Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing issues with HXFX and amp Effects loop

haroldc37

Hi,

So this might be a bit long winded but i want to make sure i explain evertyhing as best i can. So im using the HXFX to channel switch, as well as control external drive pedals in front of my amp, via midi controller (morningstar ML5). I'd also like to run time based effects in the effects loop of my amp, but can not seem to figure out how to set this up in the unit itself.

If i run from send 1 to send on my amp, and return from amp to return 1, I get very little sound. Yes, i have checked the settings for line/inst levels...and theyre good.

if i run a cable from send 1 to send on my amp, i have volume, but my channel switching volume is cut, in that you can barely tell what channel is on, still loud, just no difference really.

I've read the manual, it wasn't helpful and i could not find any videos of the setup that were not 4cm, which is not what im after. I know that i can do this, because ive seen it used on other boards, i just really dont know how the routing should be inside the HXFX.

see pics below for how my board is set and also the HXedit of how i understand the routing should be.

I would appreciate any information at all.

routing.jpeg

board.jpeg

SEND connects to RETURN. This is how it works:

Guitar>Helix Input>Helix Effects>FX Send 1 Block>FX Return 2 Block>Helix Send 1>Outboard Effects>Amp Input>Amp FX Loop Send>Outboard Effects>Helix Return 2>Helix Effects>Helix Left/Mono Out>Amp FX Loop Return

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs you want the SEND configured as INSTRUMENT because it's either connecting to the Amp Input or the Input of the Outboard effect in front of the amp, and the RETURN as LINE because it's taking the amp's pre-amp signal back to the Helix.

You want the 1/4" OUTPUT configured to Instrument.

Play around with the Global Settings for the Send/Returns (Inst/Line) before fooling with the actual levels. Crank your amp so that you can hear the noise levels in the effects loops.

See NOTES.

NOTES: Bolded text indicates physical jacks on Helix. This is the way I configure My Helix Floor for my Egnator Tweaker 15/112 combo. I used to do this using a single effects loop. I'd been playing very quietly (apartment level). When I got a chance to crank it up I noticed a big hum in the effects loop. When I reconfigured it as above, the hum went away. YMMV.