Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Amplified by Boss Katana MkII

Cuffman

Hi All. Has anyone had any experience of using the Boss Katana 100 MKII amplifiers to amplify their Helix? Apparently there is a Power out input that enables you to bypass the Katana and just use it as a FRFR type speaker. 

I have one and it sounds pretty good.You can only use the master volume once you connect into the power amp part of the katana it disables all of the controls except master volume.I like the boss because its a really good amp also and it would make a great backup.

• Like 1

I have an Artist Mk2 and the Power Amp in works OK, but you are still working with a guitar amp speaker so it won't be FRFR.  Good enough for most purposes.  I tend to just put in a pre-amp block rather than an amp, cab, IR etc, on the basis that the Katana power amp and speaker will colour the sound anyway.  It gives a variation of sounds, but not necessarily an accurate representation of the amp/cab modelling.  I normally use the 4 cable method, and I actually can't hear much difference between the Power Amp input and the Effects Loop Return. Using the Power Amp In means that I have to unplug the Guitar In and move the Helix Out from Katana Effects Return to Power Amp In.  If I leave the 4 cable method wiring as it is, I can just switch from a Helix preset with a Send/Return to one with a pre-amp, and not bother switching cable around.

• Like 1