Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume increase when using second signal path

isaactautari

Hi all,

I've noticed when i configure my helix signal path to use the additional path 2A i find there is a volume increase.

I've also noticed when assigning an amp block to the second signal path it increases the volume and frequency as opposed to having it assigned to the first signal path. When assigning an amp block and cab to the first signal path i would have to add about 1db to the end of it and have noticed the frequency is darker as opposed to assigning an amp block and cab to the second signal path. 

Can anyone explain what is going on here, is there a reason behind this method of madness?

On 4/17/2020 at 12:41 AM, jbuhajla said:

Does it do this on a fresh (empty) preset that you have never modified?

No it doesn't, 

The only time i get a volume increase is when i add a second signal path, almost like a volume boost has been added. I also noticed when i have eq blocks on the second signal path and the amp/cab block on the first signal path there is a noticeable difference in tone as opposed to placing them both into the same signal path. 

Im actually sending the signal from path 1 into path 2A. 

You don't also have something assigned to the 2A input, right? In other words, your 2A input should only show a little arrow above it, indicating it has path 1 routed to it. It should say 'None' underneath.

If you upload a preset here where you're having this issue, I can take a look. It shouldn't be doing what you describe.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

You don't also have something assigned to the 2A input, right? In other words, your 2A input should only show a little arrow above it, indicating it has path 1 routed to it. It should say 'None' underneath.

If you upload a preset here where you're having this issue, I can take a look. It shouldn't be doing what you describe.

I dont believe so?

Ok so,

The reason i have both amp and cab on both signal paths was to A/B test the difference in tone and volume.

All amp/cab setups are the exact same there are no differences in volumes or anything of that matter. All Signal paths are mono center panned and volume levels are 0db.

I noticed with the amp and cab enabled in the second signal path "amp/cab 1st path disabled", the tone sounded almost the same as running the setup through a single signal path with the amp/cab setup. 

The only problem with that is i cant fit all the effects blocks into the same signal path due to DSP, which therefore having to use two signal paths and facing this volume boost issue. 

When i run the amp/cab setup in the first signal path "amp/cab 2nd path disabled" as referenced in the picture, i noticed there is a dramatic difference in tone. 

It sounds almost boxy and blanketed.

So i noticed volume boost when i enabled signal path 2A. I believe there are two separate issues going on here or maybe they're related to the same problem " more than likely user related issue" 

I ran a loudness meter to check the difference in volumes with one signal path as opposed to two. Its somewhere near 6.4db difference, what i did was increased the first signal path output to +6.4db and decreased the second signal path output to -6.4db. The first signal path is at unity and the second is boosted by 6.4db, so to counteract this i did the above. This appeared to sort of fix the issue??

It would be nice to get some clarity on whats happening here and if im actually doing things the right way from the get go.

Screenshot (1).png

@isaactautari .....

I don't have my Helix in front of me but your input on Path B looks like there may be an issue. 

Not only is there an arrow indicating the signal is coming from Path A, but there is also a "guitar" indicating the guitar input is also being used. Not only is the guitar input being processed by path A on route to path B, it also going directly to Path B. IMO.... that creates a tricky parallel/series path, where what you really want is just a series path. 

Check the INPUT to Path B.... I'm pretty sure it should not have anything other than the Arrow. 

(disclaimer: As stated, I don't have my Helix in front of me.... I could be wrong. I'm just pretty sure that guitar  should not be present on the input of path B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

Check the INPUT to Path B.... I'm pretty sure it should not have anything other than the Arrow. 

Yep, this is the cause: you are doubling the Path A signal with the dry guitar signal, which is also coming in via that Path B input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, j_hotch said:

Yep, this is the cause: you are doubling the Path A signal with the dry guitar signal, which is also coming in via that Path B input.

Yep! This was my suspicion when I asked him what that icon showed. He needs to select that input for path 2A and change it to 'none'.

• Thanks 1

Oh wow honestly that explains alot,

I was having problems with dry signal as well : ) i thought it was weird when the distortion block was engaged and volume was decreased the dry signal would be heard as an overtone.... 

So much thanks to you all. Appreciate it 

• Like 2