Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has your choice in guitar gear evolved??

Guitarman33172

Just curious if anybody else has gone through the same kind of guitar gear preference changes since you first started. When I started playing ( age 13) I was a hardcore 80’s hair metal fanatic! I strictly used Humbuckers, light gage strings (8’s) and thinner picks. The more distortion the better! I hated Stratocasters and  single coil pickups because I thought they were too clean and couldn’t pull off good harmonics. Boy, I’ve completely turned around. Lots of things over the years totally  made a liar out of me.. I love Scorpions guitarist Matthias Jabs. Didn't realize all that time that many of his great solos I loved were played with a STRATOCASTER!! Same thing with guitarist  of Accept. I loved his squealing guitar solos.. I read the album cover.. he used a Stratocaster too!! Today.. I couldn’t deny that SRV. Had one of the best guitar tones around. He played a Strat with heavy strings. Today.. many years later ,I won’t play anything BUT a Stratocaster with single coil pickups and mostly with the neck pickup!! I also play 11’s strings at standard 440 tuning. Plus I only use thicker jazz picks. I love great smooth punchy clear tube driven guitar tone that’s got harmonics without all the distortion. Wow... what a metamorphosis!