Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone is different going through Helix vs. going straight to amp

Dyre

Hi guys

I'm currently setting up my Helix floor as a pedal board in front of my amp, going from Guitar -> Helix -> Fender Hot Rod Input (not fx loop).
I have set up my Hot Rod to break up just a little, and I have the tone I wan't going directly from Guitar -> Amp.

However, when I plug my guitar in the Helix and go from Guitar -> Helix -> Amp the tone change a little.
Some bottom and high end goes away, and the amp does not break up anymore. It's more clean but also a tiny bit muffled.

- I have made a preset with no blocks at all and it still does it.

- I have tried different cables, and it' still the same.

- I have made sure that all cables sounds great going directly to the amp.

But everytime I go through Helix, it looses a little ..

Am I missing something basic knowledge on this subject? Is there a setting I'm missing? Is this the way it is intented to work?
Any advice is most welcome !! :)

Br. Dyre

Make sure you have the input pad off in the Global Settings. If you keep the Helix outputs set to instrument level and turn the big volume knob all the way up, that will give you unity gain through the Helix in a blank preset.

• Like 1

Have you checked the position of the big volume knob?  If it's too low, it will definitely alter the sound, and cut off the low and high ends of the frequency spectrum.  As stated above, the maximum setting is unity gain.  I send my Helix into the low input of a Hot Rod Deville, and tend to set it around 4 o'clock or so myself, but I use a lot of EQ'ing in the Helix, so a slightly less than unity gain setting adjusts for the extra signal from those EQs.  Also, check to see what your global EQ settings are.

• Like 1

Guys you are amazing - thank you so much!

1) I changed 1,4'' from Line to Instrument, that helped
2) I turned Input Pad off, I think that helped too
3) I turned the big Volume knob to 15 o' clock which in my ears now gives me the exact same tone as when I go direct to the amp. (this was the main change that did the trick)
If I turn it up even more it gets more gain (it seems) and this is cool - so if I go from my Stratocaster to say my Kramer Pacer, i cant just turn it back from 15 o' clock a little if it's too hot

Saved my day, thanks again!

/Dyre

No problem.  Also, you'll be surprised how well the HR can work while using the amp modeling as well, as long as you have the HR setting to be clean as possible.  For that, you'd probably need to use the low input (so that the preamp isn't being overloaded), and keep the tone controls at 12 o'clock or below (adjust each to taste).  I leave the bright switch on.  You can also use the power amp in; however, if you do, first turn the Helix volume knob all the way down, as it will become your de-facto volume control for the amplifier.  Then turn it up until you're at a good volume level.  Also, using the power amp only darkens the tone greatly, so you'd probably need to adjust the global EQ to brighten it up.

• Like 1