Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching to Native - Pedal control advice

JimDiGritz

So my 4yr old Helix Floor has properly given up the ghost. I'll ship it back to the UK service center but with Corona and what might be a massive repair bill I've just put the unit back in it's box for now. I'll get it fully refurbed and probably list it on eBay.

I just jam at home (with backing tracks etc) via PC headphone and monitors and only bought the Helix Floor because L6 hadn't released any of the smaller devices or Native at that point.

I'm really happy with Native and my Focusrite interface. The only thing I miss is the Wah/expression pedal. I assumed I could just buy and plug in a USB expression pedal and assign that to the Wah variable in Native. Are there any gotcha's here??

Whilst browsing expression pedals I also stumbled across this Line6 FBV Express MKII https://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_fbv_express_usb.htm - it appeared to be the perfect solution (eg an expression pedal, a couple of assignable switches for the odd Overdrive Block/Snapshot change - it's also a L6 product so I thought it may have some additional features...). However after 5 mins googling and diving into some TGP 'discussions' I'm not sure it will actually work as I expect.

Has anyone used Native with the above or another simple footswitch & expression pedal setup?

Thanks

Jim

If the pedal sends MIDI CC then it will work. I don't know of any simple Expression pedals that send MIDI.

I've tested Native with the FCB1010, works fine. The FBV, having a toe switch on the Exp pedal should be even better.

Be aware that unless you have a MAC with Logic (maybe some others - READ THE LATEST NATIVE MANUAL), Program Changes don't work.

Snapshots work fine, as they use CCs. The FBV might not have enough buttons, you may want the bigger version. READ THE MANUAL!

I had the larger version of the FBV for a while when I had a HD500, seemed to be sturdy and not too difficult to program.

If you don't know what the various MIDI messages (PC,CC,NOTE) do, google it BEFORE trying to program the FBV.

If all you care about is a WAH, just put one in front of the Focusrite. Works fine.