Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power cab direct out vs Helix direct out

TristanPaxton

Hey guys,

I've been playing the helix for a couple years now and I'm considering getting the power cab. Everyone seems to agree it's a more enjoyable/inspiring experience than the floor board alone. 

I'm curious if the sound that you send to FOH is also better. I know it's got the same mic emulation as the Cab Blocks in the helix. Does it sound any different or better?

Thanks!

Powercab output has three variations:

FRFR mode: the direct output is the same as the input, and you will need to use a cab model or IR in Helix for the direct output to go directly to FOH.

IR mode: the direct output also includes the IR processing in Powercab, so this can go to direct FOH with no further processing. No cab model or IR is needed in Helix in this case.

Speaker mode: In this case Powercab is applying additional processing on the input to make the speaker without the tweeter sound like other guitar speakers. We don't know the details of how this is done, but it's likely just tone matching EQ curves. In this case you don't have any cab models or IR block in Helix, and no IR in Powercab, so the direct output needs additional processing to go directly to FOH. Again, we don't know exactly what this processing is, but a good guess is that Powercab is applying an IR and mic model that corresponds to the speaker model to the direct output, essentially the same thing as using a cab model in Helix. In any case, its ready to go to FOH, and sounds fine. This is the configuration I use for live playing unless we are ampless, then I use an IR in Helix.

Powercab seems to be very well done in many ways. Its flexible enough to be used as a keyboard amp, a powered PA for signer/song writer solo gigs, an amp in the room guitar cabinet and FRFR for other cab models and IRs. And its extremely well built, is easy to use and integrates perfectly with Helix. 

I haven't done back-to-back listening comparisons but I would think that the PC+ direct out would be exactly the same as the Helix direct out... the only "improvement" would be that by outsourcing cabinet modeling to the PC+, you free up an additional block for use on the Helix.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 6:57 AM, chasingMango said:

I haven't done back-to-back listening comparisons but I would think that the PC+ direct out would be exactly the same as the Helix direct out... the only "improvement" would be that by outsourcing cabinet modeling to the PC+, you free up an additional block for use on the Helix.

It depends on the PC+ mode.  If it's FRFR or IR, it's just spitting out what it receives.  If it's Speaker Mode, I'm it's applying a speaker model to the speakers, and an ADDITIONAL mic model to the XLR outs.  You can even choose the mic model and the distance.  I haven't tried these out, but if they're good sounding you could open up some DSP on Helix by not using cabinet modeling at all.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4107835d2fac0e63b03/application/pdf/Powercab Manual - English .pdf

Page 13.

List of mic models:

• 57 Dyn
  • 409 Dyn
  • 421 Dyn
  • 30 Dyn
  • 20 Dyn
  • 121 Ribbon
  • 160 Ribbon
  • 4038 Ribbon
  • 414 Cond
  • 84 Cond