Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + Yamaha THR10X

tud88

Hello! I appreciate anyone who takes time in giving advice on the following matter, as it’s not an issue with the Line 6 device. 

I have an HX Stomp. Used only for bedroom playing. Connected to a Network Receiver (Onkyo) through Phono input and a pair of quality passive speakers. Sound was decent. 

Recently I connected the Stomp to my Yamaha THR aux in. While the sound lost some of its “space” due to to the exposure of the Yamaha speakers vs the passive speakers being 3m (10ft) apart, the sound feels much more natural, almost as if it’s moving air. Simply put, better sounding. 

My question is, to anyone who’s had a Helix paired to a Yamaha THR or a set of active speakers: I’ve been thinking of getting a set of active speakers to connect straight to the Stomp. Is the sound quality compareable to the THR?

My feeling is the difference in sound (receiver + passive speakers vs THR) comes from the fact that the first combo colours the sound too much. I had to roll off the low end about 230-250hz on all presets to avoid boominess, whereas on the THR (and possibly on any active monitor) i can enjoy a bassy sound without issues due to it being closer to a FRFR. 

Once again, thanks a bunch to anyone who takes time to respond. Cheers!

For several years, I have really enjoyed using my THR10C with my Helix Floor (and more recently with an HX Stomp) either device fed to the THR10C's AuxIn. For range of comparison, aside from the THR10C I have a variety of other amps, near field studio monitors, main monitors, home theatre systems, and FRFR PA Monitors.

For near field use (at arms length or a slight bit farther) the THR10C does an outstanding job. I have done careful A/B comparisons with it vs. a pair of JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor, both at the same positions and distance relative to listening position (i.e near field arms length or a slight but farther). At low to moderate SPLs both are very comparable. The JBL LSR305s can get much louder and provide a more robust bottom end. However, at low to moderate SPLs the JBL's additional capabilities are not particularly emphasized. At double or triple the distance (i.e about 10') the JBL provide a broader, wider and more dimensional sound field, and also have the ability to provide higher SPLs with more bottom end, than the THR10C.

If your usage of the THR10X facilitates keeping it at near field, there is not much to gain from a 5" set of Studio Monitors -- at the same distance. However, if you prefer to have your speakers farther and wider then certainly consider a set of Studio Monitors. 

Most home stereo systems (reciever and speakers) have very different frequency emphasis curves than quality Studio Monitors. So, yes there will be a distinct difference, and the placement of the speakers also will affect the sound based on acoustic coupling to the nearby walls and floors. 

All in all, your preferences will determine which way to opt to go. Rest assured that your THR10X is giving you a very good listening experience, so long as you do not attempt to overdrive it to excessive SPLs or position it too far from your listening position. Also, the THR10 series has the ability to be powered on batteries, which I find to be wonderfully convenient, as it allows me to reposition it as I wish in the house, office, outdoors, couchside, etc.

Hope this helps. YMMV.