Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.90 upgrade Output Level Meters

paulgshaw

Yes, this. Highlight the Output block, and you will see the meters.

I love this feature, especially for the 3-band compressor (LA Studio Comp? I'm not in front of my Helix). The meters revealed that my settings were compressing the mid band only, with no effect on the high or low bands. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aaronlyon said:

I love this feature, especially for the 3-band compressor (LA Studio Comp? I'm not in front of my Helix). The meters revealed that my settings were compressing the mid band only, with no effect on the high or low bands. 

Agree 100%! Incredibly helpful to have this for the '3-Band Comp' although you are right in that you can also use it potentially to see how the 'Emphasis' setting is impacting the 'LA Studio Comp' as well.

Have to say I'm very disappointed with the meters. Just two bars on the display, and not even a mark or any dashes to show the user what level you're at (-18dbfs etc). Why didn't they incorporate it into hx edit? It baffles me..... Seems like that would be the best place for the meters as they are useful for setting up proper gain staging, and that naturally relates to recording using a computer. 

Anyway, rant over. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfster said:

Have to say I'm very disappointed with the meters. Just two bars on the display, and not even a mark or any dashes to show the user what level you're at (-18dbfs etc). Why didn't they incorporate it into hx edit? It baffles me..... Seems like that would be the best place for the meters as they are useful for setting up proper gain staging, and that naturally relates to recording using a computer. 

Anyway, rant over. 

I agree. I also wonder if these are eventually going to make it into HX Edit which is what I use mainly to create patches. It's difficult for me to see the meters on the Helix from my current setup.

I agree too. I get that everyone advocates that you really have to level patches by ear and that's even joked about in the name of the release for this particular firmware - however I'm not sure what the meter's tell me at all in its current iteration

They probably didn't put numbers on them so people don't start trying to level everything to a certain dB and then wondering why everything doesn't sound the same volume. All I need to know is if I'm clipping or not at the I/O and the compressor meters work just fine for noting where/when the device is working. I do think they should be in the Edit app, though. Having it hooked up to my computer to build patches and I have to keep sliding my tray in and out to see the meters on the floor is a PITA.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2020 at 8:20 AM, aaronlyon said:

Oh those knuckleheads!

I bought a Helix when they were first introduced, then sold it, and am back now, and I remembered there was a meter, but it seems to me it was available in the editor and one of the global displays (maybe), and couldn't find it when I went looking for it this time around.

I found one in the compressor a couple days ago, but the one in the output block escaped me. It's a useful place for them to have stored it though.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Wolfster said:

Anyway, rant over. 

Why not in the editor? It beats up the USB when they're shooting that information across the cable.

Imagine if someone was recording and had the compressor or output block selected and HX Edit open....

Line 6 could do it, but I think they're trying to be kinder and gentler and avoid those tech reports that the sound had latency when the meters were displayed.

We all love flashing lights and meters wiggling but we don't need them when we're recording or performing, only when we're getting set up to do those things. 

I mean, seriously, why do we need meters when we have cell-phones? We can look at the phone instead when we have a couple measures free to do nothing, then stick it back in a pocket with the screen lit up and make the audience wonder WTF!?.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Wolfster said:

Why didn't they incorporate it into hx edit?

HX Edit never processes audio so the meters would just show zero all the time. Yes, programmers can eventually write enough code to make just about anything work but we're probably talking about a ground-up re-write of the editor to make this happen. I'm not claiming they'll never do it. I'm only giving my "armchair guess" as to why they didn't do it at this time. I agree it would be pretty cool to have them in there.

• Like 2