Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Raw guitar sound overlapping "amp" sound

Kedhrin

Hello!

I have a helix and a powercab 112+

i am using a variax shuriken

I have a few impulse response (made for helix from ML Sound Lab)

my chain setup on helix is simple. Variax input w/noise gate - at about 45 -> distortion (note: tried multiple kinds with a few different settings to try to eliminate issue) -> impulse (tried 1024 & 2048, mono) -> digital out 

Physically - Variax -> Variax Cable -> Helix -> Link Cable -> Powercab+ 112

Powercab is set to FLAT (issue still occurs even with other cabs set)

everything sounds muddy, first off... like real low, all in the bass....

but then if i start hitting chords... all i can hear is a raw input sound, just playing on top of everything and completely stomping out the distortion and everything else... really confusing.

Hoping someone here has an idea what might be going on. If i play a single note... its muddy, like real muddy, almost as if someone is playing in the other room.... as soon as i fast strum power chords.... its like someone is mixing a raw input right on top of everything....

Please let me know if you can help!

Reading your post again, you don't seem to be using an amp block

noise gate >> distortion >>> amp >>> impulse >>> digital out

If that's missing then you're hearing a DI guitar through a distortion pedal and a modeled mic'd up speaker  - that'd sound pretty lollipop (IMHO)

Impulses are only the tonal shape and response of a mic'd speaker - not an amp

On 4/12/2020 at 3:11 AM, waymda said:

Reading your post again, you don't seem to be using an amp block

noise gate >> distortion >>> amp >>> impulse >>> digital out

If that's missing then you're hearing a DI guitar through a distortion pedal and a modeled mic'd up speaker  - that'd sound pretty lollipop (IMHO)

Impulses are only the tonal shape and response of a mic'd speaker - not an amp

Hey there, thanks for pointing this out. I guess i didn't really understand how to setup the IR then. guess there was another setting in the output setting for the powercab too i did not see - where there it was also set to flat instead of speaker (and i guess i can force an IR on the powercab too???) i think i should learn more about the power cab plus :) 

49 minutes ago, Kedhrin said:

Hey there, thanks for pointing this out. I guess i didn't really understand how to setup the IR then. guess there was another setting in the output setting for the powercab too i did not see - where there it was also set to flat instead of speaker (and i guess i can force an IR on the powercab too???) i think i should learn more about the power cab plus :) 

An IR never replaces an amp model, no matter what your're monitoring through. It replaces the cab block. As far as Powercab settings are concerned, if you're using an IR in the Helix signal chain (as opposed to loading them into the Powercab itself), then the "Flat" setting is exactly what you want.