Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

75 Or 150?

nremondelli

I tried both side-by-side in the quiet "acoustic guitar" room at my local GC.  I used the same guitar (Strat), same settings on the guitar, same patches in the amp. The 150 was noticeably more present and fuller sounding.  Since I need this amp for gigs, I chose the 150.  I loved the size and weight of the 75 and REALLY wanted it to work, but for gigs, I think the 150s the best choice.  I'll gig with it tonight and let you know how it works.

AE

Okay, here's my post-gig report.  FIrst, I should explain that I played tonight in a reggae/rocksteady band. While we have six musicians we are not really that loud.  Nonetheless, I have a drummer, percussionst, another gutarist, a sax and an electric bass to contend with, so presence from my amp is important.  I'm happy to report that I had more than enough volume, headroom and sense of presence from the 150 amp.  Also, the four patches I settled on worked well for me during the gig  (I did not use any really distorted patches. I prefer to use an overdrive pedal).  I was happy with the quality of the sounds I was getting. The highest volume setting I had for the amp was around 11 o'clock -- less than half the amp's potential volume gain.  Even at this setting, my guitar volume was mostly rolled back to about 40-80 percent of full. Basically, there was a lot more volume left for me to use.  In fact...  I'm wondering if a 75 might work for my needs.  I suspect a 75 could reach appropriate volume levels, but I wonder whether it would have enough "umph", depth and full dimensional feel.  I may have to go back to GC and re-listen to the 75 with these considerations in mind.  It's sure hard to beat the 75's handy size and weight!

AE

• Upvote 1

Thanks a bunch!

It is always nice when someone have actual experience and not just speculating. I am playing with my friends and we I am pretty sure I could hold my own with the 120, but would also like the smaller size of the 75. As of now the other two guitarists (we are three guitarists and switching bass duty so there is never more than two at the same time) use a 40W and a 60W and usually mike them if we have to. I am also thinking that the custom made 12" Celestion speaker is making the 120 sound more open and dynamic.

• 2 weeks later...

I gigged with my Classic Rock covers band with my 75.  Loud drummer,  bass player and second guitar with an EVH 5150 50 watt and a 412 cabinet.  Yes, I miced it with one Condensor mic and was able to hear both my amp and the amp through the monitors.  I was more than pleased.

I'm finding that the spider iv cleans are .......... cleaner......... am i wrong here? My distortion presets seems to suck on the AMPLIFi but are amazing on the IV 150. Any Suggestions?

(also has anyone found anything about mic'ing this thing besides hitting the 12" in the center or side?, Should i dual mic it for the stereo fx?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ialso have a 75

I love it

you have to learn to make the best out of 75 watts

you have to learn how to adjust your amp

I used to do the same thing  but you can't beat the portability of the amp

It is a power house in a small package

take some time to learn the amp 

You will enjoy it

Here's what I learned a few weeks ago from a previous thread on this forum when I too was wrestling with the 75 versus 150 decision... I had bought the 75 but then was thinking that maybe I should have spent the extra $100 for the 150. After reading the posts on the other thread I learned (and believe it to be true) that lower volumes the 75 sounds better than the 150 but at higher volumes the 150 sounds better than 75. So, since I play mostly at lower volumes I settled on the 75 and haven't looked back--I'm very pleased with the smaller amp.

* To provide a little more perspective, I'm using my 75 with a Stratocaster w/3 single coil pickups--IMO they complement each other quite nicely. I can't say how guitars with humbuckers or P90's would sound with the 75 but single coils especially with AMPLIFI's clean, shimmery, bluesy, and crunchy tones sound really nice to my ears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I gigged with my Classic Rock covers band with my 75.  Loud drummer,  bass player and second guitar with an EVH 5150 50 watt and a 412 cabinet.  Yes, I miced it with one Condensor mic and was able to hear both my amp and the amp through the monitors.  I was more than pleased.

i have a 3 piece classic rock band who gigs regular. I currently use a spider 4 75 watt, but the volume is never higher than around 10 o clock..a smaller, lighter 75 watt amp would be cool. So, what were you using before?  We dont run instruments through the monitors, only vocals.

I long hesitated between 75 and 150 (having a Yamaha 10THR, I'd go for 75 logically) but opted for 150 (without testing) as I wanted options open for the future. No regret yet expect that at full volumes (yes plural, master and guitar) one not only irritates neighbours, but definitively blows her/his ears. I practice at 1/4 master volume and 3/4 guitar volume, just perfect.

At full throttle, the AmpliFi 150 nears a 10.5cm cannon burst (I already blew one ear during my military time, and for some reason the AmpliFi went almost to max. volumes, it almost happened again).

Hi Charlie,

actually these are two different animals. The Yamaha 10THR has 10W output (2 x 5W) with very good tone (good mimic of valve amps), very compact, can be battery operated, and is controlled through dials on the upper part as a conventional amp with quite a few effects. It has also all the necessary interfaces for your iPod, iPhone, you name it, a USB port, memory for five preset or preferred tones, work with bass and acoustic, offers an App to practice with the device.

If you look for a small, compact, and portable solution with a great flexibility in tones and (cable) connectivity, then the Yamaha is your choice, the David.

The AmpliFi 150 is the Goliath, but with all the capability of the Yamaha, wireless connectivity and an even larger flexibility, but at the cost of the bulk and weight.

I greatly enjoyed the Yamaha, exceptional for practicing and moving around if required, but I missed the openness the AmpliFi is offering, through the iOS and wireless, controlling my tone at the fingertips, on the fly, with as many preferred tones as required, I do not regret the Yamaha, as I practice many styles and can swap from one to the next easily and when I miss a tone, I taylor it very easily with a greater flexibility than the Yamaha (5 amp modeling "only"). Last but not least, I can stream music in my living room, as the AmpliFi is still mobile enough.

If you look for infinite flexibility with probably the largest choice of modeling in the universe and live with 17kgs for the 150 or even lighter with the 75, then the AmpliFi is your choice.

Last remark: the 150 is very, very, very loud in my opinion.

Indeed, also the speakers in the 150 are slightly larger, the Celestion sounds more pronounced and clear at mid-high levels in the 150w and some have said that it's distortion is a little better. Depends on your needs though as well

A fly in the ointment is sometimes the microphone effect with pickups (when string muting for example). I have the impression the pickups act more like microphones and one gets strange small noises, like parasites I know from microphones, not pickups.

This happens indeed in strongly overdriven or distorted signals, but I agree, the 150 has very good tone rendering.

A fly in the ointment is sometimes the microphone effect with pickups (when string muting for example). I have the impression the pickups act more like microphones and one gets strange small noises, like parasites I know from microphones, not pickups.

This happens indeed in strongly overdriven or distorted signals, but I agree, the 150 has very good tone rendering.

I've played them both extensively now, the 75W I have and a 150w at the store. Both have ups and downs, personally the rattling in the 150 breaks it for me..that and in a bedroom or small space the 75 just owns it without the extra punch. I'd say start with a 75w then if in a week you don't like it just take it back for the 150W, they do offer a 7-14 day buyers remorse period I believe.

Hi Brad,

indeed, the 75W is sized for (bed- or living-) room practice and I long hesitated between the two of them (I was leaving my Yamaha 10THR), but Celestion was the last argument to opt for 150W. I am working at low volume anyway and it seems to be better controlled with the AmpliFi than the Yamaha (I had to dial the volume according to the amp modeled, the AmpliFi keeps its volume constant for each modeled amp and tone).

Hi Brad,

indeed, the 75W is sized for (bed- or living-) room practice and I long hesitated between the two of them (I was leaving my Yamaha 10THR), but Celestion was the last argument to opt for 150W. I am working at low volume anyway and it seems to be better controlled with the AmpliFi than the Yamaha (I had to dial the volume according to the amp modeled, the AmpliFi keeps its volume constant for each modeled amp and tone).

This is true, I must admit the 150 with the (in my opinion) higher quality Celestion sounds much better with certain amp types. I'm tempted to go to the shop and swap mine out for the 150. If only for the speaker XD. You'd think they would use at least the same types in both products.

I assume that the smaller speakers are identical, as the power increase comes from the Celestion (it is specified to 80Wrms). If the bulk is not a great issue, the 150W is a go (I move it from my practice room to the living room easily, so it is still transportable).

Have just gone for the 75, and am very pleased! I think it really depends on what your using it for. If you are planning to gig with it, go for the 150. If you are just using it for practicing at home, IMHO the 75 is more than enough. It's plenty loud enough for home and has great bass and depth, whilst also being fairly compact.

I was originally going to just go for the 150, but after hearing both in the shop, at low - medium volume, I couldn't tell the difference. To me the issue with the 150 was its size. Just a bit too big and bulky to sit comfortably at home (without the wife complaining!)

I went from a Yamaha THR 5, and at the moment, am totally loving the Amplifi!!

75 is nice, good sounding and adequate at home and small gigs with friends at reasonable volume.

Not enough to play in medium sized halls or with high volume bass / percussions. I've ordered a 10' 4ohm jensen speaker. I will try to swap the 8', and will let you all to know it will be better...

To the next..

silvio

75 is nice, good sounding and adequate at home and small gigs with friends at reasonable volume.

Not enough to play in medium sized halls or with high volume bass / percussions. I've ordered a 10' 4ohm jensen speaker. I will try to swap the 8', and will let you all to know it will be better...

To the next..

silvio

I've looked (see my avitar), it's a bit tight in there.

really, urban space, very tight - i've completely opened today the amplify 75 detaching the electronics - no space for a 10' from inside, nor for nesting in the box - maybe it could be possible to change to a 10' speaker screwing it from outside with major modifications of the baffle, sawing the lower angle of the frames of the two-way small speaker and milling the space for the speaker flange. other ideas to improve the output and bass response: (i) reframing the entire amp, building a wooden case with 2-3 inch more space and losing the modern look. (ii) swapping to the only high quality speaker I could be able to find in the world market: eminence patriot 820h 8'-4ohm.

I will now decide which way....

silvio

Maybe while you're in there, add a 2nd speaker jack and run to 1x12 cabinet.  I've been tempted to do the opposite, add a jack that create a bypass to the amp and use the Amplifi as cabinet.  HHhhmmm...now that I've typed that, I might research doing both!