Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impossible to get a "dry" clean tone?? On Spider V 20 MkII

jakdawgus

I've been pretty st0ked on this amp I purchased for my small practice studio. But occasionally, even with all the great sounds Line 6 Spider V technology has, I am trying to get just a "clean" signal to the driver. I have a set of the standard outboards pedals for sculpting my sound. But none of the 128 presets or any tweaks I have done to them have given me a sound that wasn't "time-smeared" and colored in a negative way. The real tell-tale is when I am using my RC-2 or RC-10r BOSS looper pedals' drum sounds. The snare and especially the cymbals are all resonating in a weird, mushy way that extends the attacks over a couple dozen ms, taking the definition away. It's not just EQ, which I can adjust for "flat" tone. They sound like crap anyway, and it takes some of the enjoyment away from practicing. This is with all the effects off (no chorus/mod, delay, reverb) in the amp, no distortion or overdrive, and using one of the "clean" amp models, with the preamp gain lowered as much as I can and still get output. If I compare it to my other practice amps - a Roland 30x and an old Fender - the clean channel sound is crisp and tight and the BOSS drum sounds (which are EQ'ed to sound fairly flat out of a guitar amp) work very well. Anybody got a clue or a hot tip how to just bypass all the DSP and feed the power stage in the Line 6 Spider V directly? Am I thinking about this in the right way? Thanks for any help, sincerely!!  -JD in San Francisco

With a small inexpensive digital practice amp like the V20, you're probably not going to get decent results with outboard pedals. It wasn't designed for it. If you've tried the "Acoustic" amp, it's probably going to be as close as you'll get to a clean, unmodeled tone. There is no way to access the power amp directly with that model. The Spider V30 model and above you can access the power amp using the aux input for just the purpose you are looking for.