Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.90 Legendary Drive

52dmk

1 minute ago, EdwinV said:

Not familiar with this drive, but I find it quite noisy. Tried it with the new Revv amp model. Am I doing something wrong?

Try it with something lower gain, it's got loads of gain all on its own. Maybe a edge of breakup ac30 or plexi style amp.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a preamp model and should be in the preamp category, not

in the drive section, it’s not a standard distortion pedal so it’s difficult to 

get it to sound nice with an full additional amp because it’s too “meaty” on it’s own,

but that’s just a little mans opinion.....

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, EdwinV said:

Not familiar with this drive, but I find it quite noisy. Tried it with the new Revv amp model. Am I doing something wrong?

Use it after an amp. Something low gain preferably. Use it without an amp at all.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ernsttore said:

get it to sound nice with an full additional amp because it’s too “meaty” on it’s own,

Yeah I tried it last night into a Deluxe Amp that I have set to a nice clean type setting, and it was pretty thick sounding.  

Is there anything that would prevent from it sounding good Legacy > Cab/IR block?  I'm not at my helix to try til later tonight....

22 hours ago, EdwinV said:

Legendary drive is technically a preamp, and running a high-gain preamp into another high-gain preamp will certainly add noise. Most people who use the Vai Legacy drive run it into a cleaner amp or one with the Gain knob turned pretty low.

2 hours ago, willjrock said:

Use it after an amp. Something low gain preferably. Use it without an amp at all.

3 hours ago, ernsttore said:

2 hours ago, willjrock said:

8 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Legendary drive is technically a preamp, and running a high-gain preamp into another high-gain preamp will certainly add noise. Most people who use the Vai Legacy drive run it into a cleaner amp or one with the Gain knob turned pretty low.

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you all for the clarification!

On 4/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, EdwinV said:

My guess is, because it's a high gain distortion (amp in a box) pedal on top of a high gain amp? 

Here i just threw a quick 15 second riff down over a loop, tuned how it might sound if i were using it personally. lol super sloppy and only one working computer speaker. im a mess. Im assuming it sounds ok at least for the couple minutes i spent. I really have no way to monitor at the moment. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6j869y9p3l1m06/new test.wav?dl=0 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgc3y3txvj4wsgh/L drive.PNG?dl=0

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, willjrock said:

Here i just threw a quick 15 second riff down over a loop, tuned how it might sound if i were using it personally. lol super sloppy and only one working computer speaker. im a mess. Im assuming it sounds ok at least for the couple minutes i spent. I really have no way to monitor at the moment. 

That tone sounds killer! Nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qwerty42 said:

That tone sounds killer! Nice!

Right? For a drive pedal? Its not bad at all. Definitely more tone than i expected from a "pedal"  that i had very little interest in when the update dropped. Turning out to be a favorite part of the update.

5 hours ago, willjrock said:

Sounds great! What are you using for drums?

• Thanks 1

Just a Steven Slate loop.  SSD5.5 to be exact. The Modern Rock preset with a couple very minor tweaks. If you dont already have it, just get it without even thinking about it :)

Thats a redwirez IR. I'll see if i can refine it all a little bit and leave the preset here,  for anyone who may be interested in that type of sound.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, willjrock said:

Turning out to be a favorite part of the update.

I agree. I also agree with you that it works really well running straight into a cab or IR. I couldn't dial it in very well, even into a clean amp, but when I placed the Timmy before it (to cut some lows) and an EQ after it (to boost mids), it really sounded nice running into a dual cab. An unexpected bonus of 2.9 for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

that sounds nice and crunchy.  I didnt spend a lot of time with it as i've never been a good 'pedal distortion' guy.  Mainly always got my tones from amps......what type of clean(ish) amp did you run this into?  

Guys im sorry that i posted this cheesy little clip this way. It makes perfect sense that there would be some confusion. Any normal person would have simply posted a vid but i dont really have a "bedroom studio" per say, and thats exactly where i was at the time of posting.

If you look at the pic Im actually running an amp first. Its the archetype clean i think. I tried it without an amp at all and it still seemed OK,  but the amp in front of the drive just sounded better in the moment. Honestly running a pedal AFTER an amp is the LAST thing i would ever do, but i read somewhere to try Legend on its own and for whatever reason it ended up post amp. I was going to refine the preset and track a bit over the weekend and repost but i'll just leave the current preset here so you can refine it to your own liking.  Its ridiculously simple, no snapshaots or anything. The right IR or cab will be the key obviously. I dont use HX cabs.        https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxm2962fs8y5ew8/raven111.hlx?dl=0

1 hour ago, steelstringer said:

I agree. I also agree with you that it works really well running straight into a cab or IR. I couldn't dial it in very well, even into a clean amp, but when I placed the Timmy before it (to cut some lows) and an EQ after it (to boost mids), it really sounded nice running into a dual cab. An unexpected bonus of 2.9 for me. 

Thats great. Post amp worked best for me but i havent really had a chance to work thru the pedals. Im going to guess that anything that adds cleaner volume without a lot of gain will work pretty well. Even the studio tube pre would probably do ok.

9 minutes ago, willjrock said:

Guys im sorry that i posted this cheesy little clip this way. It makes perfect sense that there would be some confusion. Any normal person would have simply posted a vid but i dont really have a "bedroom studio" per say, and thats exactly where i was at the time of posting.

If you look at the pic Im actually running an amp first. Its the archetype clean i think. I tried it without an amp at all and it still seemed OK,  but the amp in front of the drive just sounded better in the moment. Honestly running a pedal AFTER an amp is the LAST thing i would ever do, but i read somewhere to try Legend on its own and for whatever reason it ended up post amp. I was going to refine the preset and track a bit over the weekend and repost but i'll just leave the current preset here so you can refine it to your own liking.  Its ridiculously simple, no snapshaots or anything. The right IR or cab will be the key obviously. I dont use HX cabs.        https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxm2962fs8y5ew8/raven111.hlx?dl=0

Thats great. Post amp worked best for me but i havent really had a chance to work thru the pedals. Im going to guess that anything that adds cleaner volume without a lot of gain will work pretty well. Even the studio tube pre would probably do ok.

Yeah I havent had a dedicated tweaking session with this effect yet, but will consider your routing option and see where I land.  Thanks for the info

• Like 1

When I saw the sneak peak about 2.90 back in January, I wasn't that excited about the Legacy Drive.  Steve Vai hasn't exactly been a beacon for me in terms of tone for quite sometime.  When I tried the Legendary Drive I was quite blown away.  It kind of comes off like a fuzz/distortion hybrid... kind of like a Diamond Fireburst pedal.  I always wanted one but didn't have the space on my board or the funds to justify an extra gain pedal.  Very happy!

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com