Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to Helix. I got a sick stereo panned Rhythm tone, but how do I stick Wah or Delay etc. in the chain?

MesaSean

Hey everyone, new to the forum and the Helix so bare with me.  (I did some searching on the forum prior to making the post so I hope they approve it)

Just got the Helix LT and am LOVING it. Bought it to play at lower volumes at night, in my office and when I don't want to disturb my neighbors with my VH4 and Dual Rectifier. They are way too loud sometimes lol I cannot get over how good the tones are. I downloaded some ML Sound Labs IR's and they sound great.

Anyway, I found this video here from Richie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYKucHKA5g He shows you how to get a SICK stereo tone. I am running my Helix with both left and right 1/4 cables into a Lexicon Lambda (I know ancient lol but I had one new in box) and then into my iMac. I am using two Rokit 5 monitors. I downloaded his preset and it sounds insane. So stereo and thick. I just changed up the amps and impulses to my liking.

My question is this. How do I place a Wah block in the front and delay in the back so they affect the over tone of both channels? (See video or image)

Can someone explain how I can great a path or have a video explaining a way how I can keep that true stereo tone but have a wah or delay etc affect the overall tone? If I have to remove some of his EQ's or other blocks, no big deal as I did not find the EQ blocks made too much of a difference with my amp and impulse settings.

Thanks everyone in advance!

1839099240_ScreenShot2020-04-10at3_10_56AM.thumb.png.217a2f642e1f0294bbdd84db2a3bcc4b.png

You're using separate paths, so a single wah or delay won't do it. You'll need to put one in each path. If you're out of DSP (can't add the effect), you could drop some EQs as you mentioned, or, there's a list of which effects use how much DSP attached. Try swapping for different models of the effects you're using.

Or, you could go old school with a real wah in front of the Helix......

Helix DSP Values.xlsx

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

You're using separate paths, so a single wah or delay won't do it. You'll need to put one in each path. If you're out of DSP (can't add the effect), you could drop some EQs as you mentioned, or, there's a list of which effects use how much DSP attached. Try swapping for different models of the effects you're using.

Helix DSP Values.xlsx 32.83 kB · 0 downloads

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Helix DSP Values.xlsx 32.83 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks! Yeah I figure as much... to put two delays. One on each path. I was just wondering if there was a way I can delete some of the EQ's and then merge the path to one in and one out.. but that might defeat the purpose. I have a wah pedal I can put in outside the actual Helix I guess but that kind of defeats the purpose as I just simply wanted to use the expression on the Helix to take care of that.

I'll re watch the video above, but it did not really apply to my situation unless I missed a section.

Thanks and I'll update. 

Regarding the video: I was referring to the fact that you need not send your guitar input into both paths to get a stereo output. You can put your mono effects on the top path, then split the signal and send one signal down to the lower path.  Good luck!

Thanks J. How do I split the signal to control two paths? If I split it, it's still going to ignore the bottom path. Is there a way to make a split, then connect that split to the bottom path?  Thanks again for the help!

3 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Here's another way to do it. Pay attention to the panning on all of the splits/routing blocks.

True Stereo.hlx 14.33 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the preset.

When I tried it...and it works...just had to change that second clean amp. But it taught me the paths, so thank you.

Where would I stick this simple delay to really widen the spread? (Pic of the simple delay Mod/Echo Chorus with Richie's settings)

Thanks so much in advance for the help folks!

IMG_4991.jpg

Ok so now I am making some progress with that preset... BUT having an issue now.

So thanks you for the preset rd2rk. I got it working.

I out in Richie's little Mod/Echo delay trick before the second amp and it really widened the spread.

But now (see picture) I can't add certain blocks. They are greyed out for me. Is it because I ran out of DSP? I am trying to add an 808 to tighten things up and I'd love to put a Wah in the front. Can it be done or am I out of DSP? Does it tell you how much you have used? If so, where? Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 8.27.17 PM.png

When I was building this preset for you, I was using the XLR outs into Channels 1 and 2 of my Focusrite. I was shooting for max width and found that to get that I had to pan those Channels hard left and hard right. Additionally, the XLR Outs on the preset, the 2A/2B split and the Path 1A/1B output blocks are all panned hard left and hard right. Whichever split (2A or 2B) that you put any mono effect on, that effect  will then be panned hard left or hard right. If you want to use a Stereo effect and hear it both right and left, place it before the 2A/2B split, followed by a Stereo Width Block to place the effect where you want it in the stereo spread. Sample Preset attached.

True Stereo2.hlx

Thanks man, yeah I switched the XLR's to multi's and it opened up stereo for me.

Really appreciate you building that preset! Still working on it. 

Now all of a sudden it's letting me add and OD and Wah. I thought I ran out of DSP.

3 minutes ago, MesaSean said:

Now all of a sudden it's letting me add and OD and Wah. I thought I ran out of DSP.

Hard to know for sure from here, but sometimes if you swap this effect for that, even in the same category, it'll free up enough DSP to add something that was previously greyed out.

I got it all working thanks to you!

Here is a test clip. Just skip to the dirty part half way through. Tone is not that great  as I am still learning and fiddling with the ML Labs Ir's etc. I have much to learn about each amp, IR's, EQ's etc.

BTW...

Is there a preset to make a guitar sound like a real bass guitar? IIRC the old POD's had some sort of preset for that.

Thanks again! Loving my Helix!