plus a potentially huge repair bill...

Any thoughts?

Jim

Why are you asking about "overheating"? Are you giving it space to breath, or do you enclose it more than what we might considered normal? I'm only asking because you don't mention it at all in your post yet it's part of the subject :) 

My go to for most electronics in a situation like this is the filter caps, BUT - at 3-4 years old, that is far too young for that to be an issue... at least under normal circumstances. 

You tried the guitar input, and Variax... but have you tried a RETURN to see if that is also acting up? Not that it solves the problem, it would just give you more details to provide. 

IMO, I would open a support ticket with Line 6 to see what they have to say.  

Agree with Codamedia about opening a ticket unless someone here points to a solution. Not sure what to say about the tuner not working as you already swapped out the guitar and cable; could be a dirty footswitch. Did you also swap your monitor/amp out? Failing main boards on my powered speakers have caused those kinds of weird heat related dropouts before.  Does it drop out when listening with headphones? Also if it does turn out to be a heat related issue with the Helix there is a vent on the bottom of the chassis so although it probably shouldn't make much of a difference if you have it laying on a rug, putting it up on a board might help at least delay the heat issue until you can get it fixed.

Thanks for the replies.

I mentioned overheating only because it seemed a potential cause since the problem occurs after a period of use (maybe 2 hours?), and switching it off and letting it 'cool down' (say overnight) seems to work. It's uncovered and sitting on carpet, and it's not been moved/relocated in the last 4 years.

Good idea to try one of the Returns - but since the Tuner also stops registering any INPUT when this happens I'm thinking it might be electronics related.... 

I haven't swapped my Monitors out since they are also playing sound from my PC via a Behringer mixer (which I did also troubleshoot by plugging the Helix 3/4 outs straight into the monitors)

I'll raise a ticket but the answer will be to ship it to the service company and pay the money... I just wondered if anyone had had similar issues....

Jim

• Like 1