Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I love the new POD GO but.....!!

Zordid-0

So, I really like the new POD GO, I really want to buy but there's one thing that is making me doubt about it. I don't like how you can't remove the wha, eq, volume, etc from the chain and change it for something else, I mean, I NEVER use a wha pedal for example, so I feel that is an fx block that will be just wasted, also, I would probably never use an eq pedal or rarely use it. Will the POD GO ever get an update so that we can do that?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not going to happen. In short, if it were possible, they would have done it out of the gate. It all has to do with the DSP requirements of each block. Things like the volume, wah, EQ and FX loop blocks use very little DSP. But they take up space, so they make the overall chain longer. So in a way, it's kind of trick, in the sense that it's giving you a lot of blocks - kind of like Chipotle giving you a lot of rice in your burrito. Rice is cheap, so they'll give you more. These utility blocks are "cheap" from a DSP perspective, so you can have four of them...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zordid-0 said:

I see, makes sense and it is kind of sad, maybe I just should get a mooer ge250 and be done with it, I sold my POD HD500 in order to buy something newer so... we'll see.

Note that the Mooer GE250 does the same thing—except all but two of its blocks are fixed. The Distortion, Amp, Cab, Noise Gate, FX Loop, Delay, and Reverb can't be switched to anything else.

Say you're a porcupine and you want to throw a pool party. Your swimming pool's juuuuust big enough to fit four hippos (freely-assignable effects), two elephants (Amp+Cab or Amp+IR), four ducks (Volume, Wah, FX Loop, Preset EQ), a chicken (Input Gate), and a swan (Global EQ). So you carefully send out the invitations. On the day of the pool party, your four duck friends, your chicken friend, and your swan friend all show up and are swimming around, having a great time. Your two elephant friends hop in and have a great time too. But one of your hippo friends calls:

"Hey, can I bring a fifth hippo to the pool?"

Sorry, there just isn't room for a fifth hippo. There's only enough room for four hippos.

"Okay, but what if one of the ducks leaves? Can I bring him then?"

No, because an hippo is bigger than a duck. He won't fit.

"What about when all four ducks leave?"

No, because your hippo friend is still bigger than all four ducks put together.

"What about when all four ducks, the chicken, and the swan all leave?"

No, because your hippo friend is still bigger than ALL of them put together.

As Phil said, it's a way to get a full signal flow out of a smaller, less expensive DSP, which is what Mooer, Joyo, Hotone, BOSS, and older affordable Line 6 boxes do.

18 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Note that the Mooer GE250 does the same thing—except all but two of its blocks are fixed. The Distortion, Amp, Cab, Noise Gate, FX Loop, Delay, and Reverb can't be switched to anything else.

Say you're a porcupine and you want to throw a pool party. Your swimming pool's juuuuust big enough to fit four hippos (freely-assignable effects), two elephants (Amp+Cab or Amp+IR), four ducks (Volume, Wah, FX Loop, Preset EQ), a chicken (Input Gate), and a swan (Global EQ). So you carefully send out the invitations. On the day of the pool party, your four duck friends, your chicken friend, and your swan friend all show up and are swimming around, having a great time. Your two elephant friends hop in and have a great time too. But one of your hippo friends calls:

Sorry, there just isn't room for a fifth hippo. There's only enough room for four hippos.

As Phil said, it's a way to get a full signal flow out of a smaller, less expensive DSP, which is what Mooer, Joyo, Hotone, BOSS, and older affordable Line 6 boxes do.

A morality tale told with chicken, porcupines, hippos and ducks... I think this quarantine thing has finally gotten to Eric...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Loved the analogy and I get it. I honestly believed that you were able to move effects around with the mooer ge250. Might as well just buy a headrush gigboard but the lack of updates, poor tuner and lack of fx's are holding me back from that, I would totally miss having the particle verb.

22 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

If that's the issue then I'd get the Helix Stomp.

The helix will let you only have 6 at a time and that includes an amp and cab so in the end you are left with...four again right? I read somewhere that it will get an update to have 8, and even thou, I have also read lots of people complaining about how fast you can hit DSP limitations with even using all 6 blocks. True?

On 4/25/2020 at 9:50 AM, Zordid-0 said:

Loved the analogy and I get it. I honestly believed that you were able to move effects around with the mooer ge250. Might as well just buy a headrush gigboard but the lack of updates, poor tuner and lack of fx's are holding me back from that, I would totally miss having the particle verb.

Wait. Is the issue with swapping out the Wah block for, say, a delay... or moving/reordering blocks? In POD Go you can move all the blocks in any order you wish (even weird orders, like cab before amp). Not sure about the Mooer, but there are plenty of affordable modelers that don't let you move things freely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I too have been looking very closely at Pod Go and as a gigging player it ticks a lot of boxes for me as I want a single 'one stop shop' that will do everything I need at a realistic price, simply, and in a compact lightweight but sturdy unit. 

Currently I gig using a Vox Tonelab SE. Still a great sounding unit that's hugely gig friendly, but it's a big heavy bugger (though not quite as big and heavy as a Helix!!) and although it was way ahead of its time in 2004, needless to say modelling quality & features have come along quite a way since then.  Not counting my G10 Relay, my last Line 6 purchase was in 1998/99 when I bought a Flextone II Plus Rig with extn cab and floorboard (essentially Pod in an amp in its day - if there are any oldies on here that might remember, in those days I was very active on the Line 6 forums under the handle 'Flexboy')  I kept the Flex II rig until around a year or two after I bought a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX (with extn cab & VC12 floor controller), when I then sold it because (sorry Line 6) the Vox was just so much better re sound, touch response, and feeling much more like a valve amp, and the FlexII wasn't getting used.  So I'm afraid it's been a while since I was a Line 6 customer.  

I love its concept, size, weight and (apart from certain shortfalls as below) its features including Helix evolved modeling. I love the 'snap shots' (very useful for a gigging player) and comparative 'plug n play' simplicity.  It looks good too, especially with its lit footswitches, and metal case and I'm sure typical Line 6 quality build and gig worthiness. I love the switchable vox/wah option (perfect for gigs especially when its global on any patch) and a whole load of other clever features (although re-amping is not something I'd use personally).  

Within my Vox Tonelab SE I can have 1 amp, 1 cab, 1 delay, 1 reverb, 1 modulation, 1 pedal, plus noise-gate, volume and expression pedal. It has an A/B switch that allows a different amp/cab to be switched between A/B in the same patch (but other fx have to be the same), tuner can be accessed in any mode with a single footswitch (there are no 'double footswitch' operations in the Tonelab SE or LE).  So when I think about it there's a surprising amount of similarity in the approach of the Pod Go to the Tonelab SE/LE which is probably why I think it would be a very comfortable fit for me.  Needless to say the Pod Go has way more modern day sophistication and advanced modelling, plus it's way smaller & lighter.

But as per the OP I'm disappointed that it's kind of dressed up to look like a sheep in wolf's clothing by which I mean it's been designed & marketed to make it look more powerful than it actually is. It really needs more than 4 'free' blocks. If I select a reverb, a delay,  a modulation and a distortion then that's it. If I want a compressor I can't add this unless I go without one of the existing FX. So from that perspective it's actually fundamentally very little different to my 16 year old Tonelab. And if I want looper, that takes up a block which means I can only use a looper on patches with 3 or less blocks.  I have a Zoom G5 that allows the looper to be global and used with any patch plus it doesn't take up a block.  Pod Go should have been given more processing power to allow 6 'flexible' blocks and a global looper.  

The other thing that is an absolute pet hate of mine is having to press two foot switches at the same time to enter a function. Fine if you're at home but NOT if you are at a gig and (especially with my small size 7 feet) have to worry about miss hitting these.  All functions in the Tonelab SE and LE are 'single button'.  But at least patch-up/down is single.  I did read in the manual that by adding two momentary non-latching external switches with a Y cable (that I have) then I can add two more fx stomp switches on top of the stock 4 or 6 (depending upon how you set up Pod Go) so that could be useful.  

The other pedal I'm seriously looking at is the Mooer GE300.  It has a 2 button issue too but you can set it for single footswitch operation by assigning control pedals so at least you have some options, and similarly you can add an external footswitch.  It has (I believe) a global looper plus rhythms, and a very useful tone capture feature that you can use for amp, cab or guitar. Live, that's a really useful feature - you can take a Les Paul and make it sound like a Strat & vice-a-versa.  It's more expensive though. I also like that it has a push button for each effect block type so you can get straight to an amp or cab model without having to go through a single menu that contains everything (as in my Zoom G5, which is very annoying!) 

In the UK the Mooer GE300 best price I've seen is £560 whereas Andertons are indicating a price of £399 for Pod Go once it's available.  However, I suspect the GE300 price will come down once Pod Go comes out.  The other 'impending' new kid on the block is the Zoom G11 which although is pretty odd and (let's be kind!) 'retro looking, has a ton of features too and from a floor control perspective looks to be very gig friendly.  But if the street price is £699  or even higher, then IMHO Zoom has missed the mark.  

So, my birthday is beginning of August and a I will be treating myself to a new MFX for home & (hopefully, once we are properly out of lockdown re Covid 19) gigging use.  I'd gladly have paid £100 more if Pod Go had more processing power re blocks, a global looper, and single footswitch operation throughout.  So if you're looking in Line 6, please take note because it could & frankly should have been an absolute no brainer.  As it is, it's only in 'definite maybe' territory.   Oh, btw before anyone suggests it - no, I don't want Helix stomp with an external floor controller (& it only has 6 blocks anyway!) and certainly not Helix or Helix LT due to cost, size, weight, complexity, and with a ton of features I don't need.  

On 5/7/2020 at 8:07 AM, voxman55 said:

So, my birthday is beginning of August and a I will be treating myself to a new MFX for home & (hopefully, once we are properly out of lockdown re Covid 19) gigging use.  I'd gladly have paid £100 more if Pod Go had more processing power re blocks, a global looper, and single footswitch operation throughout.  So if you're looking in Line 6, please take note because it could & frankly should have been an absolute no brainer.  As it is, it's only in 'definite maybe' territory.   Oh, btw before anyone suggests it - no, I don't want Helix stomp with an external floor controller (& it only has 6 blocks anyway!) and certainly not Helix or Helix LT due to cost, size, weight, complexity, and with a ton of features I don't need.  

I'm not a sales guy, but three things should be noted:

• If our models were less sophisticated, more blocks would fit in the same DSP (like older PODs)
  • If our product were a lot more expensive, we'd put a second DSP in and provide additional block locations (like Helix LT)
  • As it is, we've attempted to give people the biggest bang for the buck without sacrificing sonics. If another affordable box gives you more simultaneous blocks, it's not because it's more powerful; it's because the models aren't as sophisticated. AFAIK, POD Go has the most powerful SHARC in its class.

15 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

• If our models were less sophisticated, more blocks would fit in the same DSP (older PODs)
  • If our product were a lot more expensive, we'd put a second DSP in and provide additional block locations (Helix LT)
  • As it is, we've attempted to give people the biggest bang for the buck without sacrificing sonics. If another affordable box gives you more simultaneous blocks, it's not because it's more powerful; it's because the models aren't as sophisticated. AFAIK, POD Go has the most powerful SHARC in its class.

This POD Go sits perfectly in the space for which it was intended. I just got mine and am floored. Where the LT was too much for my needs, this Go is perfect! Home run guys!

On 5/7/2020 at 11:19 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

• If our models were less sophisticated, more blocks would fit in the same DSP (like older PODs)
  • If our product were a lot more expensive, we'd put a second DSP in and provide additional block locations (like Helix LT)

I do get that & I can probably cope & work around the DSP processing restrictions - and to be fair the looper is only a peripheral consideration. However, my absolute number one bugbear is having to press 2 foot-switches simultaneously to enter a function. On Pod Go you have to do this to switch between snapshot and preset mode, and you need to keep them pressed to scroll through these. At home it's a nuisance but it's an absolute no-no when gigging. It's awkward and uncomfortable and I do not want to have to worry about mis-hitting these with my small feet at a gig during a set. There is an option to add two momentary unlatched pedals but as far as I can see from the manual these only give you two extra stomp switches. Is there any way one extra switch can be set to be a single foot operation toggle between stomp and snapshot and the other a single foot controlled scroll? I know the Mooer GE300 also requires a double foot switch hit for certain functions BUT you can elect to nominate control switches for single function operation. It would be great if Line 6 was able to come up with a  similar solution to this please as for many gigging players this is a real problem.  In theory this should hopefully be fixable by a firmware update without causing any DSP issues.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, Pappy35 said:

This POD Go sits perfectly in the space for which it was intended. I just got mine and am floored. Where the LT was too much for my needs, this Go is perfect! Home run guys!

Hi @Pappy35 - just out of interest are you a regular gigging player or did you buy the Pod Go for predominantly home/recording use? 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, voxman55 said:

Hi @Pappy35 - just out of interest are you a regular gigging player or did you buy the Pod Go for predominantly home/recording use? 

I'm strictly a 'at home' player these days though I used to be a regular at open mics jams and the like. My only musical achievement (so far) are that I got paid to play once a full gig once and I played one set at the Cincy Blues Fest back in '06 (it was a set for all the volunteers)!  8-D

I decided a while ago to go down the modelling route and have been through a few. I started with a Fender Mustang III about 7 years ago (though I don't really think that counts in this company). I have a taste for boutique'y pedals but couldn't justify the expense so I bought a Headrush Gigboard and L6 HX Effects about 2 months ago as my first foray into 'modern' modelling solutions. I hated the Headrush almost immediately and I quickly found that I wanted amp modelling also so they both went back after a couple of weeks. 

Next up was the LT as the Pod Go had no release date in early March. It, obviously, had all the elements I wanted but was just too complicated (and expensive) for me. I learned a LOT from it however so it was a good experience. 

Now I have the Pod Go and, as I've posted, it's perfect for me (and I suppose a lot of people like me).

5 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

I'm strictly a 'at home' player these days though I used to be a regular at open mics jams and the like. My only musical achievement (so far) are that I got paid to play once a full gig once and I played one set at the Cincy Blues Fest back in '06 (it was a set for all the volunteers)!  8-D

I decided a while ago to go down the modelling route and have been through a few. I started with a Fender Mustang III about 7 years ago (though I don't really think that counts in this company). I have a taste for boutique'y pedals but couldn't justify the expense so I bought a Headrush Gigboard and L6 HX Effects about 2 months ago as my first foray into 'modern' modelling solutions. I hated the Headrush almost immediately and I quickly found that I wanted amp modelling also so they both went back after a couple of weeks. 

Next up was the LT as the Pod Go had no release date in early March. It, obviously, had all the elements I wanted but was just too complicated (and expensive) for me. I learned a LOT from it however so it was a good experience. 

Now I have the Pod Go and, as I've posted, it's perfect for me (and I suppose a lot of people like me).

Yeah, I kind of guessed that might be the case. For home use I can see why you think Pod Go is brilliant and a 'home run'.  But the reservations I raised re processing power (limitations of only 4 fully controllable blocks) and (perhaps more importantly) the 2 simultaneous foot switch issue are more likely to be of concern for gigging players.  If like me you play covers and need a wide range of tones and kick in distortions etc. 4 user blocks doesn't go as far as you might think. However,  re-thinking this I think I could live with 4 user blocks. This is partly because of the Pod Go's snapshot facility being a very useful feature, partly because I've realised that the EQ could be set as a volume boost for lead solos, and partly because Pod Go still gives me an option to insert an external fx eg a distortion or compressor pedal if I needed to.

However, having to press 2 foot-switches simultaneously live at a gig is a real issue for me & a lot of gigging players (based on  a lot of discussion over the years on various guitar forums on that theme) and I hope Line 6 can come up with a fix to address this.  Even Leo Gibson, in one of his vids comparing certain other pedals, expressed his preference for the pedal that had single foot switch capability because he would have similar concerns in a live gigging situation. If Line 6 can solve this, then I think Pod Go' will be the way to go for me and I suspect it would become even more attractive to quite a few others.  

Well, naturally since I'm only a home user my observation that it's "brilliant" is invalid. I yield to your greatness. I'll just go and throw it out the window now...

Puh...leeze...I don't really get your problem since I have no difficulty with the foot controls and manage to tap dance on it pretty well. You know, I've known at least 100 gigging, professional musician's that made a living playing covers live over the last 30 years. You know how many of them had trouble tap dancing with pedals? Not one (well, assuming they weren't drunk at the time of course 8-D). I know a one-man band kinda guy that has some huger looper AND a Helix floor that can, literally, lay up six layers with an acoustic-electric and his voice. Talk about tap dancing. He's does a 3-hour gig with nothing but himself and those multi-button rigs.

The problem is you're passing judgment because you either 1) haven't gotten accustomed to using the Go (yes, it does have compromises which don't mean squat to me and whole legions of other buyers of all different skill levels), or 2) you are too used to how others units work. You say this opinion is based on "a lot of discussions over the years on guitar forums" which doesn't mean much since the Go has been on the streets for, what, three weeks now?

I had a Headrush Gigboard for a week before I got my LT and I hated it. Given that I only had it for a week though I didn't go out and post long critiques based on that. I just didn't like it and that's OK. Maybe you just don't like the Go? That's OK too, I'm still thrilled with it and what it can do for what it cost.

12 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Yeah, I kind of guessed that might be the case. For home use I can see why you think Pod Go is brilliant and a 'home run'.  But the reservations I raised re processing power (limitations of only 4 fully controllable blocks) and (perhaps more importantly) the 2 simultaneous foot switch issue are more likely to be of concern for gigging players.  If like me you play covers and need a wide range of tones and kick in distortions etc. 4 user blocks doesn't go as far as you might think. However,  re-thinking this I think I could live with 4 user blocks. This is partly because of the Pod Go's snapshot facility being a very useful feature, partly because I've realised that the EQ could be set as a volume boost for lead solos, and partly because Pod Go still gives me an option to insert an external fx eg a distortion or compressor pedal if I needed to.

However, having to press 2 foot-switches simultaneously live at a gig is a real issue for me & a lot of gigging players (based on  a lot of discussion over the years on various guitar forums on that theme) and I hope Line 6 can come up with a fix to address this.  Even Leo Gibson, in one of his vids comparing certain other pedals, expressed his preference for the pedal that had single foot switch capability because he would have similar concerns in a live gigging situation. If Line 6 can solve this, then I think Pod Go' will be the way to go for me and I suspect it would become even more attractive to quite a few others.  

I had similar concerns about hitting two footswitches to get into snapshot mode on the HX Effects, but I have to say, it quickly became a non-issue. I’ve played a ton of gigs with it it now, and I really don’t find it difficult.

Hi @Pappy35 really sorry if you misinterpreted my post, as in no way was that intended to devalue your views. I was merely saying that 2 button operation isn't a problem for home users so from your perspective the Pod Go is a 'home run which I totally get.   The observation relates to any mfx that requires 2 footswitches to be pressed simultaneously.  For many gigging players it can be a real problem particularly if you have smaller feet.  

Tap dancing with single switch operation isn't the problem...it's the double switch. Some people can cope with it easily but others can't. Anyway, sorry again if Inadvertently came across as devaluing your views, genuine misunderstanding and wholly unintended.  

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I too bought a Pod Go and pre-covid gigged many several times a month for many years using a Boss ME80 which I loved.

The sounds of the Pod Go are superior but do wish that one or two extra effects would have been just perfect. Maybe if there was a little logic in-built that would give you an additional block if it was less DSP hungry or mono effects?

As a slight work around I have used a Pre-Amp Drive as a distortion or over drive but, I would love to have had a a compressor and delay in the mix.. 

Still love it, just could have adored it.. :-)

My band is 4 piece (drums, bass, singer and myself doing all the guitar work) which means that I don't have the luxury of dropping in and out to change user banks or pre-sets.  Basically, I need to be clever with the user defined pre-sets to and just change up or down depending on the song before it starts.

For that little extra cost that most would have been willing to pay, it could have been the hands down best mid-point multifx device on the market.

1 hour ago, timrobrus said:

Resurrecting an old thread,  but you can always put a commonly used pedal in the FX loop - in my case an ‘always on’ compressor - thereby freeing up an FX block.

However, in practice it's awkward with extra cables and power supplies. A better solution would be for Line 6 to offer a 5th block on a firmware upgrade, as it does have enough processing power to give valuable flexibility to add a compressor or distortion etc. 

Like you, I have this need. In the effect chain, there are 6 modules that cannot be deleted or changed. I only have 4 free modules. It bothers me.

According to line6, the DSP processing capacity of pod go is limited. Fixed six modules, they consume less resources, in most cases, can ensure that will not reach the limit of DSP.

However, I think that if all modules can be deleted or changed, users will naturally delete unnecessary modules, and DSP will not reach the limit. Unless all users use modules that consume more resources.

Line6 should be able to solve this problem through firmware update, but line6 does not seem to have such a plan.

After Baidu translation, it may be difficult to read.

On 5/10/2020 at 9:19 PM, voxman55 said:

I got mine always in Snapshot mode. If you press UP or Down footswitch you can see the programs, and if you hit MODE you enter to Stomp mode. 

Its a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:20 AM, voxman55 said:

However, in practice it's awkward with extra cables and power supplies. A better solution would be for Line 6 to offer a 5th block on a firmware upgrade, as it does have enough processing power to give valuable flexibility to add a compressor or distortion etc. 

= Catch 22 for line6. They could do it as with the STOMP and help the people who accept the fact that it is what it is in terms of DSP power for this price, but also they would run the risk of some people abusing the fiftth block for a second heavy DSP block, only to run even quicker into DSP limits and then starting an avalanche of complaints and negative vibes for this device.

Some other of the milion choices line6 had to make:

-how much free blocks to allow = (2 and never run into DSP limits or 4 or more and run less or more times into DSP limits

-how much DSP and RAM to put in for what price

-etc.

They had to do that also for the STOMP,Helix (LT) etc.

(ANd then try to offer a range with a good fit to all of us)

For me personally the GO came out nicely, just ordered one, and I think I will have lot of fun with using it (and exploring its limits/squeezing out the last bit of DSP power), like I did with the POD 2, POD XT, AMplifi and Firehwak.

(Home noodler, hardky remembering the last in stage activity).

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Tech 21 sansamp RK5 just before the pod released, I use it in the loop just for the reverb and delay. I dont need different proverbs or delays for different patches, so that works well for me. 

Also, I've found 2 different two-fer-ones. The legacy boost comp can be a comp and drive, and the dual delay could be set in mono for one pseudo-reverb and the other side for delay

2 hours ago, AaronKerr1979 said:

I dont need different proverbs or delays for different patches, so that works well for me. 

Patch 1: A rolling stone gathers no moss

Patch 2: A stitch in time saves nine

Patch 3: A watched kettle never boils.