Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Control Strategy? Pod Hd Pro X --> Stagesource L3t

Hi,

I have my POD HD Pro X connected to the StageSource L3T using a L6 Connection.  What is the best strategy to manage volume between the two devices and their associated patches?

POD HP Pro Configuration

Output: Studio Direct

Patch Input 1: Guitar

Patch Input 2: Same

StageSource L3T Configuration

Speaker: Auto Controlled by HD Pro X

Master Volume: 50%

For whatever reason Line 6 as a company has done a really poor job in providing online configuration best practices between the HD Pro X and Stagesource devices.  I feel as if I have to go all lab study and test and re-test every configuration becuase of this lack of documentation.  On the positive side, the community has helped me a lot and I appreciate that help.  So getting off my soap box, can someone help me with the best practices and strategy for setting up the volume between these devices and their associated patches.

Thanks

I think the setup you describe is exactly right. That's what I use with L6 LINK connecting my Pod HD Pro to 2 L3t speakers. I find the best arrangement is to set the L3t volume at the 'notch' which I believe is the 50% mark and control the overall volume with the Master Volume on the HD Pro (not the Amp Master volume). Then it's just a matter of the usual patch volume leveling on the HD Pro.

One thing to watch is the Mode setting on the L3t. I get the best results using Studio output on the HD Pro. With that setup you want to have the L3t in Reference mode. However, by default the HD Pro will reset the L3t mode to Electric Guitar with every patch change. What you need to do (a one time exercise) is re-save your HD Pro patches with the L3t in Reference mode. As you proceed doing this you may have to manually set the L3t to Reference mode after each patch change, then immediately save the patch on the HD Pro. Subsequently, every time you recall a patch the HD Pro will set the L3t to the saved setting of Reference mode.

It's not a documented 'official' strategy, but I think most people (myself included) do this:

Begin with your clean patches. When they are all 'leveled', move on to the dirty/crunchy ones, then finish with the hi-gain and/or solo patches.

Only use the HD Pro device Master volume at the beginning, to set your first clean patch to the desired volume level of all your patches. Let's call this your 'target' level. After that, don't touch this setting; it does nothing for patch leveling because it affects all patches identically.

Then, for each patch, the idea is to level the relative volume of this patch to match your 'target' level while changing the tone as little as possible. Your tools for doing this are the amp channel volume (not amp Master volume) and the Mixer. These adjust the volume only without changing tonality. Avoid using the Drive knob or the Amp Master volume; these settings really affect tonality.

If the Channel Volume and Mixer settings are insufficient,  try playing with some clean-ish FX such as  Vintage Preamp or the Tube Compressor that, with some settings you will learn through experience, can greatly affect volume with minimal tonal changes. Of course, you can also add a Vol FX to change the level using your pedal rather than the Channel Volume or Mixer. You can save the patch with the desired VOL level, and set the min/max values to taste.

Once you have the volume level you think matches other patches, test them together by switching patches one at a time to detect those that still need some leveling. Do this within and across the patch groupings (clean, dirty/crunchy, higain/solo).

It's a time-consuming process but it does work.

• Upvote 2