Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt+/- Pod Behaviour: Can I Clarify A Few Things?

SteveGordon

Since firmware ver 2 for the DT, things have become a bit complicated, albeit more powerful.

So I'm not sure I've grasped the complexities exactly, so I'm grateful someone could clarify if I'm right/wrong about the amp + pod behaviour.

1st: If I plug into the DT without a Pod (with ver 2), it's an 8 channel amp right? With a MIDI device (DT Edit, Customizer etc) I can program (up to) 8 amps into the channels with voicings etc. If I turn it off and later come back those voicings are still there, but are the knob settings (bass, treble etc) also saved, even if the physical knobs have moved  when turned off?

2nd: If I plug in the Pod HD500 with L6 link, it's now a 2 channel amp, right? The HD stuff goes into Channel A. But if I switch off the amp in the Pod the DT switches to Channel B. Then the physical setting of the knobs on the DT control the sound. Are there now only 4 "amps" available (like firmware ver1) and all voicing are set with the physical knobs just like the olden days (Ver1)?? Are those settings saved if the Channel B knobs don't change or do you have to set it up each time the amp is turned on again?

3rd: If I have dual amps in the Pod HD, I can control which of those  amps' topologies etc is the default for both amps using L6 edit?

Thanks for any help with this.

I could work it out by trial and error but the answers might help other who struggle to understand the complexities of the amp + pod behaviour!

1. Yes, sorta, its nearly 8 channel, but the knob values are always set to the physical knob position. So if the drive is up full on chan A, then thats the drive up on 4 of your presets.

I don't know the other answers. I suggest you test, you'll learn more about your gear when testing it than any number of hnswers you get here.

1. - if you program the 8 amp models they stay but none of the knob positions are saved.

2. - if you use the POD with L6 link, the POD controls the DT.  The amp model in channel A controls the power section topology.  You have all amp models available in the POD, each accessed through a different patch.  You can set up 2 amp models in one patch, one in channel A and one in channel B.  Each one responds to the virtual knob settings in the POD independently.  The amp in channel A responds to movement of the physical knobs for channel A on the DT, channel B does not.  If you disable the amp model in channel A, the DT switches to its internal channel B amp model and the current physical knob settings for channel B on the DT take over.

3. - They will both utilize the topology set by the amp model in POD channel A as long as it is not turned off.  Channel B topology settings have no effect.

• Upvote 1

1. NO. its always just a 2 channel amp. you can configure your topologies seperately in each... but 8 channel implies that you can save more settings.

you can make it more useful by grouping your logain in channel A and higain in channel B, or similar... because the topo selection will react wildly different to the knob positions if you do not.

you are correct that these topologies can be customized.

2. with a pod its more "like" a 512 channel amp! haha.... the channels on the DT makes no difference when using line6link. the amp will revert to channel B if you select no amp on the pod.

(you will lose any post effects as the audio goes one direction) the settings are all part of the preset, so the knobs will not physically matter... HOWEVER you can edit the setting from the DT and re-save the preset on the pod if you wish.

3. radatats explained this one simple enough... of course there is always the get 2 DT amps workaround :D

Since firmware ver 2 for the DT, things have become a bit complicated, albeit more powerful.

So I'm not sure I've grasped the complexities exactly, so I'm grateful someone could clarify if I'm right/wrong about the amp + pod behaviour.

1st: If I plug into the DT without a Pod (with ver 2), it's an 8 channel amp right? With a MIDI device (DT Edit, Customizer etc) I can program (up to) 8 amps into the channels with voicings etc. If I turn it off and later come back those voicings are still there, but are the knob settings (bass, treble etc) also saved, even if the physical knobs have moved  when turned off?

2nd: If I plug in the Pod HD500 with L6 link, it's now a 2 channel amp, right? The HD stuff goes into Channel A. But if I switch off the amp in the Pod the DT switches to Channel B. Then the physical setting of the knobs on the DT control the sound. Are there now only 4 "amps" available (like firmware ver1) and all voicing are set with the physical knobs just like the olden days (Ver1)?? Are those settings saved if the Channel B knobs don't change or do you have to set it up each time the amp is turned on again?

3rd: If I have dual amps in the Pod HD, I can control which of those  amps' topologies etc is the default for both amps using L6 edit?

Thanks for any help with this.

I could work it out by trial and error but the answers might help other who struggle to understand the complexities of the amp + pod behaviour!

Thanks guys, it's getting clearer.

So if you load your DT with 8 amps via MIDI , then go to your gig without your MIDI control software for the DT, you have to manually set the knobs each time you change channels if you want your fav settings?

That is correct.  You will have a 2 channel amp but you can change which two you are using at any time with the voicing switch.  The knob positions are what they are.  They are not saved between different models...  If you have the knobs set for a clean Blackface and switch to a Treadplate, the knobs are still set for your Blackface...

which would kill your eardrums! hahha

thats why i put high gains in one channel and low gains in another...

the knob positions are more similar and more manageable.

although it is still a 2 channel amp either way...

That is correct.  You will have a 2 channel amp but you can change which two you are using at any time with the voicing switch.  The knob positions are what they are.  They are not saved between different models...  If you have the knobs set for a clean Blackface and switch to a Treadplate, the knobs are still set for your Blackface...

• Upvote 1

From my perspective the "real deal" on all this is to have both a POD HD and a DT connected via L6 link. This "completes" the (design) equation, (minus the dream rig factor with a Variax). Better still, 2 DT amps for stereo. The 2 channel variant of the DT amp as a standalone with 4 amp model options for each channel makes it very flexible but as mentioned by those above, the tone stack (knob positions) cannot be saved individually for each topology (amp voicing). IF you were using the amp simply as a clean/crunch deal between 2 channels and not needing to switch into different amp voicings, then as a standalone the DT would be quite appropriate (imho anyways). I sometimes like to set up a few presets on the POD with a foot switch assigned to deactivate the amp model so I can then switch to channel B on the DT (using it's internal preamp and onboard tone stack settings), then, using the POD as an efx pedal board so to speak. It is a different "flavour" for sure. I must admit however, that recently I have gone back to keeping everything inside the POD. The reality is that there are many ways to use this combination, and many here on this forum have found some very sweet results. 

• Upvote 1