jfk049

Save Prompt on Helix.

Tell me I'm not the only one here who's ever asked for this.  I love my Helix and have for a number of years.  But it's so frustrating to be editing a preset and, for instance, go to press on Snapshot 1, hit Bank Down by mistake and, just like that,  I'm now in different preset and just lost all the editing I've worked on.  Every software program I know has a saved prompt that protects you from that, because its too easy to get tunnel vision trying to get the sound your looking for.  We now have an "undo" feature, which is great.  Time to go one better, yes?

I'm a little confused as to what you say you're experiencing because hitting Bank Up or Down doesn't automatically make you lose your changes. It takes you into Preset Mode where you should see all the presets in that bank flashing. You can still Cancel with Mode footswitch to take you back into the preset you were editing, and your edits will still be there.

If you're doing major edits, use HX Edit, no hitting wrong buttons.

You refer to SOFTWARE, but obviously editing on the HARDWARE. No hardware I know of (I could be wrong) warns you like that, just software.

Lastly - computers 101 - "SAVE EARLY, SAVE OFTEN!" :-)

• Like 1

There are a thousand ways to avoid this problem without waiting for L6 to hand you a "Pay attention a$$hole!" feature...;)

Just set a timer on your phone for whatever interval you see fit... when it rings, save the patch and reset the timer...lather, rinse, repeat. A 3 second interruption, tops.

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

I'm a little confused as to what you say you're experiencing because hitting Bank Up or Down doesn't automatically make you lose your changes

I think he's confusing Preset switching up and down with Bank switching up and down.  Changing the functions (in Global Settings) of the up/down switches from Bank to Preset, and then hitting one of those switches, will immediately switch to the next preset.

3 hours ago, jfk049 said:

I love my Helix and have for a number of years.  But it's so frustrating to be editing a preset and, for instance, go to press on Snapshot 1, hit Bank Down by mistake and, just like that,  I'm now in different preset and just lost all the editing I've worked on.

Maybe slow down and pay closer attention to what you're doing?  Not trying to be a wiseguy.  Just saying it might be easier to modify a behavior than to ask software developers, who almost always never read this forum, to make a change.

3 hours ago, jfk049 said:

Every software program I know has a saved prompt that protects you from that, because its too easy to get tunnel vision trying to get the sound your looking for.

A workaround for this would be to go to your Global Settings - Footswithces and change the Presets parameter to Banks.

If you are still bent on getting that save prompt, head on over to https://line6.ideascale.com.  If someone has already suggested such a feature, upvote it.  If not, create a new post.

19 hours ago, jfk049 said:

Tell me I'm not the only one here who's ever asked for this.  I love my Helix and have for a number of years.  But it's so frustrating to be editing a preset and, for instance, go to press on Snapshot 1, hit Bank Down by mistake and, just like that,  I'm now in different preset and just lost all the editing I've worked on.  Every software program I know has a saved prompt that protects you from that, because its too easy to get tunnel vision trying to get the sound your looking for.  We now have an "undo" feature, which is great.  Time to go one better, yes?

problem there would be if you have this and are trying to hit the presets to switch presets, and it give you a save prompt and doesn't switch it could screw you over live.  Maybe if you made it an option you could turn on or off in global settings it might work, but there would have to be an option to turn that off.   

• Upvote 1

Or maybe you could be like the rest of the world is since the introduction of PC's at the desktop and have the discipline to save your work regularly.  That's why we don't complain...we all learned our lesson 30 years ago.

5 hours ago, caledoneus said:

problem there would be if you have this and are trying to hit the presets to switch presets, and it give you a save prompt and doesn't switch it could screw you over live.  Maybe if you made it an option you could turn on or off in global settings it might work, but there would have to be an option to turn that off.   

In TH3/THU there's a LIVE mode that discards changes when ON.

But again, that's SW. Even if it can be done in HW, people would then complain that they forget to turn it on, and why can't Helix SENSE when they're performing? How hard can it be to implement that sort of simple AI in a product as expensive as Helix?

ATTENTION!!! SARCASM ALERT! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^