Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can a Helix preset force a tuning change on a JTV-69?

Lone_Poor_Boy

For example, can a footswitch button change the Variax from 'Standard' tuning say, 'Blues G'?

Oh, how I'd love to do Gimme Shelter, for example in open tuning and switch to Standard for the lead break, and then back.

-------------------------------------------

Also, what are your thoughts on the Variax JTV-69 Open Tunings?  I know I can make my own but I was wondering why they do not have an Open E or Open A out of the box? Are those less common than Open D and Open G (the two they include)?

Also, what's up with the one they call 'Open A'?

E A C# E A E

That's not like any 'A' I know.

I believe the Custom Tuning parameters in a Helix preset can be assigned to the snapshot controller. So, yes, you can do that. Use two snapshots; define one to be standard tuning and the other to be Blues G.

I have one preset that uses the Variax Mags In standard tuning and a Variax acoustic model tuned to capo 3rd fret. A quick tap on snapshot footswitches to go back and forth during the song. 

• Upvote 1

Yes. Like Silverhead says you can do this with snapshots.  I do this for several songs and it works great. You just have to remember to go back to standard. The default in the Variax section on the Helix is "don't force" tuning changes. I've started forcing my presets to standard so i can normalize tuning quickly.

I use the open tunings occasionally for dobro sounds. 

Yep, open A is usually E A E A C# E but the beauty of the variax is you can try whatever variation of tuning you like.

• Upvote 1

I did start digging in yesterday evening; 2 steps forward, 1.8 steps back. :)

For you vets that have been doing this, since I'm going to use very few of the default tunings on the JTV-69, do you think it would work as well to build the tunings on the JTV-69 and switch them with the tuning knob, or even set them up to switch with the 5-way switch, avoiding building them into the Helix presets at all?

I do think I WANT to build them on the Helix I'm just still daunted at getting under the hood, I guess.

Yes, you could do that. But imho it's both better and easier to do it in the Helix preset. Here's a step-by-step procedure. Let me know if/where you get confused. Let's do it all on the Helix device itself, not HX Edit. If you prefer using HX Edit I'm sure you'll be able to transpose. To keep it simple let's set it up starting with a New Preset. You can add an amp/cab if you wish just to make things sound more realistic but let's not get distracted by other tonal adjustments and FX.

Of course, your Variax needs to be connected to Helix via VDI - not the 1/4" output.

1) Select the Input block in a New Preset. Press the Page > button to view the Variax settings. Use knob 1 (Variax Settings) to select Per Preset. Use knob 6 (Preset Variax Tuning) to select Custom.

2) Press the Page > button again to view the individual string tuning offsets. The default, of course, is standard tuning with all string offsets set to 0. Use knobs 1 - 6 to do two things for each string you want to retune:

a) push and rotate the knob to assign the string tuning to the Snapshots controller. You will see brackets appear around the setting.

b) rotate the knob (don't push it) to select the desired tuning offset in semi-tones (frets).

3) After defining the desired offsets for any or all 6 strings in the given snapshot, SAVE the preset.

4) Press the Preset knob to view preset parameters. Use knob 5 to select a new snapshot. Press the Home button to return to the signal flow view.

5) Repeat steps 1 through 4 for all desired snapshots within the preset.

As a simple example, to create a snapshot with Drop D tuning you would only need to adjust the String 6 parameter. Assign it to the Snapshot controller in 6a and set the offset to -2 (D) in Step 2b.

In your case I think you only need two snapshots - one for standard tuning and one for Blues G (x-G-D-G-B-D). Note the 'x' tuning on the 6th string, meaning muted. If you really want to get the real  Keef style (in his own words: 5 strings, 3 fingers, and an a$$hole) you could go to the final page of the Variax settings and assign the String 6 volume level to zero in your Blues G snapshot using steps 2a and 2b above. 

To use the footswitches to select Snapshots use the Global Settings -> Footswitches displ;ay. Use knob 2 (Preset Mode Switches) to make sure Snap is included in the setting.

Note that you can also swap the Variax Model in different snapshots by adjusting the Preset Variax Model parameter.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, silverhead said:

1) But imho it's both better and easier to do it in the Helix preset.

2) Here's a step-by-step procedure.

3) If you really want to get the real  Keef style (in his own words: 5 strings, 3 fingers, and an a$$hole) you could go to the final page of the Variax settings and assign the String 6 volume level to zero in your Blues G snapshot using steps 2a and 2b above.

1) That's good enough for me. I will plunge in. I'd also rethought it and realized I'd rather keep the control changes in one place; the Helix.

2) Thank you so much. I will start applying this this afternoon.

3) HOLY CRAP! I never even thought of that. I'm good at muting after doing it so long but why not use this option.

I do prefer HX Edit but I will work though your instructions on both.

Thanks for the push. I'm experimenting now, thanks to your tips and I also see a lot of presets that came with the Helix have Variax settings built in. Went to 'Texas Flood'(one of the rare presets actually named without confusion) and it switched my JTV-69 to Spank-4 and dropped the tuning. Of course I was already in Eb.