Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp headphones issue

salexandersen

Anyone else experience something strange with headphones where you use a mini-jack-to-jack adapter to connect to the HX Stomp?

I am using headphones with a mini jack as on most headphones, and when i insert it fully into the adapter and then into the HX Stomp it doesn't sound right.

Or actually, it sounds okay but like some frequencies are cut. Sound is very dark. I need to pull the adapter almost out of the HX Stomp to get a clear sound which then also becomes much louder.

Could this be an adapter issue?

5 hours ago, salexandersen said:

Most likely. I don't have the problem with any of my 1/8-1/4 stereo adapters, but I've encountered this with RCA-1/4 mono adapters, and cheap Insert cables with cheap boards (Hosa-Behringer).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, salexandersen said:

Anyone else experience something strange with headphones where you use a mini-jack-to-jack adapter to connect to the HX Stomp?

I am using headphones with a mini jack as on most headphones, and when i insert it fully into the adapter and then into the HX Stomp it doesn't sound right.

Or actually, it sounds okay but like some frequencies are cut. Sound is very dark. I need to pull the adapter almost out of the HX Stomp to get a clear sound which then also becomes much louder.

Check to make sure your adapter and headphones are TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) only. If either the adapter or headphones have an extra ring for microphone output (very common on modern in-ear headphones for phone use), that can cause issues.

On that same note, make sure both your headphones and adapter are stereo plugs. Again, should have three metal sections, the tip, ring, and sleeve.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

Check to make sure your adapter and headphones are TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) only. If either the adapter or headphones have an extra ring for microphone output (very common on modern in-ear headphones for phone use), that can cause issues.

On that same note, make sure both your headphones and adapter are stereo plugs. Again, should have three metal sections, the tip, ring, and sleeve.

I think you were spot on here. Had to look up TRS - had no clue :-)

My headphones are Bose QuietComfort 15, the original, and it seems they are TRRS, if I understand the terms correctly. 

The adapter seems to be TRS, though.

I am looking to get a pair of beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro and assume they will include the correct adapter.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, salexandersen said:

I am looking to get a pair of beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro and assume they will include the correct adapter.

Just a heads-up, somebody here had the 80 ohm version of those recently and complained about poor sound quality out of the Helix (full size, not Stomp). I looked it up, and with the 12 ohm output impedance of the Helix, you ideally want headphones with an impedance of ~100ohm or greater.

*If* the Stomp has the same output impedance as the full size Helix, then the same would apply to it, meaning you’d probably be better off with the 250 ohm version of the DT-990s rather than the 80 ohm. I looked all over to try to find the output impedance of the HX Stomp headphone out, but it doesn’t look like Line 6 published it anywhere, unfortunately.

Also, people usually assume that higher impedance headphones will be quieter than lower impedance ones, but that is not always the case. A headphone output that has high impedance can actually be quieter with low-impedance headphones. I’ve seen several posts of people with the HX Stomp complaining they have to turn it all the way up with their 80 or 32 ohm headphones, and I suspect that might mean it has the same 12-ohm output impedance as the full size unit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Just a heads-up, somebody here had the 80 ohm version of those recently and complained about poor sound quality out of the Helix (full size, not Stomp). I looked it up, and with the 12 ohm output impedance of the Helix, you ideally want headphones with an impedance of ~100ohm or greater.

*If* the Stomp has the same output impedance as the full size Helix, then the same would apply to it, meaning you’d probably be better off with the 250 ohm version of the DT-990s rather than the 80 ohm. I looked all over to try to find the output impedance of the HX Stomp headphone out, but it doesn’t look like Line 6 published it anywhere, unfortunately.

Also, people usually assume that higher impedance headphones will be quieter than lower impedance ones, but that is not always the case. A headphone output that has high impedance can actually be quieter with low-impedance headphones. I’ve seen several posts of people with the HX Stomp complaining they have to turn it all the way up with their 80 or 32 ohm headphones, and I suspect that might mean it has the same 12-ohm output impedance as the full size unit.

That is incredibly helpful. I will definitely go for the 250 ohm variant then.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...