Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boot failure, 2.91 update

richardlilly

Hello, Helix editor quit, half way through the update process and now I have a boot failure.  When I try to reconnect, editor says connection interrupted.  Please let me know how to fix this error.  The update to 2.90 went without any problems, by the way.

Gents, I had the exact same problem and saw your post yesterday. While waiting for someone to reply, I ended up resolving it myself.

I can't say this is the ONLY solution, but I was able to connect my Helix and eventually get past with the update mode through Line 6 Updater.

Unlike doing it through HX Edit, Line 6 Updater recognized my Helix without any "connection interrupted" messages, and I let it run through the update successfully.

I think it's a bit silly that Line6 website makes a big deal out of people needing to follow the instructions carefully - yet I haven't seen any official post on this simple troubleshooting to save people's time and frustration.

I hope this works for you, too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You might as well try the offline update through the Line 6 updater. To me it seems as sometimes the Line 6 server doesn't work all too shiny, so it might be an idea to take it out of the equation. The Line 6 updater allows for an offline update (the flash updaters are available as separate downloads) whereas HX Edit doesn't.

I had the perfect storm of screw-ups when updating to 2.91.  The update kept failing, my device connection kept dropping, and eventually led to a boot failure.  It took a lot of steps to get back to normal I suggest checking some of these factors:

1.  Don't use the HX Edit "update now?" button, at least if you have a boot failure and want to re-download the update.  I tried using the "update mode" boot option with HX Edit, and it simply wouldn't recognize it.  Use the separate Line 6 updater that is installed whenever installing HXEdit.

2. Boot mode is accessed by holding buttons 6 and 12 when turning the switch on.

3. Helix USB driver installation is a complete @#$@#show by default, at least on my Windows 7 computer.  I found that when I plugged in, the device properties showed a "human interface driver" that was not working properly.  The Line 6 drivers were still listed, but this one rogue driver was wreaking havoc with my USB connection.  I ended up actually removing that driver from the Helix driver list, and then letting Windows find a "proper" driver to replace that one.  That said, you will also need to make sure the Line 6 drivers have been installed as well; if you don't see any in the properties list, update the driver manually by finding it in the Line 6 program files folder, under "tools" and driver archive.

4.  As others have said, the supplied USB cord is way too finicky.

When I updated through hx edit, every time after that I would boot up the helix it would rebuild all the presets.  Tried loading a backup, same issue.  So I redid the update through the line6 updater and all is well again.  My biggest fear with gear like this is tech issues but I'm glad I have it back to normal again

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, trollpickreport said:

i changed the cable to another usb port, entered update mode (switches 11 & 12), stoped using the editor and instead update with line6 updater and worked

My cable was fine, but choosing the update mode and the line6 updater worked for me. Thanks!

To Line6: Why, just why guys?

1 hour ago, Alexi_6000 said:

My cable was fine, but choosing the update mode and the line6 updater worked for me. Thanks!

To Line6: Why, just why guys?

Not Line 6, but why what?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...