Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to run 2 amps and 2 impulses to blend them. When I try to add impulse 2, it is won't let me.

MesaSean

Hey folks, new Helix user here and loving it.

I am trying to run two amps and two cab impulses from Ownhammer (I bought the heavy hitter pack and really liking it. I also have the ML Sounds Labs Mega pack as well)

I am trying to run two amps and blend them. One is a Mark IV and the other is the Soldano lead. For some reason it won't let me add the second cab impulse. I add the two amps and one impulse no problem. When I go to add two separate cabs, everything is gray and it won't let me add anything. Please see the picture attached... I have had this happen a few times. I think I am setting the paths up correctly. Is there something I need to set at the splits?

Or do I have to blend the amps with ONE impulse some how?

I have no issues running ONE amp and two cab impulses (see other picture) but when I make the split for two amps, it won't let me do it.

Any advice?

Thanks so much in advance!

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.10.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.17.04 PM.png

As stated above, you're only using one of the two processors. Paths 1A and 1B are served by one processor, and Paths 2A and 2B are served by another. You could do this a few ways, the most straightforward would be to have the output of Path 1A go to Path 2A and the output of Path 1B go to Path 2B. Then you can merge those two paths together. You could put both amp blocks on Path 1A and 1B respectively and then put the two IRs in 2A and 2B respectively.

Thanks rd2rk.

I figured it out but now have a new issue.

So stupid me forgot that we you select and IR, there are two selections. IR 1024 and IR 2048. I don't know what either of those mean, but if you choose one, it only allows you to choose one IR to drop in.

Now my new issue is when I go to put an E or other things... it won't let me (see picture) Guess that is a DSP issue? Wow that top path runs out of DSP quick eh? or am I doing something wrong. I wanted a parametric E but it is blocked out. Only other E's are available.

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.38.41 PM.png

You have run out of DSP.

The Helix has two DSP, one for the top half and one for the bottom. On your screenshot it is like looking along from the ‘Multi’ circle and one from the ‘None’ circle.   The bottom path is empty so that DSP is not being leveraged. 

Many time this won’t get in the way but with two amps plus two IR and other blocks you have maxed one out. 

One idea is to move an amp and IR to the bottom path. The top path output will continue to read Multi.  it you will need to split off a line to feed the bottom path. It’s hard to explain how to do that as I am typing this.

1.  Insert a gain block before the lower IR

2. cut and past lower IR to the bottom path

3.  Disconnect the return point of that path from after the first IR and drag it to the right so it end parallel to Multi output

4. Click on the ‘None’ input block on the lower path and change to 2A

5. Add your second amp before the IR on the bottom half and finish it

There are a few ways to balance the volume but but clicking on the split block on that top line there is a slider controlling what percent goes to each path. 50/50 is even to both. 60-40 gives ten percent more to the top. 

Sorry this has turned out to be long but it’s hard for me to explain without the Helix in front of me. 

Thanks folks! Yeah I figure running the two paths would be best.

Let me ask this....say I run one amp and cab impulse on the top path and one on the bottom. How to I merge them so I can put a Wah/volume block or delay and the start/after that affects both amps/impulses?

As strange as this sounds, this whole thing is fun for me. I am having a blast learning this device and with the help of you all. I tried copying some settings from YouTubers or downloaded there patches and they never sound like "me". Meaning the tone I hear in my head lol That is why I love tweaking everything so much.

I wish Line 6 would do a Diezel VH4 amp head. I have the VH4 plugin, but would love to have it in my Helix. The plugin the made sounds so close to my real VH4, but with much better cleans. The clean on my real VH4 IMO is not what I dig.

Here you go, here's an example for the routing. Note I didn't try to make this sound good, I just added default blocks to show you an example of how you could do it and how you'd route it. Make sure to pay attention to the panning when you split the signal and when you merge it -- that's important to get things blended optimally. Also if you want it to remain stereo after merging, make sure every block after the merge is also stereo.

Oh, also, the two different IR options are how many samples it uses for the IR. Basically one is twice as 'precise' as the other, and uses more DSP because of it. I recommend trying each option for your tone, and if you can't hear any difference, use the one that uses less DSP (unless you've got plenty to spare!)

Nothing strange about enjoying learning -- that's how you get the most out of your tools! Good luck!

example.hlx

Is the first IR 2048? If so, you wouldn't be able to add a second IR on that path, even if you had the DSP.

Check out 8 TEMPLATES > Parallel Spans. It's a template where the amps are on paths 1A and 1B and the cabs (which you can swap out with IRs) are on paths 2A and 2B.