Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ugh. I just want volume pedal to control volume.

Samdbl

Hx effects user. So I’m hooking my volume pedal into exp1 input. I have it placed where I want in the chain (after gain, before time based). I have the controller assigned to exp1 where ever I see it. But I can’t get it to control the volume. At one point I had it placing an effect block into a different path (?) and then I had it moving my gain block’s level up and down but there was still clean signal coming out. Then, of course at some point it started doing the wah thing. What am I missing? I want heel down/zero volume, heel up/full volume. It seems as though volume control is not the default of a volume pedal in a volume block, oddly.

36 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

Hx effects user. So I’m hooking my volume pedal into exp1 input. I have it placed where I want in the chain (after gain, before time based). I have the controller assigned to exp1 where ever I see it. But I can’t get it to control the volume. At one point I had it placing an effect block into a different path (?) and then I had it moving my gain block’s level up and down but there was still clean signal coming out. Then, of course at some point it started doing the wah thing. What am I missing? I want heel down/zero volume, heel up/full volume. It seems as though volume control is not the default of a volume pedal in a volume block, oddly.

Some pedals are designed to be used with specific devices. For instance, a General Motors pedal is designed to be used with gasoline and diesel engines, and select GM Electric vehicles. It won't work with your Helix. :-)

What make/model of expression pedal are you using?.

It’s an Ernie ball. It seems to integrate fine with the hx. But it seems like I have to do some really deep parameter editing to make it behave as a volume pedal. Whereas it seems like that’d be the default. Anyway, that’s fine if I have to deep edit. But I do need to know what to do.

11 hours ago, rd2rk said:

The Ernie Ball VP Jr is an analog Volume pedal. It goes in an effects loop wherever in the chain you want it. It DOES NOT work in the Exp jack.

Actually it does! I use the big brother of that pedal for mine.  However, you have to use the output jack of the pedal, not the input. Good luck!

1 hour ago, j_hotch said:

Actually it does! I use the big brother of that pedal for mine.  However, you have to use the output jack of the pedal, not the input. Good luck!

Doesn't mention that in the EB demo video or User manual.

Since OP can't get it to work, please explain to him how you make it work. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

Its a snap: plug a standard, mono 1/4" cable between the exp jack on the Helix and the output jack of the VP Jr. and Bob's your uncle.

OP was not clear, but I got the impression that's what he was doing.

OP?

Thanks. No I didn’t look closely enough and had the input and output both connected to the two different exp jacks, like an imbecile. I did get it to work in the effects loop very quickly. However, I think I’ll try hooking it up to the exp jack properly as that one less cable. Thank you, both.

I dont see a 'byapass' option in or near the control assign window. In any case. Its,operating completely weird. The volume decreases as it should while the pedal is being brought to the heel down position. However, right at the end when the pedal hits what should be the zero volume posotion (heel all the way down), it turns the block off which shuts the volume pedal off and let's 100% of the signal through. Im back to my original assessment that the default of a volume pedal being plugged in and chosen as a block should be a volume pedal without all of the parameter adjusting to make it so. Silly. These are the kinds of things that keep me returning to regular pedals, year after year. Anyway

Seting:

Contoller assign:

Position: parameter

Exp 1

Min value 0%

Max value 100%

In the screen for the volume pedal:

0% position

0ms wait

Off midi bypass

Exp1 switch

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong

There is no exp 3 option in the window. There are a bunch of fs options. But the pedal does nothing when set to any other option. When plugged in to pedal 1 on the unit, it seems to only respond to exp 1. However, as mentioned, it’s responding in a weird manner. Turns block off, sometimes volume decreases, sometimes it doesn’t do anything. I’m really starting to hate this option. Inserting a volume pedal should be much easier.

I don't have an HX Effects but here is my experience on the Helix LT:  I have my Ernie Ball volume pedal hooked up as Exp 2.  I added a mono volume pedal block to an empty patch.  Here is the configuration that is applied by default:

1856582443_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.4eb020691c7a73784edae65096c3f4b2.png

Note the "Bypass" parameter is applied to the Exp pedal toe switch.  That is the on-board volume pedal, and the toe switch will toggle the block on or off.  In your case, since you just want the external expression pedal to control the sweep, change Exp Pedal Toe to "none", like so:

1829300829_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.5b83e4cdc3deab1b3478d2df9ca19e56.png

With that configuration, the volume block will always be active, and the selected expression pedal will change the sweep.  I hope this helps!

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Samdbl said:

In global preferences, exp 1 pedal 1 and exp 2 pedal 2. Is there a way to access the bypass/sweep settings mentioned above without Having to go through the computer editing software?

In the manual, see page 33, "Controller Assign".

From that section:

NOTE: Adding a Wah or Pitch Wham block automatically assigns it to be controlled and bypassed by EXP 1. Adding a Volume Pedal or Pan block automatically assigns it to be controlled by EXP 2.

• Upvote 1

Again, the pedal is responding. I’m pretty sure I have it routed correctly. Somewhere, buried in the nether regions of this cursed machine is some stupid setting that is turning the block off in the heel down position. Extremely bizarre that it is decreasing the volume as it’s supposed to do before it hit the heel down position (seems like it would be either, or). But whatever. Why would this make sense?

so I’m still not seeing where I can choose between ‘bypass’ and ‘none’ as the poster suggests above. Even after reading controller assign section of manual. Is this indeed an option available only through the editing software? 
This is maddening, btw. Everything else seems relatively intuitive and easy to breeze through. I’m not having any hang ups with the machine except this.

Sambdl,

been reading the previous comments. I’m not sure what unit you have exactly, but, I’ve been reading a lot about the POD HD 500X which is the unit I want to buy. The manual states that EXP 2 has an external input to plug an extra pedal into rather than clicking the toe switch to toggle between them. I’m not sure if EXP 1 on your unit can do that or not.  The manual also says you can assign more than one parameter to the expression pedals. Maybe there’s something not being assigned correctly to The pedal to give you the volume control you need?

Please attach a copy of your preset.

I don't have HX FX, but nobody who does seems to want to take part here. If I have a copy of your preset I can open it in Native's compatibility mode. Who knows, maybe I'll see something. You're right, this IS baffling. According to the manual, you plug in the Exp pedal, set it to be an expression pedal in Global Settings, drop a Volume pedal into the signal path and VOILA! It works!

Just to be sure, I opened Native in HX FX compatibility mode with auto assign enabled, dropped a Volume pedal into the path, and it assigned it to Exp 2.

So attach a copy of your preset, let me check it to see if something else is wrong.

1 hour ago, Samdbl said:

30th time’s a charm. I did *another* factory reset, and started from a clean preset. Now the volume pedal works as it should. Thanks for the help, everyone. Especially rd2rk.

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• 1 year later...

SOLVED

Our expression pedal didn't work at all - a regular Line6 SP1-L6H pedal!

And then I found this video which showed a preference setting that chooses whether the input acts as a Footswitch (toggle only) or expression pedal (variable):

https://youtu.be/11EaZyiAAko?t=128

Now it works perfectly, using either mono or stereo 1/4" cable or the Y-cable, and the ControllerAssign > (Page>>) > Learn function sets it up as a controller on any parameter as expected.  That pref. setting had both set to "FS" (foot switch) by defualt - fixed that and the problems are solved (after 1 week!)

Edited by demisjohn
grammar