Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.9 Flash File

DavidAGallagher

Hi!  I have the Helix LT with firmware 2.8.  

My question: is there a way to download just the 2.9 flash file for the Helix LT?

I don't have any internet at home, but use the free Wi-Fi at work.  In the past I have been updating my Helix by downloading the necessary software (and separate flash file) onto the laptop and then bringing that home to do the update.

Thanks, my first post.  Been lurking for 2 years.  Love my Helix.

Just be aware that you may encounter issues if you update the device firmware without also updating HX Edit. As of v2.90 the supported firmware update procedure is integrated into the HX Edit program. The previous method of using the Line 6 Updater program directly is no longer applicable.

So that leads to the following question: having downloaded the firmware file, how do you plan to install it? Line 6 Updater is the wrong answer; it may no longer work properly. I don’t know if the new procedure within HX Edit v2.90 gives you the option to update from a local file. 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, silverhead said:

Just be aware that you may encounter issues if you update the device firmware without also updating HX Edit. As of v2.90 the supported firmware update procedure is integrated into the HX Edit program. The previous method of using the Line 6 Updater program directly is no longer applicable.

So that leads to the following question: having downloaded the firmware file, how do you plan to install it? Line 6 Updater is the wrong answer; it may no longer work properly. I don’t know if the new procedure within HX Edit v2.90 gives you the option to update from a local file. 

Just an FYI on this:

I used the update Firmware in the past using the online (I.E. Login updater program) and it failed on updating. Being in IT, I believed something happened on the download side, not a complete packet download, not a Line 6 issue. So I DL'ed the Flash file from that point on and used Offline update for 2 years. And always had success.

So this 2.9 I just followed my protocol (Updated offline update). Even though I did read the new 2.9 did this in the HX Edit (I wish HX Edit had choice of Offline update as in my experience so many have download issue in real time, especially today as everyone is home and 20 + devices connected). Everything went great as the updated tool was also in the new install of Helix 2.9.

And why do I know that? I uninstalled everything Helix before installing 2.9 HX Edit and I uninstalled everything Helix before installing HX Edit today. 

But!!! when 2.91 comes out, I have to say hey let's give it a try update through HX Edit - Online.... It started great and less than 10% into installing as I was watching and reading the Floor window boom It locked up and froze... I went ugh! (I also saw the HX Edit said disconnected) I knew I should of went with my old and true way.

No Problem I had downloaded the 2.91 Flash file before I did this, as I have learned.. Started the updated update tool program and flashed the 2.91 and it worked like perfect! So new updated tool still works! (Edit: before I did the 2.90 updated tool for 2.91, I also uninstalled everything 2.9 and installed the 2.91 HX Edit program and choose the update tool for the offline Flash update)

So no blame or rant towards Line 6, as I think this time it was a USB issue, as my HX Edit keeps disconnecting via USB, I do like the new RECONNECT button in HX Edit, hmm as it works, but wonder if they had this issue too? Anyone else seeing the USB disconnect happening? before the 2.9 update I haven't been seeing it in years. But I have had it since 2.9 and now on 2.91.

But I ordered a new cable just in case.. PS I did try another usb port on the motherboard just to test and same issue. i.e. no USB hub, I do read instructions sometimes, haha

I'm hoping it is just a cable as I have not seen any post about it in years.

I have updated off-line in the past as well

I have downloaded the 4 MB flash file/firmware for 2.91

I am not sure how to update the helix because there is no off-line option with new 2.90 Hx-Edit

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

The Line 6 updater is installed on a Windows installation of 2.90 Hx-Edit, as long as you did not uncheck Line 6 updater when installing. I say Windows as I cannot confirm a Mac install, but I would believe the same is true.

So look at your Program Menu and open Line 6 folder and you should see Line 6 Updater program. It has the Offline install. This is a necessary program, if you wanted to revert to older version... Or run because you install failed through the Helix HX Edit updater.
I would think they will include the Offline choice in the HX Edit in the future.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shatters said:

I would think they will include the Offline choice in the HX Edit in the future.

I have to say that I was initially very impressed by the integrated installation procedure in HX Edit 2.9. Although having said that I also, along with many others, did have problems with later trying to move to the v2.91 “hot fix” patch. My guess was that the server could have been under pressure from the traffic of lots of users around the globe all  trying to do the same thing. Anyhow, when I checked the Line 6 Updater application, it appears that was updated along with HX Edit and so I simply downloaded the small patch file and ran that locally. No problem, even though Line 6 say it is no longer supported, it is probably running behind the HX Edit fascia. 

It seems that many others have also done the same thing either because of having a bad internet connection or being in a similar situation to you. I know that every update, has brought floods of “update bricked my Helix” posts, but maybe that by trying to make the process simpler, it has effectively alienated many users. To avoid this, the option for running the updates offline should definitely be included.

Let’s see how it develops.