Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix presets sound weak/thin

deparko

Greetings,

I just purchased Jason Sadites presets. When I listen to his video on the presets they sound awesome. When I download I import them into my Helix LT they sound weak/thin. The delays seem over saturated. Btw, this happens for most of the presets I get from others. Is there some global thing I’m missing. Volumn levels? I’ve been searching to the answer for some time. Extremely frustrating. I have created some very nice “clean” presets but most presets I buy sound crappy even though the creators videos have them sounding great. Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated. I’m starting to think the Helix is not for me.

The most common explanation for this is the output connections from Helix. I believe Jason’s presets are designed for direct output to studio monitors, FRFR speakers, or mixer/PA system. If your Helix output is connected to the input of a regular guitar amp it’s almost guaranteed to sound like $hite.

Describe your output equipment and we’ll ty to help.

Just a WAG here as I am 0.01% into learning the Helix but a constant theme I have seen is many of the presets we can download are built for stereo and if you run mono out 1) They are not going to sound as good and 2) you need to make changes to the preset or they will sound pretty bad, usually because of the L/R mix balance they used on FX like delay.  If you are running them in stereo, nevermind.

Common question:

"I bought presets that sound great on YT, but they sound awful on my system."

First thing to ask. Are you using the same guitar as the YT guy?

Are your Global Input settings the same?

Are you listening through the same playback system you listened to the YT vid on?

If your guitar is at least close, record yourself into a DAW over USB (digital direct). 

Odds are, if it sounded good on YT, the creator was not recording it in the room on their iPhone.

Play back the recording through the same system you listened to the YT vids on.

How does it sound? Better? No?

Put an EQ on the recorded track. Does that help?

If YES, then do the same on your preset. Better?

"But why should I have to do all that, I PAID for these presets to sound GOOD!"

You DON'T have to do all that.

There's a common saying about modelers.

"Everybody else's presets suck."

Learn how to make your own. YT has LOTS of "How to" vids. Check out Jason Sadites.

On your purchased presets, turn the knobs until it sounds good. That's what they're there for!

Fed up with tweaking?

Sell your modeler, buy a tube amp and an analog pedal-board, and then.....

Turn the knobs until it sounds good.

Final thoughts. Modelers are not magic, it takes practice and patience to make them sound good.

Today's modelers all sound good, but 90% of the way they sound is the playback system.

Everybody's ears are different.

Modelers are not everybody's cup of tea.

If you're not having fun, it's not for you, do something else!

Final final. If you spend some time on the Digital and Modeling Forum on The Gear Page, you'll find lots of people who:

Sold their tube amp and pedal-board.

Bought a Helix. Sold it.

Bought a Kemper. Sold it.

Bought a Fractal. Sold it.

Bought another Helix. Decided it was GREAT!

Or some variation of the above with a different end result.

Stick with your Helix, learn how to use it.

And HAVE FUN!

Do I NEED another cup of coffee?

• Upvote 3

Lots of great insight in the replies.thanks..I have my Helix LT going directly into my 13” MacBook Pro. I’m using good quality studio headphones plugged directly into the Helix. I also have some studio monitors (JBL LSR305) hooked up to the Helix. I’ll definitely experiment with the presets and check the stereo/mono issue. Sounds like the sound is there I just have to discover it through study/practice/etc.  thanks

I would also make sure you have everything set up correctly on your LSR305.  If things are sounding weak/thin my first response is how do you have your speakers positioned.  LSR305's are rear reflex speakers so they're highly dependent upon being positioned correctly with a rear surface to get the bass frequencies full and correct.  Check the manual and see what those speakers expect in terms of signal levels on the 1/4" and XLR inputs and ensure you've matched those signal levels (Line level, Mic level, or Instrument level) on the Helix global ins/outs.  Make sure your trims are set flat and your volume is around noon.  That should give you a very flat response on your speakers.