Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Meambobbo Amp Guide

innovine

I notice that the meambobbo guide only covers some of the amp models. Are there any plans to add these at some time?

I understand the author is more into hard rock and metal tones, so perhaps contributions from players of other styles would help complete the guide?

Nah, meambobbo is a pure metal player, the guide made to achieve a high gain tone, that is the most difficult tone to achieve.

Plus he jump to kemper (as far as I remember), and he was disappointed from the requests he made and never happened here...a

So we will not see him soon...

But I would like to contribute to a blues tone guide :D

• Upvote 2

Nah, meambobbo is a pure metal player, the guide made to achieve a high gain tone, that is the most difficult tone to achieve.

Plus he jump to kemper (as far as I remember), and he was disappointed from the requests he made and never happened here...a

So we will not see him soon...

But I would like to contribute to a blues tone guide :D

Contribute to, or write from scratch? ;)  Actually you could just link to meambobbo's site for a lot of the basics and then just "contribute" how to use that knowledge to mold other tones...

• Upvote 1

An hard rock guide would be nice. I could probably do one some day. The only "problem" with that is it would be a collection of artist tones (how to) instead of being a "guide"...

Nevermind, it would be awesome to make an artist guide for rockers, much easier to find the tones we like with minor adjustments.

perhaps you've a few tips on how you dial in your tone, and what cabs and pedals work well with those?

Dialling in a tone is just like you would for a Metal tone, read Meambobbo's guide then use your ears and test multiple scenarios.

I plug into a 'power amp in' socket on the back of a practice amp, if I follow convention, I should select Amp, not Line (switch beside the pedal) however it sounds much better if I select 'Line'.

Also going by theory, I should select the output to 'Combo Power Amp' but it sounds better when I select Studio/Direct.

Go with what sounds good to you, Full Amp vs. Pre-amp, cab/mic selection, cab deep parameters or No Cab. The settings are likely to sound different with each individual amp you try it on.

There are no rules, it will depend on what guitar you use and what gear you plug into.  

You're unlikely to experience the same tone unless have the same gear and set it to the same specs.  If you did by chance hear the tone in the same way, you may still not like it.  I find the Customtone patches all need some tweaking to suit my taste and that's likely because my gear is different.

s

I can use my ears, but there sure is a lot of combinations of gear to work through. As I haven't really used the Divide or Gobtone amps, for example, I'd really appreciate tips from people who use them reguarly about what kinds of cab and mic they think work well, as well as what pedals work well and what ones don't, etc. Gives me a good starting point, and from there, I can tweak the tone to my liking. That's the point of a guide. It's not a tone howto, it's tips from those who've already experimented a lot, to save some of us that effort.

• Upvote 1

As I haven't really used the Divide or Gibtone amps, for example, I'd really appreciate tips from people who use them reguarly about what kinds of cab and mic they think work well, as well as what pedals work well and what ones don't, etc. 

You can download some patches from Customtone.

In Customtone, double click on Amp and it sorts them in descending order, double click amp again and it sorts them in ascending order. Download some patches of the amp you want, if you hit ‘expand view’ the ratings will show up or you can select the popular ones with the most downloads – be wary, fanbois of certain bands will d/l those tones so if they haven’t been rated the d/l numbers could be a popularity contest.

Nailing another guitarists tone is tricky however if you want to create a tone that sounds good to yourself (which I highly recommend) start with a blank template, configure inputs and outputs, line vs. amp switch, studio/direct vs. combo front, stack power amp, etc.  till you get a good clean tone you like.

Then scroll through each amp till you find one you like, dial in the tones you like using drive, bass, mid, knobs etc.  When you have one you like then try out each cab and then each mic. This is the best starting point.

Then go to FX pedals, pretty much how Meambobbo explains it here:

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#quickStart

Be sure to A/B your tones. In other words if one mic. or amp sounds good but you’re not sure whether another is better or not, save the patches side by side on the board with only a change in mic. or amp respectively.  Play to your style, flick to the other patch, then repeat what you played with the other mic. cab, etc. setting you saved.  With mic. for example it can be hard to hear much difference but one may leave you with a better feeling about it, if that makes sense.

I find some amps sound similar but A/B'ing and playing along with some of my songs helps me choose which I prefer.

Enjoy.

s