Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with trem effects!

ashm25

Hi, I'm going to try and describe this so it makes sense...

My band plays to click and we often tie in effects with the BPM. For a while I have wanted to do this with tremolo effects, particularly for a sawtooth wave 'tech glitch' kind of sound. For a quick pop example that everyone will know - think how the opening to 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' by Green Day has the tremolo perfectly in time with the rhythm of the song.

However, I haven't found a tremolo pedal (on Helix or an external pedal) which 'activates' the trem rhythm upon hitting the footswitch. Whether the effect is on or not, the rhythm seems to be constantly going in the background and when you hit the footswitch you just pick it up wherever it is on its waveform. This is fine if you just want it to have a general trem effect, but if you need it to specifically line up with and accentuate the pulse of the song, you have to hope the click and trem are perfectly in line.

I imagine with more fancy on-stage equipment you can line that stuff up, but we are not at that level just yet! Surely - surely - there is a way to make the tremolo rhythm start upon clicking the footswitch??

Does that make any sense?! Any and all help appreciated!

Thanks,

Ash.

1 hour ago, ashm25 said:

Hi, I'm going to try and describe this so it makes sense...

My band plays to click and we often tie in effects with the BPM. For a while I have wanted to do this with tremolo effects, particularly for a sawtooth wave 'tech glitch' kind of sound. For a quick pop example that everyone will know - think how the opening to 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' by Green Day has the tremolo perfectly in time with the rhythm of the song.

However, I haven't found a tremolo pedal (on Helix or an external pedal) which 'activates' the trem rhythm upon hitting the footswitch. Whether the effect is on or not, the rhythm seems to be constantly going in the background and when you hit the footswitch you just pick it up wherever it is on its waveform. This is fine if you just want it to have a general trem effect, but if you need it to specifically line up with and accentuate the pulse of the song, you have to hope the click and trem are perfectly in line.

I imagine with more fancy on-stage equipment you can line that stuff up, but we are not at that level just yet! Surely - surely - there is a way to make the tremolo rhythm start upon clicking the footswitch??

Does that make any sense?! Any and all help appreciated!

Thanks,

Ash.

Hi Ash,

A similar sort of issue came up in another thread regarding starting a filter sweep.

IIRC, someone thought that the Throbber Legacy effect was a possible solution.

Not sure if it helps with your situation, but worth checking I guess.

Unfortunately the low frequency oscillator in tremolos do not reset on the rising edge of playing a note, they just run continuously. I tried the "throbber" and it doesn't either. Your best bet would be to synchronize your click track to your Helix. with both set at the same tempo, play a note to let it oscillate, then start your click on the beat of your tremolo. 

• Upvote 1