Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

You've got to be kidding me Line 6

robberns

It's a good thing there aren't any gigs in the near future.

I've got 2 bricked HX units, a Stomp and an Effects.

Attempted the 2.9 firmware update on both, both units failed and now won't boot.

Opened a support ticket and tried what they told me to (power up holding down the > button) and then try to manually load the firmware. Both units failed again.

I should have waited until the rest of the world worked out the bugs.

So beware out there.

Yes, I followed the Line 6 instructions to the letter.

And I am not a computer newbie.

Once the units bricked, the instruction is to use the Line 6 updater, which also failed.

I originally tried on a Mac laptop, now trying on a Dell laptop.

There are no buttons 9 + 10 on the HX Effects...

I did attempt to do a factory reset on both units, which did not work.

What did work is to run the Updater from the Windows PC. Mac OS did not work, there is obviously a problem there.

I was able to get both the Stomp and Effects updated to 2.9, and then reloaded my backup from the Mac.

Not sure what I would have done if I did not have a Windows machine.

Well, I'm glad you got it fixed, but before you go ragging on Line 6, consider that if every Mac user 'bricked' their devices during update, we'd be seeing a LOT more about it. So far, you're the only one. Since the common link in all this was your Mac, I'd be a little suspicious about something specific to your computer (flaky USB port? cable used? old/out of date OS?... )

• Like 1

I'm glad things seem to have gotten sorted, but it seems to me that if the same computer bricked multiple pieces of hardware, than it's most likely there's some sort of issue with that particular computer, not all the different pieces of hardware...

• Like 2

Hey, who knows, but the 2.9 editor works fine on this MacBook. Used the same cable with the PC so I know it isn't that.

The issue was with the firmware updater. Maybe it is the MacBook, can't say.

I'll be curious to see if anyone else using OS X has this issue over the coming weeks.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:30 PM, phil_m said:

I'm glad things seem to have gotten sorted, but it seems to me that if the same computer bricked multiple pieces of hardware, than it's most likely there's some sort of issue with that particular computer, not all the different pieces of hardware...

seems like a pretty wild and unwarranted logical leap to me. It's much more likely there's an issue with the Mac version of the software and that has caused problems. Line6 notoriously pays little attention to Mac, you can see it by how most of their software is still not notarized for Catalina (except HX Edit with the last release) after almost a year from release.

The latest version of Helix Native still has issues installing under Catalina, I was shocked to see that.

1 hour ago, BlueD said:

seems like a pretty wild and unwarranted logical leap to me. It's much more likely there's an issue with the Mac version of the software and that has caused problems. Line6 notoriously pays little attention to Mac, you can see it by how most of their software is still not notarized for Catalina (except HX Edit with the last release) after almost a year from release.

The latest version of Helix Native still has issues installing under Catalina, I was shocked to see that.

You think Line 6 doesn’t pay attention to Mac? Everyone I know at Line 6 uses a Mac... I think it’s harder for companies to keep up with Apple because they have more frequent OS updates, and a lot of updates seem to affect core functionality when it comes to audio, for whatever reason. The whole thing with the certification is kind of a non-issue, in that it can be overridden. It’s just kind of Apple throwing its weight around, trying to make the world play by its rules.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You think Line 6 doesn’t pay attention to Mac? Everyone I know at Line 6 uses a Mac... I think it’s harder for companies to keep up with Apple because they have more frequent OS updates, and a lot of updates seem to affect core functionality when it comes to audio, for whatever reason. The whole thing with the certification is kind of a non-issue, in that it can be overridden. It’s just kind of Apple throwing its weight around, trying to make the world play by its rules.

You're essentially saying "don't believe your lying eyes" here.

It's not that I THINK, I KNOW they don't because otherwise they would have caught up. Using Macs doesn't mean much, they have made prioritization decisions and obviously first rate support on Mac is not on the list of priorities, or the situation would be different.

9 minutes ago, BlueD said:

You're essentially saying "don't believe your lying eyes" here.

It's not that I THINK, I KNOW they don't because otherwise they would have caught up. Using Macs doesn't mean much, they have made prioritization decisions and obviously first rate support on Mac is not on the list of priorities, or the situation would be different.

No, I’m saying Apple forces companies in the OSX ecosystem to jump through a lot of hoops. I’ve not seen anything that says Line 6 isn’t trying. It’s just that sometimes their hands are tied. The fact that Catalina dropped 32-bit support entirely, for instance, screwed a lot of people over.

As far as the Line 6 guys using Macs goes, it’s certainly relevant. If most of the testing and development is being done with Macs, how can they actually just ignore it?

Regardless, I’ve not seen widespread evidence that there’s some sort of universal problems with the Helix and Macs. I see just as many posts of people having issues with Windows machines. There’s enough variation in these systems, that there’s always going to be anecdotes of people having problems.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlueD said:

seems like a pretty wild and unwarranted logical leap to me. It's much more likely there's an issue with the Mac version of the software and that has caused problems.

ONE user having this issue on ONE computer makes it 'much more likely' that it's an issue with Mac versions in general? You described your own logic with your first sentence.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, phil_m said:

No, I’m saying Apple forces companies in the OSX ecosystem to jump through a lot of hoops. I’ve not seen anything that says Line 6 isn’t trying. It’s just that sometimes their hands are tied. The fact that Catalina dropped 32-bit support entirely, for instance, screwed a lot of people over.

As far as the Line 6 guys using Macs goes, it’s certainly relevant. If most of the testing and development is being done with Macs, how can they actually just ignore it?

Regardless, I’ve not seen widespread evidence that there’s some sort of universal problems with the Helix and Macs. I see just as many posts of people having issues with Windows machines. There’s enough variation in these systems, that there’s always going to be anecdotes of people having problems.

How many actively supported pieces of software do you use that are not notarized (a process that takes literally minutes) to work under Catalina?

I understand you like the company, but this is MAGA level of denial.

• Downvote 1

Just now, qwerty42 said:

ONE user having this issue on ONE computer makes it 'much more likely' that it's an issue with Mac versions in general? You described your own logic with your first sentence.

One in this thread. Also if you know anything about how computers work, it's very unlikely that a hardware problem severe enough to introduce an issue during a firmware refresh would have no other effect whatsoever. Paired with what I'm reading in the groups on Facebook and other forums, it's pretty clear this is not an isolated event.

Frankly this answer says more about you than it says about me: attacking me personally because I'm saying something that goes against the idealized image you formed of a corporation in your mind, that's pretty sad. I know it happens, but still, I constantly shake my head at the depth of self delusion fanboys will fall into.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, BlueD said:

It's not that I THINK, I KNOW

Part of this statement is false......

Anecdotal evidence in refutation of the L6 "anti-MAC" bias:

Helix Native is mostly MIDI enabled, except for Program Change Messages.

They only work on DAWs that run on MAC, NOT in the myriad DAWs that only run on PCs.

I've questioned L6 on this (admittedly minor problem) in at least three places.

No answer.

Must be a conspiracy.......

Just now, rd2rk said:

Part of this statement is false......

Anecdotal evidence in refutation of the L6 "anti-MAC" bias:

Helix Native is mostly MIDI enabled, except for Program Change Messages.

They only work on DAWs that run on MAC, NOT in the myriad DAWs that only run on PCs.

I've questioned L6 on this (admittedly minor problem) in at least three places.

No answer.

Must be a conspiracy.......

Ok then, they are sloppy on every platform. I feel relieved...

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BlueD said:

Ok then, they are sloppy on every platform. I feel relieved...

Happy to help.

But seriously, this is not the first time you've come on here to criticize L6, then got personally offended when others defend them, attacking all and sundry with the "Fanboy" epithet.

I gotta wonder, what is your agenda?

And, oh yeah, you also introduced politics, in violation of forum policies. Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BlueD said:

One in this thread. Also if you know anything about how computers work, it's very unlikely that a hardware problem severe enough to introduce an issue during a firmware refresh would have no other effect whatsoever. Paired with what I'm reading in the groups on Facebook and other forums, it's pretty clear this is not an isolated event.

Frankly this answer says more about you than it says about me: attacking me personally because I'm saying something that goes against the idealized image you formed of a corporation in your mind, that's pretty sad. I know it happens, but still, I constantly shake my head at the depth of self delusion fanboys will fall into.

No, I'm refuting your statement because it's as much of a logical fallacy as you claimed the other was. If you go up in this thread, I posted a link to another post on this forum where a mac user had a similar problem from his computer entering sleep mode during the update. This person's problem could have just as easily been the same thing. That's the point--yes, there are things that can happen that are isolated incidents.

Your leap of assuming more about me at the end of your reply, after accusing me of 'attacking you personally', is another logical fallacy, and a hypocritical one at that.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, BlueD said:

How many actively supported pieces of software do you use that are not notarized (a process that takes literally minutes) to work under Catalina?

I understand you like the company, but this is MAGA level of denial.

I am more than a regular on all the forums. I see WAY more issues with Windows computers and HX products than Mac.

I don't know that there is actually that many issues with Catalina, tbh. I certainly had no issues with it with either Native 1.8 or 1.9, through all the betas as well.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

I am more than a regular on all the forums. I see WAY more issues with Windows computers and HX products than Mac.

I don't know that there is actually that many issues with Catalina, tbh. I certainly had no issues with it with either Native 1.8 or 1.9, through all the betas as well.

To be fair - there are a WHOLE LOT more Windows computers than MACs in the world.

It's been my observation that many (NOT ALL!) MAC users don't know a lot about computers and don't WANT to. That's WHY they buy a MAC. Turn it on and get to work!

Many (NOT ALL!) people who buy Windows PCs do so because they're cheaper, and/or the SW they want to run doesn't run on MAC. They have problems because they don't know much about computers, and don't WANT to know, and you NEED to know at least a little about computers to use Windows, 

IOW - you pay for a more stable and easier to use platform with money.

You pay for initial affordability with the need to learn pesky technical stuff to fix things when they go awry (or to make them work in the first place!).

Such is the nature of life in the digital wonderland!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

To be fair - there are a WHOLE LOT more Windows computers than MACs in the world.

It's been my observation that many (NOT ALL!) MAC users don't know a lot about computers and don't WANT to. That's WHY they buy a MAC. Turn it on and get to work!

Many (NOT ALL!) people who buy Windows PCs do so because they're cheaper, and/or the SW they want to run doesn't run on MAC. They have problems because they don't know much about computers, and don't WANT to know, and you NEED to know at least a little about computers to use Windows, 

IOW - you pay for a more stable and easier to use platform with money.

You pay for initial affordability with the need to learn pesky technical stuff to fix things when they go awry (or to make them work in the first place!).

Such is the nature of life in the digital wonderland!

well, the gulf between usability on the two platforms is far from what it was just a decade or so ago, but yeah.

I still find Windows 10 so annoying to configure and use that my "test" laptop I have here never gets turned on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterHamm said:

well, the gulf between usability on the two platforms is far from what it was just a decade or so ago, but yeah.

I still find Windows 10 so annoying to configure and use that my "test" laptop I have here never gets turned on.

Long ago, in a galaxy far far away (California), I earned a pretty good living doing every kind of PC and network support you can imagine.

I was given a computer to fix - "It's really slow and won't connect to the Internet."

Turns out it was an ancient 8088 (or was it a 286?) with 256k and a tiny HD. It was running Windows 1.0.

I gave the guy an old 386 I had in the closet running Windows 95. He was THRILLED!

Windows 10 is SO much better these days. My systems are VERY stable, but they wouldn't be without the patience afforded me by that experience.

A friend loaned me a 2013 MBP, just so I could see what all the fuss was about. I hated it. All the fun stuff is hidden! :-) 

• Like 2

I like Windows 10 for the most part. I’ve not had any big problems with it. In my line of work, architecture and engineering, Windows is pretty much the only game in town. There are a few people who use Macs to run Revit or whatnot, but even those have partitioned drives with Windows installed on them for that purpose.

There are a lot of things with OS X that I find confusing and kind of backwards, personally.

• Like 1