Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv69 Neck Specifications

I know several people have reported that a standard strat neck will fit on a JTV69 body and can be used as a replacement.  I assume that the JTV69 machine heads will be transferrable to standard strat neck but I do know you can get different machine head hole sizes.

Have the exact specs for the JTV69 neck been published anywhere? (eg: all the measurements you would need to give to Warmoth to build a neck for you; nut width, neck pocket width and depth, machine head hole size etc).

I did not find anything on the Knowledge base.

PS: Does anyone know if a Variax 700 neck is a direct replacement for a JTV69 neck?

Thanks in advance.

I know several people have reported that a standard strat neck will fit on a JTV69 body and can be used as a replacement.  I assume that the JTV69 machine heads will be transferrable to standard strat neck but I do know you can get different machine head hole sizes.

Have the exact specs for the JTV69 neck been published anywhere? (eg: all the measurements you would need to give to Warmoth to build a neck for you; nut width, neck pocket width and depth, machine head hole size etc).

I did not find anything on the Knowledge base.

PS: Does anyone know if a Variax 700 neck is a direct replacement for a JTV69 neck?

Thanks in advance.

A strat neck might fit, but you'll have to do some sanding if you want it to feel the same. I've got both, and the heels are not the same at all.

A strat neck might fit, but you'll have to do some sanding if you want it to feel the same. I've got both, and the heels are not the same at all.

I know from the old forum several people reported replacing their stock necks with strat necks - some were warmoth custom necks.  They did say that one neck screw hole was different and that needed to be drilled to get the strat neck on - but nobody mentioned any sanding or other necessary alterations.

I am considering getting a 69 as there are some really good offers on at the moment (30% cheaper than standard price and brand new - not B stock).  The main benefit being the ability to have my own preferred neck put on.  But - I would want to make sure I get exactly the right measurements before placing an order at Warmoth or buying a finished neck from somewhere else.  

• Upvote 1

I have a MIghty-Mite Strat neck on mine and no shaping was required at all.  Just a matter of locating and drilling the mount holes.  I paid a local guitar tech $75 for his time just to get some peace of mind, but I probably could have done it myself.

The Warmoth necks are certainly nice, but about 4x the cost of the MightyMite IIRC. 

The machine heads mount with no issues at all.

I'm not saying a strat neck wont fit. There might very well be a number of drop in replacements, I haven't tried. But I'm staring at the backs of the Jtv and an American standard strat and the strat neck has a heel that's quite different. Its fatter, and has a rounded "plateau" if you will that juts out past the body by the screwplate. Kinda hard to describe. But even a quick glance and the difference is obvious, and it absolutley feels different. I'll post pics tomorrow. It's not contoured into the neck pocket the way the jtv is...I actually find it easier to access the higher frets on the jtv as a result.

I have a MIghty-Mite Strat neck on mine and no shaping was required at all.  Just a matter of locating and drilling the mount holes.  I paid a local guitar tech $75 for his time just to get some peace of mind, but I probably could have done it myself.

The Warmoth necks are certainly nice, but about 4x the cost of the MightyMite IIRC. 

The machine heads mount with no issues at all.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Do you know what size the tuner holes were on the mighty mite neck and also what they were on your original JTV69 neck?

All I can tell you is that they appear compatible with contemporary 6-inline precision tuners.  I originally had Schaller Minis, but swapped them out for the original Line6 machines a few months later.  Both had the identical hole size and retaining screw location.

All I can tell you is that they appear compatible with contemporary 6-inline precision tuners.  I originally had Schaller Minis, but swapped them out for the original Line6 machines a few months later.  Both had the identical hole size and retaining screw location.

Thank you.

Just looking at the specs that are published on the knowledge base, I noticed that the 59 and 89 have the standard 43mm nut width but for some reason the 69 has a 41mm nut width, which according to Warmoth is a vintage size.  Even Fender uses 42mm for its 60's and 50's CLASSIC PLAYER models.  So just wondered why James Tyler decided to go with the narrowest width for the 69 - even 42mm would have suited more people.   Anybody know why?  

Just looking at the specs that are published on the knowledge base, I noticed that the 59 and 89 have the standard 43mm nut width but for some reason the 69 has a 41mm nut width, which according to Warmoth is a vintage size.  Even Fender uses 42mm for its 60's and 50's CLASSIC PLAYER models.  So just wondered why James Tyler decided to go with the narrowest width for the 69 - even 42mm would have suited more people.   Anybody know why?  

He must have tiny hands...

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
16 hours ago, cubbini said:

Does anyone know if a Variax 700 neck is a direct replacement for a JTV69 neck?  Other than the holes.........

There's only one way to find out, but if I were a betting man, I'd say almost certainly not... any Strat replacement neck will fit the 69, though. Done it myself.