Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX Firmware 2.90 | Helix Native 1.90

Digital_Igloo

1 hour ago, brushcl said:

The 2.9 update package installs 2.82 every time. Very confusing. Mac OS. I find this process maddening.

I’m not sure why this happens with Macs sometimes, but I think the solution is to delete the 2.82 installation package prior to downloading the 2.9 one.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, bluetinmusic said:

I'm having problems updating my HX Stomp. HX Edit gives me the error message seen here...

image.thumb.png.c909bdf8f64dd22cf62333f4f49ba593.png

There is no next button, and disconnecting/reconnecting the usb cable only interrupts HX Edit which won't resume. Hitting update makes HX Edit think it successfully updated my Stomp firmware, but absolutely nothing happens on the Stomp itself, and it stays on firmware 2.82. Any ideas?

On 4/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, bluetinmusic said:

I'm having problems updating my HX Stomp. HX Edit gives me the error message seen here...

image.thumb.png.c909bdf8f64dd22cf62333f4f49ba593.png

There is no next button, and disconnecting/reconnecting the usb cable only interrupts HX Edit which won't resume. Hitting update makes HX Edit think it successfully updated my Stomp firmware, but absolutely nothing happens on the Stomp itself, and it stays on firmware 2.82. Any ideas?

Same here on the hx effects...

11 hours ago, brushcl said:

The 2.9 update package installs 2.82 every time. Very confusing. Mac OS. I find this process maddening.

When you download the 2.9 update .dmg please ensure that you have removed (just drag it into the trash) any earlier versions of HX Edit from your Mac. It could be that when you run the update installer you are actually linking back to the 2.82 version via an “alias” on your Mac. This can sometime happen if you have moved the software to somewhere else on you drive other than the regular installation area, which is usually a folder named “Line 6” inside your Applications folder.

Once you have HX Edit 2.9 up and running hook up your Helix/HX unit and let HX Edit perform a backup and then the firmware update, it should be quick and painless.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

21 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

In a nutshell: No, I don't expect free beer. But in case someone comes up with it, it should rather not be stale.

Completely understand your point of view. I guess I have seen this with every Kemper update and also iPhones. It always looks worse on a forum, because you rarely hear from the success stories. I only update if there is something I really want and this was not the case with 2.9.

I hope you get any issues sorted out soon.

4 minutes ago, karlic said:

I hope you get any issues sorted out soon.

Maybe you slept through this, but all the issues are now fixed in the 2.91 hot fix update which was released yesterday.

Furthermore, as I previously pointed out to “SaschaFranck”in his post about free beer tasting stale, he doesn’t have to drink it, but there is no need throw it back in someone’s face - simply walk away.

He seems to be a very happy bunny now and has thanked Line 6 staff (In another thread) for getting the fix done so quickly.

I hope that makes sense.

Friends, 
I have been using my line6 hx stomp for quite some time and i can say that I love this unit. 
But recently i have been facing this issue that after the 2.9 firmware update, my unit sometimes doesn't send and any audio out through the phones.

Moreover, the main volume knob doesn't seem to be working at times, i press on buttons they don't work and this is very annoying.

I think it should be mentioned when you update - your global settings go back to factory settings - at least they did for me. (With the exception of the global EQ - that remained).

Obviously you can "create backup", before updating, and save all your stuff externally to avoid catastrophe, but its worth noting if you have adjusted things in the Global Settings before updating, they get changed back to factory settings after you update and install.

Example:

1. "Discard" mode for snapshots went back to "Recall"

2. 10 switches for stomp box mode went back to 8.

3. "Global" preference for EXP pedal 2 went back to "Per Preset"

4. Turning off the flashing light on tap tempo - that came back on

Plus various other minor settings. Not a huge issue though. But, I did have a temporary heart attack thinking all my precious setlist settings had got screwed up!

I have just downloaded and installed 2.9 on my Helix Floor unit and I can report my Helix Floor is now completely frozen - all buttons are inoperable, and I am unable to connect to HX Edit.

This occurred about 20 minutes after updating the firmware. All seemed great at first, and then bang, frozen.

As anyone else had this issue at all, with 2.9, or in general, and can anyone give any advice.

Thanks,

Matt

15 minutes ago, mdr89 said:

I have just downloaded and installed 2.9 on my Helix Floor unit and I can report my Helix Floor is now completely frozen - all buttons are inoperable, and I am unable to connect to HX Edit.

This occurred about 20 minutes after updating the firmware. All seemed great at first, and then bang, frozen.

As anyone else had this issue at all, with 2.9, or in general, and can anyone give any advice.

Thanks,

Matt

You could run through the Factory reset procedures:

Here we go again:-

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Then run the hot fix 2.91 update:

15 minutes ago, datacommando said:

You could run through the Factory reset procedures:

Here we go again:-

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Then run the hot fix 2.91 update:

Yep. thats worked!

Unit is now unfrozen, with factory reset...fingers crossed now re-uploading my set list.

Thanks for this Data Commando.

Matt

• Thanks 1

I just want to confirm I'm understanding correctly that after the update is completed, and the presets are rebuilt, you need to then restore from backup and rebuild again? I'm noting that the instructions for 2.91 include this step but 2.90 did not.

1 hour ago, TheHYPO said:

I just want to confirm I'm understanding correctly that after the update is completed, and the presets are rebuilt, you need to then restore from backup and rebuild again? I'm noting that the instructions for 2.91 include this step but 2.90 did not.

That's how I read it and that's what I did. Nope, 2.90 notes did not require that step.

There are definitely some features I’m excited about in this update. I’m working in a remote location for another 2-weeks, but look forward to checking it out when I get home. I rarely install any software update of any kind without waiting a few weeks, so good timing for me. Thanks Line 6!

1 hour ago, shanecgriffo said:

frozen at rebuilding preset 521

even after multiple restarts!

version 2.91.0

where to now??

Have you tried any of the many factory reset options which are listed in one of my posts higher up in this thread.

Firstly, I would try the “Update existing presets to latest format” FS 10&11 or even “Safe Boot Model  FS 6&12.

Nothing to lose - unless you want to use your Helix as a paperweight.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, ghusson said:

Hi,

After 2.9 update volume knob seems to be stuck at whatever level it is set when booting. After a few reboots sometimes the volume knob works for a short time then the whole unit freezes.

I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to solve it?

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

and fwiw, this thread should be closed...

Hmm... and the reason why, please?

Oh, yeah, I left my Helix floor running for about six or seven hours today and never encountered any of the issues that you had reported regarding the new compressor and output meters failing after several hours.

Sorry, once more, like the tap tempo thing,  I have to state that mine is working perfectly - as expected.

Stay safe.

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Hmm... and the reason why, please?

Because people may miss 2.91 is the actual FW version (and it pretty much seems like).

Oh, yeah, I left my Helix floor running for about six or seven hours today and never encountered any of the issues that you had reported regarding the new compressor and output meters failing after several hours.

Well, it seems to be a random thing.

The tap tempo bug wasn't.

33 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Because people may miss 2.91 is the actual FW version (and it pretty much seems like).

O.K. As the thread was started by Digital Igloo maybe he could change the name of the thread to include 2.91.

Oops! He has already started another thread named : Helix/HX 2.91 Hotfix Update. Easy enough to find.

33 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, it seems to be a random thing.

The tap tempo bug wasn't.

You could well be correct about the meter thing being a random event and the tap tempo thing didn’t seem to be an issue for many and it was fixed very quickly.

15 hours ago, datacommando said:

Have you tried any of the many factory reset options which are listed in one of my posts higher up in this thread.

Firstly, I would try the “Update existing presets to latest format” FS 10&11 or even “Safe Boot Model  FS 6&12.

Nothing to lose - unless you want to use your Helix as a paperweight.

Thankyou datacommando
I managed to finally get things going again with a restore to factory presets restart and then reloaded my set lists minus the one with the corrupt preset (I’ll try sort that out later..)

Turned on my helix again this morn and it wanted to rebuild all the presets again! Hoping it won’t be doing that every time I turn it on (sweating)

39 minutes ago, datacommando said:

O.K. As the thread was started by Digital Igloo maybe he could change the name of the thread to include 2.91.

Oops! He has already started another thread named : Helix/HX 2.91 Hotfix Update. Easy enough to find.

Yeah, and each time someone posts in this very thread here, it's going to look more prominent. But well, it was just an observation, nothing more, nothing less.

You could well be correct about the meter thing being a random event and the tap tempo thing didn’t seem to be an issue for many and it was fixed very quickly.

Everybody I asked to really check the tap tempo thing had to admit it wasn't working correctly. Well, of course, you didn't - but apparently you also didn't feel like having to check carefully.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

Turned on my helix again this morn and it wanted to rebuild all the presets again! Hoping it won’t be doing that every time I turn it on (sweating)

It won't. The rebuilding of the presets occurs the first time you reboot only and is normal behavior. There has been some behavior in past firmware versions where importing new presets or copying and pasting them would cause only those presets to be rebuilt on the next restart. Don't know yet if you will see this in the 2.91 firmware.

8 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

Thankyou datacommando
I managed to finally get things going again with a restore to factory presets restart and then reloaded my set lists minus the one with the corrupt preset (I’ll try sort that out later..)

Hi,

To confirm what “HonestOpinion” says in his post above, the rebuild routine occurs as part of the update process and shouldn’t be a cause for concern. Also, it has been noticed that should you load preset that may have been download from CustomTone, or possibly older ones that you made prior to the new Firmware, the “rebuilding preset” procedure will happen again. This is simply to ensure that all your presets are optimised to the latest operating system in all the HX products. If the rebuild routine persists on every boot up, it may indicate the presence of one or more “corrupted” presets. I’m not sure how presets become corrupted, as it is something I have never experienced with any of mine, I can only suggest that something got garbled during a save process.

Good luck - and now your have updated there is no need to venture outside - stay safe.

8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Yeah, and each time someone posts in this very thread here, it's going to look more prominent.

The solution is simple - you should stop posting to this thread because every time you do it gets bumped to the top once more.

Also, if this thread had been locked, I would not have been able to respond to a fellow user who had a genuine problem with the update.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:17 PM, ghusson said:

Hi,

After 2.9 update volume knob seems to be stuck at whatever level it is set when booting. After a few reboots sometimes the volume knob works for a short time then the whole unit freezes.

I have had a similar problem, the volume knob became unresponsive, although the unit did not freeze. It was set to such a low volume, that at first I thought there was another issue.  The new meters in the output block were reading the signal though.  I rebooted, the volume worked long enough for me to turn it up a little, to the point where it was audible. Then it happened again - stuck at that particular volume. Another reboot, and now seems ok....time will tell if all is alright

Installed Helix Edit 2.90, Helix 2.91 Firmware and Helix Native 1.90 (Win 10 64b).

All installs and the backup restore went smoothly.   No other issues immediately observed.

Thanks Line 6 for a quick hot fix (2.91) and even more for continuing to evolve and improve the Helix!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, big_al_mackenzie said:

I have had a similar problem, the volume knob became unresponsive, although the unit did not freeze. It was set to such a low volume, that at first I thought there was another issue.  The new meters in the output block were reading the signal though.  I rebooted, the volume worked long enough for me to turn it up a little, to the point where it was audible. Then it happened again - stuck at that particular volume. Another reboot, and now seems ok....time will tell if all is alright

Firmware 2.91 should fix that volume issue. Launch HX Edit 2.9 with your hardware connected and it should detect the update as being available and ask if you want to install. Make sure that you have made a backup of all your stuff, then when you have successfully updated to 2.91. reload your backup files to your unit.

I would advise that you read these release notes first, for your own benefit:

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, p8guitar said:

Are there new factory presets that show the new amps, effects etc.?  I don't see any added presets, but I don't know the factory presets by heart of course.

If you want to know, simply make backup of your stuff and then restore the factory presets and check them out.Then go back to your own.

As Digital Igloo is known to say - “All presets suck!”

Stay safe.

18 hours ago, datacommando said:

If you want to know, simply make backup of your stuff and then restore the factory presets and check them out.Then go back to your own.

As Digital Igloo is known to say - “All presets suck!”

Stay safe.

This doesn't answer my question, but nevertheless thank you for sharing your philosophy about presets.

I restored the factory packs and now I'd like to know if there are any new factory presets that show the new amps and effects.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, p8guitar said:

This doesn't answer my question, but nevertheless thank you for sharing your philosophy about presets.

I restored the factory packs and now I'd like to know if there are any new factory presets that show the new amps and effects.

And you obviously didn’t read my reply correctly - the preset thing - that’s not my philosophy, as I pointed out it’s a quote from Digital Igloo  (Eric Klein Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg).

You loaded the Factory Presets, but you would like someone else to tell you what’s new? Uh! Look up what was there previously and compare. Tell you what - I’ll make it real easy - follow this link and scroll down to find lists of everything that ever was a factory preset and which changed from update to update. Now that should be real simple and as noted “all presets suck”.

https://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

You really don’t get it.

• Downvote 1

thanks for update, everything works on my HXFX! would like to see some controller assign improvement. right now there is reset of current value parameter when you select controller for it. it's not critical, but not enough convenient though. if i would like to set changing of several parameters per switch, i should remember the current value for each one and then set it up again (along with new min/max value).

Be healthy!

I am wanting to update to update to 2.92 from 2.82.  The first step is to update to 2.90.  I cannot find 2.90.  I have installed HX Edit 2.90 and Line6 Updater lists 2.82- 2.91- 2.92.

2.91 also states 2.90 as the first step.  Can I update straight from 2.82 to 2.91 or do I need to find the flash file for 2.90 and update local file? Thanks!!!!

Tom

Hi Tom. Here’s the opening paragraph of the firmware update instructions for v2.92 (emphasis is mine).

Helix/HX 2.92 and Helix Native 1.92 include important bug fixes, and are strongly recommended for all Helix and HX owners. Doesn't matter what firmware your Helix/HX product is currently running; you can go straight to 2.92.

You will have a smooth update if you read and follow the instructions.