Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix USB audio into Zoom meeting

Rowbi

Hi dudes!

Me and a few chums are going to have a virtual guitar dual using Zoom during the UK COVID19 lockdown.  So as my kids will be asleep upstairs while this duel takes place I thought that instead of trying to mic up a real amp, using the helix via USB should mean I can have the guitar tone go straight into the zoom meeting with no risk of waking the kids :-)
however for some reason Zoom doesn’t like the Helix as an input device and I can’t seem to get an input in Zoom registering.

some other facts:

it’s the latest version of the zoom app on Windows 10 , and win 10 is up to date.

its the latest Helix FW and drivers.

Zoom output will work via USB to the helix and I can hear the zoom test tones out of my headphones connected to Helix.

zoom app works fine with my USB headset microphone and headphones.

helix usb input works fine into Reaper.

i realise that I’ll also need another device dialled into the same zoom meeting to capture my voice through another microphone - which I’ll likely do with my iphone.

I support other video conference tools as part of my job in IT so I’m not a noob with conference tools (although I’m not that experienced with Zoom).

anyone got any ideas why this doesn’t seem to work for me - when theoretically it should be awesome!!?? Is it perhaps that zoom doesn’t support ASIO devices as an input microphone but does support ASIO  for output devices.?

cheers

Rowbi

I have managed this... I tried many things to include virtual cables, eventually I found this to be the simplest:  get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, plug your helix into your PC's Line In (assuming there is one built into the motherboard), set Zoom to use Line In as its input.  Don't bother getting a dual TRS to 1/8" cable, Zoom and all the others collapse to mono anyway (I'm pretty sure).

For the microphone, I'm assuming you have one plugged into the Helix?  Or how do you intend to talk?

In my setup, I have my DAW running Helix Native, guitar and microphone plugged into my audio interface, one of the outputs form my interface running to my PC's Line In.  I have compared the Line in Capture with the direct capture from the DAW - it sounds pretty much just as good, any improvements from using some kind of virtual cable setup will be lost in Zoom's compression anyway I would imagine.

Edit: P.S. Windows has a setting for Line In which is essentially the gain, although I forget what it is called... you have to adjust by trial and error, monitor the Line In signal and increase this setting until the waveform is sufficiently amplified.  Mine is set to 50% and its perfect.

Thanks for your reply,

I thought that would be an option, but was trying to avoid it as it seemed the USB way should work.

as I mentioned earlier - I’ll likely use my iPhone dialled into the same Zoom call for my vocal

microphone (iPhone headset around my neck for mic pickup)

then Helix into my laptop and guitar is the input for the laptop calling into zoom, and my headphones from helix will monitor my guitar tone and also be the audio output from laptop on zoom call (so those headphones will also hear all other participants).

sounds complex but should be ok

Yeah... ideally it could all be done on the computer but after messing around with a bunch of software and settings I found a cable to be the simplest and easiest soloution.

If you want you can mess around with this free program called VoiceMeeter Banana:

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Theoretically you could use it to re-route USB audio from Helix into a VoiceMeeter "Virtual Cable" that you would then set Zoom the virtual cable as its microphone.  However, I could not get it to work properly in my setup, but I was using a DAW and Native.  Maybe you will have more luck with your setup.

Similar situation:

First, I have success when running mics in to my Focusrite 18i20, and USB out from the interface and in to my computer. DAWs recognize the interface, hear the signal, and sounds great when using Zoom.

But I want to add some effects to the signal. So after unsuccessfully trying to enter my HX Stomp in the mix described above, I tried this:

Mics go in to a simple 2-channel Mackie analog mixer (because the mics need power), main out to my HX Stomp, USB out of the Stomp and in to my computer. Again, any of my DAWs recognize the ASIO, and hear the signal (sounds great). Then I open Zoom...

Zoom recognizes the Stomp as an ASIO device, and shows up as a selectee in "microphones". But that's the end of it. Once I select it as my desired mic input, it won't work. Why, why, why???

Thanks, 

Kirk

A digital audio interface should work. Earlier this week, using I believe the most up to date version of Zoom, I was able to use a Focusrite interface as both mic input and headphone output to a Zoom meeting. I can't think of any reason why a Helix into the Focusrite would be treated any differently by the Zoom software than a mic into the Focusrite. This way, you can still use USB and should be able to run all three, Helix, mic, and headphones out, from the audio interface, assuming it has at least two inputs.

I know, it's making me nuts! My Focusrite works great with Zoom, and so it seems another interface, any other interface - say, the Stomp - SHOULD work! 

It must be something as simple as an output setting on the Stomp. Still, like the OP, Rowbi, I get a signal in ALL other DAWs, so why not in Zoom??

I have managed to get it working by using a canle

from helix 1/4” output to PC line in.  Doesn’t sounds brilliant but it’ll do.  Thanks for this suggestion.

interestingly at work we use Lifesize video conferencing and their app can accept helix usb input fine.

i read a bit about Zoom Rooms and their support for interfaces and one they support is a Focusrite.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005041846-Configure-Multiple-XLR-Microphones?mobile_site=true

it might be possible that the Zoom app only allows interfaces that identify themselves from manufacturers that Zoom has configured to accept - or that assumption could be incorrect.

cheers

andy

Good morning every one !

I have exactly the same problem but generalised to my computer.

I would like to set up the helix as USB audio interface. Sometime W10 (1909 Pro X64).

I  have spend 4 hours this afternoon trying to find solutions ... I cannot imaging that i have buy a thing wich is not able to simply do the job on zoom / skype / discord.

and yes i have set all path sending on USB1-2 also take care of leveling and Gain on input mic ...

Does everybody have the same problem ?

22 hours ago, ptigenesis said:

Good morning every one !

I would like to set up the helix as USB audio interface. Sometime W10 (1909 Pro X64).

I  have spend 4 hours this afternoon trying to find solutions ... I cannot imaging that i have buy a thing wich is not able to simply do the job on zoom / skype / discord.

and yes i have set all path sending on USB1-2 also take care of leveling and Gain on input mic ...

im going to be playing with this more but from reading it seems to be a problem that’s hard to solve.

there is a mixer/interface called the Yamaha AG03/AG06 that I might get. It works really well for live streamers and worth watching a few videos what it can do. Seems like a great bit of kit. You can plug the helix and mic into it and run phone into and get audio happening from computer going back in to the mixer which the. Sends it to the other person. 

Anyone here tried using Dante Via?

It allows you to select which sources (anything from DAWs to phyiscal inputs) go to which destinations (applications like zoom etc)
So you could set your Helix via interface or usb through DAW as an audio destination to Zoom, as well as your laptop mic

Here's a photo where I've set Trackslive and the laptop mic as sources for Zoom

You're able to do a 30 day trial to experiment with to figure out whether it works for you or not :) 

Danta via.png

On 4/5/2020 at 12:33 AM, ptigenesis said:

Good morning every one !

I don’t know about the other tools - however I have an idea that as Zoom Rooms ( the app you can run on PC or proprietary hardware as a meeting room setup) appears to allow audio interfaces to be selected. However a Zoom Rooms license costs more than an individual license. Or of course the free version.  FYI I’ve tested this with the free and pro license so it’s not an audio issue only for the free version.

i use another video conferencing tool for work called Lifesize (a direct Zoom competitor) - and their app does accept Helix as an input interface!

On 4/5/2020 at 11:24 PM, darren1982 said:

im going to be playing with this more but from reading it seems to be a problem that’s hard to solve.

there is a mixer/interface called the Yamaha AG03/AG06 that I might get. It works really well for live streamers and worth watching a few videos what it can do. Seems like a great bit of kit. You can plug the helix and mic into it and run phone into and get audio happening from computer going back in to the mixer which the. Sends it to the other person. 

cool find.  Ordered the Yamaha AG06 for kicks

8 hours ago, QuentinMcMillan said:

Anyone here tried using Dante Via?

It allows you to select which sources (anything from DAWs to phyiscal inputs) go to which destinations (applications like zoom etc)
So you could set your Helix via interface or usb through DAW as an audio destination to Zoom, as well as your laptop mic

Here's a photo where I've set Trackslive and the laptop mic as sources for Zoom

You're able to do a 30 day trial to experiment with to figure out whether it works for you or not :) 

Danta via.png

good find I might give that a go next time Im trying to use Helix into Zoom

I believe the reason Zoom won’t recognize the Stomp as an input is because of sample rate incompatibility.

i was using a lynx aurora i/o with zoom and it worked perfectly.  Then my foot hit the sample rate button on the lynx changing it to 96khz.  Suddenly Zoom wouldn’t let me select it as a microphone anymore.

i switched back to 44.1 and Zoom was happy with it.

afaik... The Hx Stomp is 96khz out of the USB and there’s no way to change that in the unit itself.  Hence.... Zoom won’t let you select it as a microphone.  

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Had that same requirement for online instrument classes.

My solution was to use Voicemeeter Banana.

I have the Helix and the webcam microphone as separate hardware inputs in Voicemeeter, the computer sounds go to Voicemeeter VAIO (to mix in a backing track from Youtube or other source).

Then on Zoom, I set the microphone as the Voicemeeter VAIO (everything you mix in the VAIO channel will be sent to Zoom) and the speaker as the Voicemeeter Aux.

After that, I set one of the output channels to my PC headphone out.

Now I can decide what I want to hear trough the headphones (my bass, the backing track, the sound from my teacher, all of the above,....).

Voicemeeter is not that complex but it is extremely flexible and gives you the power to decide what goes where.

The only issue so far, is a slight delay/latency between playing and hearing the bass through the PC headphone out (no latency using the Helix headphone out) but I decide to still use so I'm able to sync my playing with the backing track.

It can be caused by a number of things. It can either be a config/settings issue, an Helix driver issue, or my PC not being able to cope (just a regular laptop).

I'm still looking into it...

Be safe and have fun!

Cheers,

Pedro.

4 hours ago, xupamix said:

Hi all,

Had that same requirement for online instrument classes.

My solution was to use Voicemeeter Banana.

I have the Helix and the webcam microphone as separate hardware inputs in Voicemeeter, the computer sounds go to Voicemeeter VAIO (to mix in a backing track from Youtube or other source).

Then on Zoom, I set the microphone as the Voicemeeter VAIO (everything you mix in the VAIO channel will be sent to Zoom) and the speaker as the Voicemeeter Aux.

After that, I set one of the output channels to my PC headphone out.

Now I can decide what I want to hear trough the headphones (my bass, the backing track, the sound from my teacher, all of the above,....).

Voicemeeter is not that complex but it is extremely flexible and gives you the power to decide what goes where.

The only issue so far, is a slight delay/latency between playing and hearing the bass through the PC headphone out (no latency using the Helix headphone out) but I decide to still use so I'm able to sync my playing with the backing track.

It can be caused by a number of things. It can either be a config/settings issue, an Helix driver issue, or my PC not being able to cope (just a regular laptop).

I'm still looking into it...

Be safe and have fun!

Cheers,

Pedro.

I’ll give voicemeeter another look.  What I wanted to do was have a dual path in the stomp... one for guitar, one for a mic.  Then I plug my phone into the returns of the stomp to play any tracks from the web or other play along apps.  Then all that is sent to the computer.... and hopefully there wouldn’t be any latency. 

Maybe that’s an alternate solution for you so there’s no latency?

Sean Meredith-Jones 

www.seanmeredithjones.com 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:45 PM, Smj7 said:

I believe the reason Zoom won’t recognize the Stomp as an input is because of sample rate incompatibility.

i was using a lynx aurora i/o with zoom and it worked perfectly.  Then my foot hit the sample rate button on the lynx changing it to 96khz.  Suddenly Zoom wouldn’t let me select it as a microphone anymore.

i switched back to 44.1 and Zoom was happy with it.

afaik... The Hx Stomp is 96khz out of the USB and there’s no way to change that in the unit itself.  Hence.... Zoom won’t let you select it as a microphone.  

I've had the same problem, and at least on Windows, if you go to Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording (tab) -> HELIX Audio (right click, Properties) -> Advanced (tab), you can change the USB sample rate to 44.1 khz. This is also allowed Skype to use the Helix as an audio input for me. Thanks for the clue on sample rates Smj7!

And an FYI just in case it wasn't already mentioned, the global settings on the Helix itself doesn't affect USB sample rate, you can see that documented here https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/global-settings.html.

helix_usb_sample_rate_change_1.png

helix_usb_sample_rate_change_2.png