Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar Effects Are Not Stereo

rectoverb

I know what your saying..   but what I'm experiencing with Amplifi is that the guitar amp part of this product is currently only using the 12" speaker..   I have the iOS app running ( great!)  and just selecting a fender twin amp and a ping pong delay which is the most obvious stereo effect I could think of.   Nothing else is active.    The amp is not just using anything but the 12" speaker.  No stereo effect at all or use of the other stereo speakers … which is very, very disappointing.

The advertisement indicates that  the "...effects sound great in stereo" but that is not what is currently occurring ..  So, I'm writing in hopes that someone else with this product can confirm they are experiencing the same thing…   I'm hoping this may be a case where a firmware update is coming to resolve this..    or is this product just mono  using it as a guitar amp.    

Yes.      

Amp model --->  Ping Pong Delay.      

Nothing active in front of the amp model…. nothing in-between…. and nothing after the Ping Pong Delay.    

the Bluetooth Speaker part is really, really good and is worth the price alone in my opinion.   But what made me want this was the opportunity to have a stereo amp and all the options through the iOS app which is also really, really good. 

The amp tones are nothing we haven't heard before in other products but the speaker and amp cabinet in Amplifi is good at providing thickness and depth in my opinion… its a good product.

Hopefully someone who has this product will respond with their experience with the stereo effects.. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree on the 75. However, when I took it back and got a 150, I now hear separation between channels. If a guy was anal enough, he could probably mic it pretty good for stereo. One between the left mid and tweeter, and one between the right. One on the 12", if needed. I have no idea how well they would pick up the 12 from about an inch or two outside the spkr, or if you would mic it separate. Not that I would ever do, or even need to do this, I believe it is possible.

• 1 month later...

If you have reverb as the last effect in the chain (as a lot of tones do), you will lose stereo separation.

The truth is, though, even with stereo effects, it is kind of hard to notice a huge stereo field. It's still a single cabinet. It's more noticeable through the headphones.

I published a tone called STEREO TEST. This works fine with headphones, clear panning of the delay/echo signals. With the amp's speakers it's clearly mono, no mistake, no "subtle" stereo that i can't pick up, it's mono. Period.

Please let me know if anyone else has this issue!

I have firmware version 1.00.5 on an Amplifi 150 bought in Norway yesterday

PN: 59-00-0160

Serial no SN: (21)TMA2L6401004941

• 5 months later...

My 75 seems to be in stereo to my ears but the speakers are so close together it is hard to notice. I believe the dry signal from guitar goes thru the middle speaker and the stereo effects are thru the left and right pairs of speakers. Also it sounds very good with head phones and the separation is noticeable. If you have the equipment, use the phone jack to hook up in stereo to a PA system and see how that sounds. That's my 2 cents worth.

My 75 definitely is in stereo for both blu tooth and off of my HD 500x as I can definitely tell the pan I use in some of my dual amp setups because I specifically tested fort his in the store prior to purchase.  BUT this is going through the 1/8 jack in the back.  I can't make any claims about the stereo emulation of the effect amps etc from the Amplifi internally.

I agree with all of you saying it's stereo when using bluetooth playback or going through the aux in the back with a Pod or whatever. Headphones; yes, it's clearly stereo, and also if you send it through a PA. 

However, all of that kind of defeats the whole point of this amp, doesn't it? It's supposed to give you a nice stereo feel when playing directly through the amp! I have found that I CAN detect the stereo, but there is clearly some of the delay signal coming through the main speaker, which is in conflict with the marketing. Anyway, although it's a pretty good sounding amp and fun to play with, I'd say it's not living up to the hype. My opinion :)

I used a Peavey Stereo Chorus back in 1990 or something. Now THAT was stereo! To 12" speakers, and the chorus and delay was totally dancing around in the room. Haven't been able to find it again :(

(Also, I am getting increasingly annoyed with the absence of controls when NOT using iPad etc. but that's another topic)

• 9 months later...

I have been having the same issue with my new AMPLIFI 150 -when using the internal FX controlled by AMPLIFI remote app there is not the slightest stereo spread - only the 12" speaker sounding. (Similar test: amp---> ping pong delay set wide). There is not the slightest sound from the side speakers. However if I plug an external FX pedal into the line-in on the back with ping pong delay or stereo chorus then I hear a great stereo sound from the AMPLFI (ALL speakers now sounding). The stereo sound is quite obvious. Same if I play an mp3 - clearly stereo. 

At this page link http://line6.com/amplifi/amp/ at the bottom of the page there is an info window ( HOW DOES WET/DRY AMPLIFICATION WORK?about the stereo guitar sounds so the AMPLIFI is clearly intended to be stereo. Stereo sound was a large part of my decision to buy the AMPLIFI. can this situation be remedied my a firmware update?

(Anyone know what the white lines that appear when dragging FX modules to another position in the Remote app editor?)