Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using studio monitors with HX Stomp and PC

jakmar

Hey guys,

so I have decided that I would like to use my Stomp with studio monitors. I've landed on pretty expensive ones so I have some saving up to do. I've been going through the necessary equipment and I've read that it is a bad idea to plug in two audio sources to the monitors at the same time (PC and HX Stomp). So I found two possible solutions buy a mixer (even the cheapest are pretty expensive and still look very cheap) or use the HX Stomp. I've also read that mixers can negatively affect the audio. HX Stomp seems like a good solution but I'm not sure. Isn't the Stomp going to break sooner if I use it for audio from my PC (around 10 hours a day) and leave it plugged in? It gets pretty warm (but actually doesn't get any hotter) so I don't know about long term use. I've read in the manual that it is not advisable to leave the power supply plugged in when not using it but I'm not sure if it is some "lawsuit protection" or actual advice.

Do any of you use Helix as an audio source (PC and Helix) for their studio monitors?

Thanks for answers!

I've had good luck with cheap mixers from Mackie, Soundcraft, and Behringer. None have negatively impacted the audio, and they give a lot of routing and monitoring flexibility for under $100. Makes life a lot easier if you ever want to podcast as well. 

Yeah I guess the post I read was talking about the mic preamps and their sound quality? Do you think it is a good idea to buy something around 35€ like Behringer Xenyx 502 or the t.mix mix 502 or it has a Mackie mix5 variant (it seems to be a widely used main board using the same placement for ins/outs and knobs)? I don't really care for the mic performance...

No, it won't damage the Stomp to leave it on. 

When stuff heats up, it expands. When it cools down, it contracts. This cycle is the primary cause of "wear and tear" in electronics.

I use a Xenyx502 with my stomp, works fine. I use it because I had it lying around when I bought the Stomp.

It sounds fine, but when it inevitably fails (Behringer EARNED it's reputation AND my personal experience), I'll replace it with one of the small Yamaha mixers.

MUCH higher quality, both hardware and electronics.

just plug the monitors into your stomp and computer to stomp via usb.

its a sound card in itself, guitar can plug in as normal and I can put other signals into the return/aux in and call them up to monitors per preset