Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems last Update G10 and G10t

Power_Chord

I have problems,  the chargin base not charge the G10t since the last update. 

I updated by prevention, by the heat alert, it has always worked correctly

Is a downgrade possible?

:(

please, where can i find the 1.0 and 1.4 updates? ... wuf format,   the G10RX_1_0.wuf and G10Tx_1_4.wuf

Edit:

And this mode dont work for my

9c8356046ab55fcbc33c1d0ece70dc86o.png

attach the files i used

G10RX_1_1.wuf G10Tx_1_5.wuf

• Upvote 1

I also tried opening a ticket.  They ask you to try updating again, then direct you to the service centre for your country for a replacement.  I have replied asking them to confirm that as everything worked prior to the 'required' update, that this will not be chargeable.  Waiting for their reply.  I'd also have been happy to downgrade the FW, i mentioned that but no response on that suggestion as expected.  If they want me to pay for the replacement I'll switch to another brand - everything I've ever had from Line6 has ended up unsupported or incompatible with newer OSes sooner or later.

4 hours ago, br_campbell said:

I also tried opening a ticket.  They ask you to try updating again, then direct you to the service centre for your country for a replacement.  I have replied asking them to confirm that as everything worked prior to the 'required' update, that this will not be chargeable.  Waiting for their reply.  I'd also have been happy to downgrade the FW, i mentioned that but no response on that suggestion as expected.  If they want me to pay for the replacement I'll switch to another brand - everything I've ever had from Line6 has ended up unsupported or incompatible with newer OSes sooner or later.

How old is the G10?

As far as the OS thing, I mean, all operating systems become obsolete at some point. When the companies that publish the OS stop supporting it, there's not much else third parties can do.

18 hours ago, br_campbell said:

Response from Line6 today - replacement will be free.  So worth opening a ticket in that case.

7 hours ago, br_campbell said:

Response from Line6 today - replacement will be free.  So worth opening a ticket in that case.

If new unit has that same latest firmware, the replacement wont give you battery life back. It’s just the way it works.

2 hours ago, PierM said:

If new unit has that same latest firmware, the replacement wont give you battery life back. It’s just the way it works.

Well, if his battery was at diminished capacity, the new unit will give him the full six hours.

8 minutes ago, PierM said:

Nope. Even if it's a fresh battery, it won't last 6 hours. 

How long is it lasting? I’m definitely getting very close to six hours with two of my three transmitters (the two newest ones).

On 4/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, phil_m said:

How long is it lasting? I’m definitely getting very close to six hours with two of my three transmitters (the two newest ones).

You seems the only one here, that’s interesting. As I said, I have 3 units (2 mine, one of my brother), one of them it’s UNUSED, and still works for 3 hours after the update. New one, fresh from the box, just 15/20 minutes more than the other one (but it’s a delta that could be easily wrong, since it’s hard to time it precisely); around 3 hours tho., then it’s red flashing for couple of minutes and done. Honestly I see NO DIFFERENCE between a 3 years old unit or a new one, as soon as they have the latest firmware. They all behave the same. Anyway, looks same story for this guy too;

On 4/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, cruisinon2 said:

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, I'd look for something else if I were you. If you order a new one it's gonna come with the new firmware whether you like it or not and the battery life is significantly reduced from what it used to be. To L6's credit, they replaced my unit when the update reduced my battery life from 6+ hours to less than 3 hours... unfortunately the firmware "fix" simply doesn't allow the battery to charge to full capacity anymore, and my new one is behaving just like the old one. After just a little over an hour of playing, I'm down to one green bar on the display from a "full" charge, whereas in the past the display would indicate a "full" 3 bars for more than 2 hours.

1 hour ago, PierM said:

You seems the only one here, that’s interesting. As I said, I have 3 units (2 mine, one of my brother), one of them it’s UNUSED, and still works for 3 hours after the update. New one, fresh from the box, just 15/20 minutes more than the other one (but it’s a delta that could be easily wrong, since it’s hard to time it precisely); around 3 hours tho., then it’s red flashing for couple of minutes and done. Honestly I see NO DIFFERENCE between a 3 years old unit or a new one, as soon as they have the latest firmware. They all behave the same. Anyway, looks same story for this guy too;

What I’m still not clear on is whether people are going from the actual behavior of the transmitter or just the indicators on the receiver. In my experience, the indicators on the receiver are not very accurate. Even when my receiver is flashing red, the LED on the transmitter stays green for a good while.

40 minutes ago, phil_m said:

What I’m still not clear on is whether people are going from the actual behavior of the transmitter or just the indicators on the receiver. In my experience, the indicators on the receiver are not very accurate. Even when my receiver is flashing red, the LED on the transmitter stays green for a good while.

I have a G10, (not the S version) so no bars for me. When stuff is flashing red, it will last 2 or 3 minutes then it’s done.

5 minutes ago, PierM said:

I have a G10, (not the S version) so no bars for me. When stuff is flashing red, it will last 2 or 3 minutes then it’s done.

Hmmm... Well, last time I got my transmitter down to the point it was flashing red, which was like last weekend, it stayed that way for over 20 minutes. I didn't actually let it die, so I just recharged it at that point.

It really does seem to me that people are seeing very disparate behavior from their batteries.

21 hours ago, phil_m said:

It really does seem to me that people are seeing very disparate behavior from their batteries.

Which clearly was NOT happening before the update, or we'd have all been hearing the whining about inconsistent and/or diminished battery life for quite some time now... the update screwed the pooch. Period.

Limiting charging capacity, and thereby the usefulness of every unit sold, to fix a battery overheating issue that affected a miniscule percentage of the total number of units in the wild is not a "fix". Replace the batteries with something else that doesn't overheat and leave everybody with the same performance that they used to have. THAT'S a fix. And instead of replacing entire systems, all they'd have to do is send everybody a new transmitter with the new battery, and leave the performance alone. I don't get it.

Normally, I wait a while before doing any firmware updates, so I can see what the fallout is from the early adopters... so ultimately I blame myself. Had I just given it a few days, I'd still have the same product I purchased a year ago, so lesson learned.

And I'll say it again... customer service was very nice to me, and replaced my unit,  so credit where credit is due. But the new one's battery life is just barely any better than the old one. It's not a solution...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, phil_m said:

Hmmm... Well, last time I got my transmitter down to the point it was flashing red, which was like last weekend, it stayed that way for over 20 minutes. I didn't actually let it die, so I just recharged it at that point.

All I know is the firmware is probably clamping charging currents, or just squeezing the math, to fool the battery charging logics, and that’s to prevent a thermal runaway, without have to recall the hardware. Whatever they did, it ruined the charge cycle lifespan by a good 40/50%, depending how many cycles the battery has/had.. Also, let’s jump on that old statement from DI;

Here's the scoop: According to the battery vendor, the G10 transmitter specs at or better than 80% of its capacity after 300 full charging cycles. 300 full charging cycles equates to 2,400 total hours of playing, so if your gig is only one hour long, that means 2,400 gigs and 2,400 charges. What happens after 2,400 total hours of playing? Probably nothing, other than the battery might max out at 6-1/2 hours (80%) instead of 8. This is on par with Apple laptop batteries and better than many smartphones, both of which'll see way more usage than a wireless guitar transmitter.

None of my G10 has been used for 300 full cycles, not even close. One of them had probably 50 cycles, the oldest probably 200, and in fact they were all lasting a good 6.5/7 hours before to blink red. The third unit, was a gift, that has been barely played, so it has few cycles total. As DI mentioned, battery life wasnt a factor originally (and in fact nobody ever complained about old batteries being weak), as it is not for any average Li-ion battery, which btw should last in the range of 500/1200 cycles, depending on specs and currents.

If Line 6 were a car manufacture and there happened to be a safety problem with (let's say) the transmission.  They wouldn't remove a gear to fix the problem, decreasing the car's top speed, and then call it good.  They would either replace the problematic part on the transmission or the whole transmission with a newer redesigned transmission.  

Decreasing a product's performance is not a proper fix.  Especially when many of us bought it for what it was advertised to do.  There needs to be a proper recall and/or refunds for those of us who purchased the product before this so-called fix was pushed out. 

I wouldn't be the person to start this, but the words class action lawsuit come to mind.  I don't particularly like class actions because the lawyers are the only ones who win.  But what other recourse do we as consumers have, other than voting with our $ and shopping elsewhere?

• Upvote 1

I don't have one of these units, but I've been following these threads and I'd be pretty irked if this happened to me too. Line 6 has a pretty good track record for customer service and doing what's right -- in this case, they hobbled a product in a way that causes it to not meet its original specs, and in some cases turned working units into hardly-working units. It's clearly a band-aid fix because they had no better option, and weren't willing or able to recall them.

If I were in their shoes, the right thing to do would be to offer customers free or heavily-discounted replacement with a newer revised model, whenever that comes out. You can't just neuter somebody's product they bought for a hundred dollars or more and expect them to say, "oh well."

Edit: I'll just add, considering how many consumer products that use Li-Po or Li-Ion batteries have had these kinds of expensive failures over the years, it boggles my mind that built-in temperature sensing that feeds back to the charging circuit still isn't standard in everything that uses them. It won't fix every possible failure, but it would take a big slice out of overcharging-related failures.

2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm not betting on one at all... never mind within days.

We all hope for a firmware update, but line6 support told me there was none on track for the moment.

@cruisinon2  I'm so sorry, instead of answering you, I clicked 'report post'.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, hnaline6 said:

Can you guys recommend another brand if LIne 6 doesn't solve this?   I'm seeing a ton at Amazon, but I don't know if they're any good.  People tend to put 5 stars on the cheap brands.

The only products out there that are within the same price range, digital, and reliable are:

The Xvive U2, which has 100 ft line of site range and up to 5 hrs of battery life.

The Boss WL-20L, which has a 50 ft line of site range and up to 12 hrs of battery life.

The Boss WL-50, which has 65 ft line of site range and up to 12 hrs of battery life.

Prices and availability will vary depending on your location.  These are all non-replaceable Li-Ion battery powered products.  So be wary of that.  And watch out for Amazon.  A lot of counterfeit junk being sold there.  If you live in the US or a territory with the US zip code system, I'd highly recommend buying from Sweetwater.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lungho said:

These are all non-replaceable Li-Ion battery powered products...

Near as I can tell the Boss WL-50 has essentially the same form factor as the G10S, and unless I'm missing something, the battery in the G10 transmitter isn't replaceable either... so even if they hadn't neutered the product, we all would eventually have to buy a new transmitter anyway. That being the case, I can't really call that a negative for the Boss unit.

I will probably eventually go with the Boss...3 hours of battery life isn't cutting it for me.

Well guys, I've got the same problem as others. Before the update, I would get  about 6 hours of playing time. Now after the update, maybe 2-2.5. I'm going to do a test and see accurately how long it's lasting continuously without sleep mode. BTW, this is my second unit. My first lasted a few months before it wouldn't accept a charge and it was getting hot. I hope the overheating fix isn't horrible battery life. There is no way to gig with a 2 hour battery life.

Where did they said that? I have received something like 25 emails screaming to apply the firmware. None of the them said battery duration was going to be reduced by 40/50%. L6 didnt say that loud at all (quite the opposite, a sneaky move, if i have to say); they just later admitted, what people reported over here, and through the opened tickets.

This is the official statement; no mention to battery life.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE

Line 6 Relay G10, Relay G10S, and Relay G10T wireless products were introduced beginning in 2016. Since that time, we have become aware of four incidents of extreme overheating occurring in the transmitter during recharging.

If you own any of these products—or use a G10T Transmitter with wireless-capable Line 6 Spider V/Spider V MkII or Yamaha THR-II amplifiers—you must update your product to the latest firmware as soon as possible. Step-by-step instructions are provided below.

The Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cable (an optional accessory not included with Relay G10, Relay G10S, or Relay G10T), which may be used to connect a G10T transmitter to a powered USB port, can also contribute to extreme overheating in the transmitter. The Relay G10T USB Charging Cable cannot be repaired and the concern cannot be remedied by a firmware update to other Relay G10 products. If you purchased a Relay G10T USB Charging Cable, please discontinue using it. Owners of the cable who provide satisfactory proof of its destruction will receive a refund.

• Upvote 1

Release date of latest life saving firmware: March 12th, 2020.

Date I received my first email about said firmware: May 7th, 2020. 

@Line6Tony .....great job man.  I finally got it.  I know you said something about millions of customers...can't send emails out all out at once...flagged for spam...blah blah blah, but it takes nearly 2 months (assuming you sent the first emails on 3/12) for an urgent email about a potential fire hazard to reach my inbox?  Come on man!  We can do better than that.  

Seeing how I'm not gigging anymore, is it possible that COVID19 saved my life? 

Shakes Magic 8-Ball.....answer: Very Doubtful

Attached below is a screenshot of the email I received.  I love the wording.....take action to quickly to and easily reconcile this problem.  The wording looks as it was borrowed from a phishing scam email. Note the omission of anything regarding the battery capacity.  The Learn More takes you to the text PierM posted above. Anything Line 6 said about diminished batter capacity would have been after users flashed their devices, and, either, logged a ticket or vented about it here.  

image.thumb.png.b38d7bbd39964798b37dd4c3e9f6a18e.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ran the firmware update on the g10t relay and now it seems the charge doesn't last as long and now takes a lot longer to charge. I charge it in my spider v amp. I'm guessing this is a known issue. Any resolution to this line 6?

• 1 month later...

any news about this issue? My G10 base lights in white led and transmitter is always flashing a red light.  what can I do for replace my transmitter or refund my money. My G10 was great before this damned firmware update. I bought it on Amazon.

vlcsnap-2020-08-17-18h11m26s042.thumb.png.45957874bee9ccc3d8789142e4449d1d.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, steelerb07 said:

Im in the same boat I tried updating  snd now both my units are dead. I open a ticket 3 days ago and Line 6 responded back asking how old they were yesterday.  I have not heard back after that so waiting........

Very frustrating 

I just update my G10 and I got the same results. Base doesn't charge the transmitter anymore.

The lack of support of line6 is insulting. They first they asked me to leave the transmitter unplugged for one day to see if the problem were solved by itself (ridiculously).

Obviously the problem weren't solved by itself.

Next answer I got was this:

"Hi, thanks for the follow up and effort. I'm afraid there's not too much more I can offer to further troubleshoot. It might take trial and error, re-inserting the transmitter a few more times, or make sure that the tiny pin is fully pushing in properly"

So, other than wait a night to see if the unit came to life by miracle of god, there is nothing they can do to solve a problem  caused by their faulty update.

I just bought an helix rack a week ago, but I'm afraid I'd better to return it to the store. I simply could not wait a faraon to wake up, or a unicorn knock to my door to solve any problem in my helix if one shows up.

12 minutes ago, ArGoNiQ said:

I just update my G10 and I got the same results. Base doesn't charge the transmitter anymore.

The lack of support of line6 is insulting. They first they asked me to leave the transmitter unplugged for one day to see if the problem were solved by itself (ridiculously).

Obviously the problem weren't solved by itself.

Next answer I got was this:

"Hi, thanks for the follow up and effort. I'm afraid there's not too much more I can offer to further troubleshoot. It might take trial and error, re-inserting the transmitter a few more times, or make sure that the tiny pin is fully pushing in properly"

So, other than wait a night to see if the unit came to life by miracle of god, there is nothing they can do to solve a problem  caused by their faulty update.

I just bought an helix rack a week ago, but I'm afraid I'd better to return it to the store. I simply could not wait a faraon to wake up, or a unicorn knock to my door to solve any problem in my helix if one shows up.

Line 6 has excellent customer service, and has a great reputation in that area. If you look at the huge Helix Facebook group, you’ll see all sorts of success stories. If you’re on Facebook, I’d recommend reaching out to Frank Ritchotte, Line 6’s Sr. Director of Operations. He will help you out. He very occasionally posts on these forums, but he’s on Facebook a lot.

How old is your G10 transmitter? The update reduces the maximum charge of the transmitter by about 25%, so with older batteries near the cycle limit, it’s possible the charge can’t hold a sufficient charge any longer.

22 hours ago, phil_m said:

Line 6 has excellent customer service, and has a great reputation in that area. If you look at the huge Helix Facebook group, you’ll see all sorts of success stories. If you’re on Facebook, I’d recommend reaching out to Frank Ritchotte, Line 6’s Sr. Director of Operations. He will help you out. He very occasionally posts on these forums, but he’s on Facebook a lot.

How old is your G10 transmitter? The update reduces the maximum charge of the transmitter by about 25%, so with older batteries near the cycle limit, it’s possible the charge can’t hold a sufficient charge any longer.

Thank you for your comments.

My G10 is 6 month old, and used to work like charm during hours and hours. But I received a mail regarding issues detected and that I have to update the unit. I did it, and now its dead. 
And you can read the answer form the customer service.

And...Yeah... Nop. My experience was way different that those experiences in the forums and facebook groups. And is not the first time.

Some months ago I bought an amplifi75 on amazon. I received it, I plugged it in and it didn't work, I opened a ticked with more or less the same results. Nothing they can do.

I had the choice to return it to amazon and pay shipping costs almost the cost of the unit, or fix it at my expense. I chose the second. It was a faulty solder joint that I was lucky enough to detect and re solder by myself, of course avoiding the, any way non existing, warranty.

Maybe the customer service in the US is a different story,  but outside there, is non existent.

They look like great products, but I just decided to return my recently purchased helix rack, I simply cannot let me to have my third faulty Line 6 product in a row and having to throw it to the trash can if something goes wrong.

=(

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, blinkfredy said:

any news about this issue? My G10 base lights in white led and transmitter is always flashing a red light.  what can I do for replace my transmitter or refund my money. My G10 was great before this damned firmware update. I bought it on Amazon.

I'm getting the same.