Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

All of my variax outputs have issues... any suggestions?

I have a variax 700  and but all of my outputs have issues with the sound cutting out.

1) If I use the DVI cable the sound cuts out if then end of the jack inserted in the variax gets slightly jiggled. I'm using a proper VDI cable with the locking heads, but it only takes the slightest jiggle to lose audio. I've visually inspected the pins and none look suspect or bent. I can mitigate this issue by wrapping the VDI caple around my strap to prevent it tugging when I move about. This is the least of my problems but including here in case it provides a hint for what the problem might be.

2) If I use a normal guitar cable with batteries in the compartment, the sound dies out very quickly. With 6 AA batteries in a cradle, it will work for 2 seconds, cut out, come back for 2 seconds and then cut out again. The sound won't come back unless I remove the guitar cable and reinsert. If I use a 9v battery instead, I get about 4-5 seconds of sound then it cuts out, doesn't come back at all unless I remove and re-insert the guitar cable. This is the one I would really like to get working. 

3) If I use the XPS power supply with the special TRS cable it mostly works, but occasionally also cuts out and only comes back by removing the guitar cable and reinserting into the variax. Whilst this setup "mostly works" it does cut out inconsistently and I hate having to use all the additional cables this setup requires.

I'm pretty frustrated to have these issues with all of my output methods, hopeful someone has some suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...